Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should Irish be an optional subject not a cumpulsory one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,015 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Jess16 wrote: »
    Says who -you? Again with the large-scale assumptions. It may come as a shock to all you trend-driven 20 year olds but lots of us actually value a bit of history and are proud to be Irish and all it entails.

It may also come as a shock to you hard-ass conservative 40 year olds that lots of is actually don't give a monkey's.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

56% in favour is still more than 44% ambivalent or against.
    As I pointed out; "Now look at the questions themselves. Of that 56% how many are "somewhat" in favour? More "Meh, but yea I suppose so"? If that's a large chunk of that cohort it makes a difference. Slanted questions tend to get you slanted answers.". How does one define "somewhat"? Lumping in somewhat with fervently for is not good practice. You mention ambivalence? Somewhat is a very close approximation to ambivalent.
    For such an ancient language to yield those results in this modern age, I wouldn't call that in trouble at all
    The results, nay the methodology are biased and flawed and that bias and flawed thinking sets out it's stall in their introduction. Annnd we're back to mascara ads on telly. Ancient language? The Irish language today is a very different and arguably much contracted version of the old Irish it claims an unbroken connection with. I can pretty much guarantee that your grasp of Irish today will leave you floundering when faced with the complexity of that ancient tongue. If you were for it's reintroduction you'd more likely find a fellow compadre in me on that score. "Oirish" pidgin I can do without.
    pretty ironic though that you're implying the stats are skewed when you're coming out with biased comments like that
    Hardly. I'm reading the same "stats" (based on minute statistical groups) as they are.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    As an aside you can't post in irish without giving a translation.
    Ní fiú bheith ag caint sa comhrá gan ciall = "no point having this talk if [you're/we're] not talking sense". I think. My Gaelige aint great, but that seems to be the gist, if a little awkward in the original.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ancient language? The Irish language today is a very different and arguably much contracted version of the old Irish it claims an unbroken connection with. I can pretty much guarantee that your grasp of Irish today will leave you floundering when faced with the complexity of that ancient tongue. If you were for it's reintroduction you'd more likely find a fellow compadre in me on that score. "Oirish" pidgin I can do without.

The arrogance on this forum really knows no bounds. Not that it's any of your business but I am a fluent Irish speaker Wibbs and have also studied Sean-Ghaeilge extensively at university to degree level, in addition to writing essays on 17th Century Old Irish Syllabic Bardic poetry, trí mhéan na Gaeilge -so you can leave out the sneering "Oirish pidgin" references please.

Your argument might appear more substantial if it wasn't primordially based on biased assumptions about things you clearly know nothing about so save your rudeness for those who deserve it.

Hence I said "pretty much". It's called a qualification.

• Advertisement

More to the point, your background marks you out as an interested party. Hardly representative of the whole you claim to speak for is it? Just as I would call bias in a Latin scholar for suggesting a return to that language, I call bias for you.

In any event the link provided earlier is still lacking regardless of your claimed erudition in the subject. A claim to authority is usually associated with both arrogance and assumption so I think we're even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

More to the point, your background marks you out as an interested party. Hardly representative of the whole you claim to speak for is it? Just as I would call bias in a Latin scholar for suggesting a return to that language, I call bias for you.

Coming from the poster who has regularly called Irish speakers "Nazis" your personal attack on somebody else for allegedly being an "interested party" and having "bias" is comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

I said it before and Ill say it again. Irish is a complete an utter pain in the hole. Any secondary school students out there reading this I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

That study is so slanted it's beyond laughable. For a start the sample groups tend to be tiny and the demographics chosen somewhat vague. I'd put as much store in most of that "study" as I would the studies backing up an ad for wrinkle reduction cream. Even then their conclusions are equally dubious. When you look at the overall picture, it's not as definitive as you suggest.

EG Irish language as a basis for Irish unity/identity. The figures break down overall to 30% agree it is. OK, but ranged against that are the cumulative figures for neither agree/disagree, don't know and disagree come to 66 odd per cent. Basically "Meh". This is pretty consistent throughout the various results with a few outliers.

