Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

RainyDay wrote: »

You seem to misunderstand a few things. First, cyclists don't just get to use the roads when there are no cars around. Cyclists get to use the roads all the time. This idea that cyclists are supposed to pull over when cars are around is nonsense. Cars crawling through town at 5kpmh don't pull over for cyclists to allow faster moving traffic to proceed. So I've no idea why they expect cyclists to pull over.

Jesus christ what is it with cyclists I really do wonder in every cycle shop do they have a little room were upon a bike purchase they bring you into the back and firmly place there heads up there arse.

Your right cyclist don't have to but heres a tip it's a thing called common courtesy towards your fellow road user.

Lets say I'm on a road holding up a car behind me at the fist chance I get I will make it easy for them to pass me I don't have to but shock horror I'm not a prick and let them pass. Same goes for someone on a motorbike. Just because you have a right to be on the road as cyclists love to shout as loud as they can doesn't mean you cant be courtious.

Also your comparison between a country road with cyclists holding up cars and a city centre gridlock is the biggest load of shiite I've ever read.

People do notice people doing stupid things in there cars hence this thread it still doesn't exempt cyclists from the the things they do either.

You posted a llink to the things cyclists see on the streets of Dublin, hate to break it to you but driving in the city Centre you see a lot of idiots on bikes to who have no regard for cars, lights pedestrians. I for one had a cyclist bounce of my mirror whilst topped at a red light bend it back and cycle off without even an apology when I finally caught up to her and gave her a peace of my mind she was bemused saying sure its fine. There are just as many bad cyclists out there as there are bad drivers so give over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

RainyDay wrote: »
    I find it a bit strange when some people moan about cyclists breaking red lights, but don't seem to notice cars breaking red lights, or drivers on the phones, or drivers with broken tail lights, or whatever.
    Here's some examples of what is seen on the streets of Dublin every day. Yes, some cyclists do break traffic lights and some other rules of the road.
    You do realise this thread is almost exclusively posts, along with video evidence, of sh1te driving?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I feel this talk of cyclists is kind of sort of going off topic here. More vids, less ranting and raving!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

<post removed by moderator>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

<post removed by moderator>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

The problem with owning the road is that there's always one person who doesn't know you do, then they leave a big ass trailer in your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Not a dash cam video I know, but one of the luckiest cyclists ever caught on video!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

And he got a free mattress!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

And he got a free mattress!

That motorist was very obliging, don't see it often enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

A random 5 minute dashcam video from Poland I found on youtube.
    It shows pedestrian getting hit on pedestrian crossing.
    I don't encourage anyone to watch it, but it might be interesting to see random peoples reactions at the scene of accident. Something worth giving a though how to react if anyone encounters something like that on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

CiniO wrote: »
    A random 5 minute dashcam video from Poland I found on youtube.
    It shows pedestrian getting hit on pedestrian crossing.
    I don't encourage anyone to watch it, but it might be interesting to see random peoples reactions at the scene of accident. Something worth giving a though how to react if anyone encounters something like that on the road.

That's a pretty brutal clip. Am I right in thinking that you shouldn't interfere with someone if they've been injured? At best cover them with something to keep them warm.

What are you supposed to do? How should those people have acted- did they do what they should have? Could they have done more?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

That's a pretty brutal clip. Am I right in thinking that you shouldn't interfere with someone if they've been injured? At best cover them with something to keep them warm.

What are you supposed to do? How should those people have acted- did they do what they should have? Could they have done more?

I was going to ask exactly the same question !! The driver and all the other people around seemed to have no consideration for the guy who was hit !! No one tried to cover him and keep him warm, a necessity to help when someone is in shock and to prevent hypothermia - this guy was in shock right ?

The even walked away and left him alone while they caught their bus !! Shocking behaviour !

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm wondering if he was dead - surely if he was alive someone would kneel/sit beside him to keep an eye on him.

Best practise would be to leave them as they are and cover them up to keep them warm. If you can get something between them and the ground without moving them, that would be great, but unlikely unless you're a magician. The only reasons to move him would be if he started vomiting while lying face up (try keep the head aligned with the spine and rotate him so he doesn't choke on the vomit - impossible for one person, ideally takes a few people who know what they're doing), or if he stopped breathing/had no pulse (at which point you'd need to move him if you know CPR).