On the aspirations for preservation of the language a tiny amount want Irish only. Naturally as that would be eye swivelingly daft. An equally tiny amount want it bilingual with Irish as the main language. Between them near 10% mind you. The real hardcore. People you don't want to hem you in on a bus seat. Bilingual with English as principle is a third. That makes more sense. The largest group at over 50% want it preserved in the Gaelthact and for cultural type stuff, no bilingual there. 7% want it discarded. Equal in scale to the nutters that might ruin your bus trip. That 50% seem happy to keep it alive, but not quite in their backyard. In their backyard again we have the "meh" factor. So your "93% in favour of Preserving/Promoting Irish in the future" is a nice bit of statistical massaging, but on further analysis doesn't quite break down that way. And this is a clearly biased and small sample group "study". Though for a change that sample group is larger. A full(well nearly) thousand people. I know. Tickle me with a feather and colour me impressed. Not. A couple are literally in the range of eyelash enhancements "surveys" with sample groups of 200 odd and the like.

On the "Now:
    56% either somewhat or strongly in Favor
    11% either somewhat or strongly opposed."
    . Cool and the gang, but what about the 33%? More "meh"? Add them to the opposed we get Meh with a hint of feck off at 44%. Now look at the questions themselves. Of that 56% how many are "somewhat" in favour? More "Meh, but yea I suppose so"? If that's a large chunk of that cohort it makes a difference. Slanted questions tend to get you slanted answers.

If that's what passes for scholarship into the Irish language, it's in trouble. It's about as one sided as a one legged man in a leaning contest and just as crap standing up as conclusive proof of anything.

I fully understand where you are comming from, but my use of that survey is not to try to claim that 93% or anything like it give two shíts about the language.

Please bear in mind the context I used the survey in.

I was challenging the claim that compulsion is a causal factor in the decline of Irish because it invariably/in most cases/in many cases causes resentment to the subject that is compulsory, and that resentment of Irish is widespread.

I post a source that supports my position when asked, a source which also happens to be the most relevant piece of research there is on the topic which shows that 93% don't seem to hold any resentment/hatred for Irish.
    Someone who is 'meh' about the language can not be said to resent/hate it it, so adding them to the total said to resent/hate the language would be nonsense.

If you have a problem with the survey, you might like to get in touch with NUI Maynouth about their research methodology, I am sure they will be happy to explain/defend it.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The question asked is ridiculous.

If you want to find out how people felt about about the language when they were in school and how they feel about it now, is this not a balanced question:

'Which of the following best describe the way you felt about Irish when in school and the way you feel now?'
    -Strongly in favour
    -Somewhat in favor
    -No particular feelings
    -Somewhat opposed
    -Strongley opposed

If not, why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

So lets take a look at your argument again, going to school is compulsory, have you a long-lasting resentment and antagonism twords school?
    The vast majority of people who have gone through the Irish education system has been forced to do Maths, English, History, Science, Geography, CSPE and depending on the school you could have been forced to do a language, Art, Home Ec, Tech Drawing, Metal/Woodwork etc at some point, why no resentment/hatred for these subjects?
    If compulsion is the causal factor in resentment/hatred, then anything that is compulsory will be resented/hated, this is clearly not the case as far as I can see.

You're missing the point. Other subjects like Maths, Sciences, Foreign Languages, Home Ec, History, English, Geography and Practical Subjects are all relevant and have a good reason to be compulsory. Why?

.Maths - teaches basic addition, subtraction, division, teaches calculations, arithmitic, graphs. Maths skills will also help you manage your money. Maths has helped bring technology to where it is today and will continue to do so, as long as each generation is taught it. Maths is involved in almost everything in this world.

.Sciences - give you an understanding of life, biology, physics, chemistry. Every object, solid, liquid or gas is created through biology, physics, or chemistry. Biology for example has helped me understand viruses better - I won't waste money on antibiotics when I have a bad cold, because antibiotics don't help cure viral illnesses. That's useful knowledge.

.Foreign Languages - are very useful if planning to visit non-English-speaking countries, which most of us will do at some point in our lives.

.English - teaches letter-writing skills, debating skills, how to spell, read and write and teaches you countless new words, as well as how to write stories. Vital skills we'll all need.

.History - teaches us of events of the past which influence the world we live in today. eg how Ireland got it's independence, WW1, WW2, the Cold War.

.Geography - for example teaches you how to read maps. A very useful and potentially a life-saving skill if lost. Geography teaches us how the world works, both physically and economically. We do live on Earth after all, it would make sense to know how it works, by learning about it's physical features, how weather works, it's effects and a bit of economics too.

.Home Ec - teaches cooking skills, which are useful around the house and can let you decrease reliance on parents a bit.

.Art - can make you money.

.Practical Subjects, eg Wood - very useful for DIY skills if let's say I want to build my own furniture at home then I can with a bit of knowledge and experience with joinery methods, using power tools, measurements, etc. Construction studies also teaches you how houses are built, foundations, how roofs are made, Planning Permission, Site Safety, Insulation, how building materials are made, etc. These I know will be extremely useful to me in the future.

Irish on the other hand will never be relevant enough to justify it being compulsory. It's taught badly, a small minority only actually use it for day-to-day communication. Note ''small minority''. If no one else you know can speak it back to you, never speaks it, or don't know how to speak it, then there's no real reason for it being compulsory. It's a huge waste of money and an even bigger waste of time for those who will not use it. If the government actually cared about Irish, then they would've reformed it's teaching and also likely would have removed it as a mandatory subject a long time ago. If it's worth teaching, it's worth teaching right. Irish is more of a hobby language and should be optional to suit both those who have shown interest and commitment to the language, and those who don't take the same interest and would rather spend their time and resources learning something they actually value. Then everyone's happy in this case.

I've explained this link between compulsion and resentment before. I'll use more examples. Car insurance is compulsory for all drivers - no one likes being forced to pay car insurance. If Mandarin was compulsory for example, even if you knew you were never going to visit China, wouldn't you resent being forced to learn Mandarin? There certainly is a link.

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Coming from the poster who has regularly called Irish speakers "Nazis" your personal attack on somebody else for allegedly being an "interested party" and having "bias" is comical.
    Find me one post where I called Irish speakers Nazis. Let the Search be your friend. For extra points and the prize of a fun packed all expenses paid holiday abroad find regular examples of it. I'll save you the trouble, you won't, but maybe it would be polite to hold back on the accusations and fibs until you do?

I was simply making the point that someone whose primary educational interest to degree level is the study of a subject is unlikely to be exactly unbiased towards that subject. If their future or current employment is dependent on said subject in the context of the OP then they're clearly "biased" in both opinion and practical terms. Turkeys won't vote for Xmas. Put it another way, would you frame a survey asking for independent opinions on the value of the sciences among science teachers and then claim it representative?

Someone who is 'meh' about the language can not be said to resent/hate it it, so adding them to the total said to resent/hate the language would be nonsense.
    Yet adding them to the total of "in favour" is not nonsense?
    If you want to find out how people felt about about the language when they were in school and how they feel about it now, is this not a balanced question:

'Which of the following best describe the way you felt about Irish when in school and the way you feel now?'
    -Strongly in favour
    -Somewhat in favor
    -No particular feelings
    -Somewhat opposed
    -Strongley opposed

If not, why?
    Oh the questions are not the issue, however the breakdown of the answers is. It's all about the interpretation of the results and IMHO those results(and the tiny numbers involved) are interpreted with an element of bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Who knows, maybe the possibility of cutting it, will be examined, as a cost saving option.

Yet adding them to the total of "in favour" is not nonsense?

Wibbs, please stop trying to twist things to suit your argument, its compleatly dishonnest.

There were two seperate questions, one on future aspirations for the language, the other on how people felt about the language when they were in school and now.

Only one of those questions identified a group that were 'meh' about the language, for that question I said:
    56% either somewhat or strongly in Favor
    11% either somewhat or strongly opposed.

Note, I did not in fact try to add the 'Meh group' to the total for in Favor.

However you on the other hand did try to add it to the opposed section to try and scew the result from 11% opposed to 44%
    Cool and the gang, but what about the 33%? More "meh"? Add them to the opposed we get Meh with a hint of feck off at 44%.

I did not try to add the 'meh' group to those identified as either somewhat or strongly in favor.

Cop on.

GaryIrv93 wrote: »

You're missing the point. Other subjects like Maths, Sciences, Foreign Languages, Home Ec, History, English, Geography and Practical Subjects are all relevant and have a good reason to be compulsory. Why?

.Maths - teaches basic addition, subtraction, division, teaches calculations, arithmitic, graphs. Maths skills will also help you manage your money. Maths has helped bring technology to where it is today and will continue to do so, as long as each generation is taught it. Maths is involved in almost everything in this world.