Not a dashcam, but a useful video nonetheless:

Edit: Looking at the video again in full screen, hopefully he wasn't dead. From the speed at which they suddenly start to move him, I wonder if he did start puking - they appear to be putting him into something approximating the recovery position.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Human body, Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation on those two is a bad thing, if their airway is blocked by vomit or blood that needs to be cleared otherwise they will suffocate to death. If there is pulsing bleeding then an artery has been cut and that needs to be stemmed. All other injuries are insignificant if one of the above have happened.
    If you are going to help an injured person on the road, be wary of your own safety, it doesn't help the paramedics if they find that two people have been runover when they were origianlly called out for just 1.

My worry is, theory is all good and fine and sitting at my computer keyboard it is easy to talk about CPR and first aid, but if I ever cam across some poor, mangled person, covered in blood and whatnot, I honestly don't know how I would handle it. I might possibly get sick, soil myself and faint, then paramedics would have to see who needs help more urgently, him/her or me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

My worry is, theory is all good and fine and sitting at my computer keyboard it is easy to talk about CPR and first aid, but if I ever cam across some poor, mangled person, covered in blood and whatnot, I honestly don't know how I would handle it. I might possibly get sick, soil myself and faint, then paramedics would have to see who needs help more urgently, him/her or me. :o

At least we dont live in the good old US of A .

I remember a story where a good Samaritan revived somebody using CPR and the person sued them for breaking a rib I think in the process.

Will try find link.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tzardine wrote: »

I remember a story where a good Samaritan revived somebody using CPR and the person sued them for breaking a rib I think in the process.

Will try find link.

First rule of first aid, never give your surname or phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

With major trauma incidents that involve a high probability of spine or internal damage, be very careful what you do and how you proceed. If you are unsure, don't do anything. You can do more harm than good. The only reason you should ever move someone is if there is a threat to their life beyond their injuries i.e. Fire from Fuel spill or they have stopped breathing and / or have severe bleeding. In addition, don't declare yourself beyond your abilities i.e. saying 'I'm an EMT' when in fact you have a 1 day first aid course. You can be judged and prosecuted for acting beyond your abilities.

I suggest any road user to have a basic first aid course (Even a few mins on YouTube) and to read the Good Samaritan Laws for Ireland:

http://www.irishdefib.ie/good-samaritans#sthash.QjA72IfU.dpbs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I, unfortunately, know how I react. I go into super-efficient mode and start barking orders at bystanders, which are oddly obeyed. I continue managing everything until the professionals arrive, at which point I go sit in a corner and start crying, and then I cry some more, and then I continue crying, then I cry a little more while assuring people that there's nothing wrong with me, because now they're wondering who the soggy person in the corner is. I assume it's some kind of adrenaline crash.

I've recommended the book "The Unthinkable" before - in a nutshell, drills are what will help you perform in an emergency.

Anyway. Have a video:

CramCycle wrote: »
    First rule of first aid, never give your surname or phone number.

Specially if you're this guy:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

ZENER wrote: »
    The driver and all the other people around seemed to have no consideration for the guy who was hit !! No one tried to cover him and keep him warm, a necessity to help when someone is in shock and to prevent hypothermia - this guy was in shock right ?

The even walked away and left him alone while they caught their bus !! Shocking behaviour !
    I assumed from the video that the guy died pretty quickly - he stopped moving soon after being hit and the body language of the bystanders seems to be "there's nothing that can be done here", otherwise the other people would surely have hung around a bit longer and covered him with a coat or something to try to keep him warm. The video itself is shocking - just shows what a moment of casual inattentiveness can cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Will try find link.

You can sue anyone for anything. Doesn't mean it would be successful. I would think that's a myth really.

tin79 wrote: »
    You can sue anyone for anything. Doesn't mean it would be successful. I would think that's a myth really.

Possible so, but you just never know in America. Look at the case a while back when Stella Liebeck who was 79 spilled hot coffee on herself in Mc Donalds. She sued them and was awarded $2.9 Million

There are loads of cases like this each year in the US. They were giving awards for the most stupid. They named them the "Stellas" :pac:

http://www.stellaawards.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Possible so, but you just never know in America. Look at the case a while back when Stella Liebeck who was 79 spilled hot coffee on herself in Mc Donalds. She sued them and