.Sciences - give you an understanding of life, biology, physics, chemistry. Every object, solid, liquid or gas is created through biology, physics, or chemistry. Biology for example has helped me understand viruses better - I won't waste money on antibiotics when I have a bad cold, because antibiotics don't help cure viral illnesses. That's useful knowledge.

.Foreign Languages - are very useful if planning to visit non-English-speaking countries, which most of us will do at some point in our lives.

.English - teaches letter-writing skills, debating skills, how to spell, read and write and teaches you countless new words, as well as how to write stories. Vital skills we'll all need.

.History - teaches us of events of the past which influence the world we live in today. eg how Ireland got it's independence, WW1, WW2, the Cold War.

.Geography - for example teaches you how to read maps. A very useful and potentially a life-saving skill if lost. Geography teaches us how the world works, both physically and economically. We do live on Earth after all, it would make sense to know how it works, by learning about it's physical features, how weather works, it's effects and a bit of economics too.

.Home Ec - teaches cooking skills, which are useful around the house and can let you decrease reliance on parents a bit.

.Art - can make you money.

.Practical Subjects, eg Wood - very useful for DIY skills if let's say I want to build my own furniture at home then I can with a bit of knowledge and experience with joinery methods, using power tools, measurements, etc. Construction studies also teaches you how houses are built, foundations, how roofs are made, Planning Permission, Site Safety, Insulation, how building materials are made, etc. These I know will be extremely useful to me in the future.

Irish on the other hand will never be relevant enough to justify it being compulsory. It's taught badly, a small minority only actually use it for day-to-day communication. Note ''small minority''. If no one else you know can speak it back to you, never speaks it, or don't know how to speak it, then there's no real reason for it being compulsory. It's a huge waste of money and an even bigger waste of time for those who will not use it. If the government actually cared about Irish, then they would've reformed it's teaching and also likely would have removed it as a mandatory subject a long time ago. If it's worth teaching, it's worth teaching right. Irish is more of a hobby language and should be optional to suit both those who have shown interest and commitment to the language, and those who don't take the same interest and would rather spend their time and resources learning something they actually value. Then everyone's happy in this case.

I've explained this link between compulsion and resentment before. I'll use more examples. Car insurance is compulsory for all drivers - no one likes being forced to pay car insurance. If Mandarin was compulsory for example, even if you knew you were never going to visit China, wouldn't you resent being forced to learn Mandarin? There certainly is a link.

This is hilarious, seriously, you claimed Compulsion will cause resentment/hatred, plain and simple, now is this the case or not, obviously not because you have been backtracking since you said it, including giving a justification as to why it won't apply to just about every school subject I could think of, so why can't you just admit it?

You have not shown a link between resentment and compulsion, you have said there is ad infinatum, but you have not show it.

You claimed that compulsion is the main reason for widespread resentment/hatred of Irish and is the main factor in its decline. For your argument to hold true you first have to back up your claim that there is widespread resentment/hatred of Irish, and then show that the cause is compulsion, you have done neither of these things.

Wibbs, please stop trying to twist things to suit your argument, its compleatly dishonnest.

Eh, hello? Pot? Kettle...? You're not white you know.
    There were two seperate questions, one on future aspirations for the language, the other on how people felt about the language when they were in school and now.

Neither of which is relevant to the topic. It's been twisted into an argument based on "future aspirations of the language" and "how people feel abotu the language at school and now" because you can't come up with a suitable argument for the argument in question.

This is hilarious, seriously, you claimed Compulsion will cause resentment/hatred, plain and simple, now is this the case or not, obviously not because you have been backtracking since you said it, including giving a justification as to why it won't apply to just about every school subject I could think of, so why can't you just admit it?

And I anwered this with a post which, as usual, you convienantly ignored. Here it is again.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Neither of which is relevant to the topic. It's been twisted into an argument based on "future aspirations of the language" and "how people feel abotu the language at school and now" because you can't come up with a suitable argument for the argument in question.

It is relevant to the claim that there is widespread resentment/hatred of Irish caused by compulsion.
    And I anwered this with a post which, as usual, you convienantly ignored. Here it is again.

That does not show that compulsion is the causal factor in them disliking it, which is what the poster was trying to claim.
    If compulsion is not making people people dislike the subject, making it optional is not a solution to that problem.

The argument you're making is that if someone dislikes the language, they should not be forced to do it, thats fair enough, I have no problem with that as an argument.
    He is claiming that compulsion is causing people to dislike Irish and that that is a reason to make it optional, thats what I am challenging.

It is relevant to the claim that there is widespread resentment/hatred of Irish caused by compulsion.

But not relvant to the thread, because it doesn't touch the pros and cons as it relates to Leaving Cert students or to the education system.

You're going down a side alley, here. FWIW, I think it's been a contributor (probably a main one), but not the sole cause. It certainly was the main cause in my case, but that's anecdotal.
    That does not show that compulsion is the causal factor in them disliking it, which is what the poster was trying to claim.
    If compulsion is not making people people dislike the subject, making it optional is not a solution to that problem.

You don't need statistical evidence to show that there is a lot of resentment amongst Leaving Cert students for the language. Nor do you need statistical evidence to show that, having shown a dislike for a subject or activity - not specific to Irish - that forcing them to continue is going to harbour further resentment. By the time they hit the leaving cert, they'll have done it for 9 or 10 years. They will know whether or not the like it.

Whether compulsion or not is the cause of said dislike is irrelvant. The question is, would they be better off, academically speaking, if they were allowed to choose something else for the last two years. No one has yet given me a good argument saying 'no'.

The problem is that you are arguing would the language be better off, when, quite frankly, it doesn't matter. The aim of the Leaving Cert is NOT to promote or preserve the language.
    He is claiming that compulsion is causing people to dislike Irish and that that is a reason to make it optional, thats what I am challenging.

It is a cause, as I said at the top of this post, and a good reason for making it optional. Why would you disagree with this reason for making it optional? Or are you saying there is NO resentment at all?

It is a cause, as I said at the top of this post, and a good reason for making it optional. Why would you disagree with this reason for making it optional? Or are you saying there is NO resentment at all?

I am not saying there is no resentment at all, just that there is little to show it is very widespread, and that I don't believe compulsion is a major factor in causing what there is of it, though if someone dislikes Irish for some reason, compulsion will play into that dislike.

In my opinion compulsion is only a side issue to the teaching of Irish and what causes some people to dislike it.

Put it this way, if you go out on the street and ask a people 'What is wrong with Irish in school'
    I bet you the resounding answer you will get back is not 'Its compulsory' but 'How its taught'

• Advertisement

I am not saying there is no resentment at all, just that there is little to show it is very widespread, and that I don't believe compulsion is a major factor in causing what there is of it, though if someone dislikes Irish for some reason, compulsion will play into that dislike.
    Fair enough.
    In my opinion compulsion is only a side issue to the teaching of Irish and what causes some people to dislike it.

Put it this way, if you go out on the street and ask a people 'What is wrong with Irish in school'
    I bet you the resounding answer you will get back is not 'Its compulsory' but 'How its taught'

I would have said lack of usage outside of school trumps both of them. Which is why, if the lanaguge were the issue, I would say that what happens outside of school should be of more concern to the Irish-language advocate than what happens in school.

But it still brings us back to square one: irrespective of what the cause is, and irresective of what the effect will be on the langauge, why should a dissatisfied student not be allowed to drop the subject (or any other subject, for that matter) in favour of something more relevant to them, having had 10 years experience of it?

But it still brings us back to square one: irrespective of what the cause is, and irresective of what the effect will be on the langauge, why should a dissatisfied student not be allowed to drop the subject (or any other subject, for that matter) in favour of something more relevant to them, having had 10 years experience of it?

Well the main issue is that if you are going to make Irish optional, you have to reform the curriculum, regardless of how good or bad the current one is, it is compleatly unsuitable for being optional. If you have to reform the curriculum (And you really really do) then it is better to do that while the subject is still compulsory, give it time to bed in, and then make it optional rather than make it optional and then run around trying to fix it.
    This has the added benefit of buliding in time to develop a workable structure to replace compulsory Irish, and really these things need time to be developed if you want to do it right, no one wants problems poping up down the line because no one had time to plan out the reforms they were making properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

This thread will be wrapping up soon, so final thoughts and all that.

I think a lot of people here need to get over themselves and find something more constructive to get angry about -so bloody what if people are willing to learn or lend support to a language unique to our country?

This is Ireland, not some little mid-Atlantic stopoff that only exists to cater to whatever other nationality decides to drop by. We need to reclaim our country, start making our own rules and regulations and preserving our authenticity instead of pandering to other people's expectations.

Well the main issue is that if you are going to make Irish optional, you have to reform the curriculum, regardless of how good or bad the current one is, it is compleatly unsuitable for being optional. If you have to reform the curriculum (And you really really do) then it is better to do that while the subject is still compulsory, give it time to bed in, and then make it optional rather than make it optional and then run around trying to fix it.
    This has the added benefit of buliding in time to develop a workable structure to replace compulsory Irish, and really these things need time to be developed if you want to do it right, no one wants problems poping up down the line because no one had time to plan out the reforms they were making properly.

In what way is the current system "unsuitable for being optional"?

Again, this is what suits the language, not what suits the student and the education system.

For one thing, the key reforms (I would imagine) will be brought in at primary school level. It's a good 5 to 10 years before they do the leaving. How does this effect students that are going to do the leaving in the next five years or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I think a lot of people here need to get over themselves and find something more constructive to get angry about -so bloody what if people are willing to learn or lend support to a language unique to our country?

This is Ireland, not some little mid-Atlantic stopoff that only exists to cater to whatever other nationality decides to drop by. We need to reclaim our country, start making our own rules and regulations and preserving our authenticity instead of pandering to other people's expectations.

Close the borders and chat as Gaelige to one another....good luck with that one! :rolleyes:
    What seems to stick in the craw of Gaelgoers is the fact that we are seen as a unique culture despite the fact that we don't speak Irish anymore. How would all of us speaking Irish change or inform our cultural output? They ain't exactly parachuting in to read the nuggets of literary wisdom in Peig, are they?

In what way is the current system "unsuitable for being optional"?

LC Irish is a two paper exam with an oral exam included, do you really expect students to choose to do a subject that has two papers and an oral, and way more to learn for the same points over one of the existing optional subjects?

Not to mention that currently there is more class time for the Irish course than the existing optional courses, meaning that Irish will not fit as an interchangable option on a time table, square peg, round hole.
    Again, this is what suits the language, not what suits the student and the education system.

Bad reforms to the education system are not in the students interest. Making Irish optional with out reforming its curriculum and havng a workable replacement for it is a bad reform that will damage the education system.
    For one thing, the key reforms (I would imagine) will be brought in at primary school level. It's a good 5 to 10 years before they do the leaving. How does this effect students that are going to do the leaving in the next five years or so?

What would you suggest be done? Rush in and make Irish optional straight away? I don't think that is very praticle.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Close the borders and chat as Gaelige to one another....good luck with that one! :rolleyes:
    What seems to stick in the craw of Gaelgoers is the fact that we are seen as a unique culture despite the fact that we don't speak Irish anymore. How would all of us speaking Irish change or inform our cultural output? They ain't exactly parachuting in to read the nuggets of literary wisdom in Peig, are they?

No, they're parachuting in to pick up some free social welfare without caring less about making any contribution to this country, cultural or otherwise. Probably why we're in the midst of our biggest economic crisis to date right now.

Also, who said anything about 'all of us' speaking Irish? Or Peig? Or closing the borders? It seems that bitterness, sarcasm and ignorance are the only comeback for the anti-Irish warriors here -clearly a waste of time trying to have a constructive debate within this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It was a very good debate until the above ^
    If all else fails try a bit of fascism, i.e. WE know what's good for you, obey!

• Advertisement

LC Irish is a two paper exam with an oral exam included, do you really expect students to choose to do a subject that has two papers and an oral, and way more to learn for the same points over one of the existing optional subjects?

Not to mention that currently there is more class time for the Irish course than the existing optional courses, meaning that Irish will not fit as an interchangable option on a time table, square peg, round hole.

First point, irrelvant. The reasons for choosing subjects are the students' own.
    Second point, simple timetabling issue. Not hard to sort out. School redo timetables every year.

Bad reforms to the education system are not in the students interest. Making Irish optional with out reforming its curriculum and havng a workable replacement for it is a bad reform that will damage the education system.

How?

What would you suggest be done? Rush in and make Irish optional straight away? I don't think that is very praticle.

Again, I never suggested "rushing in".

suggested prioritising the students needs, not the langauge needs, which would mean prioritising amkign the langauge optinoal at leaving cert rather than reforming it at primary level.

Although, to be honest, I can't see why they can't happen simultaneously. Although reform will take a hell of a lot more time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement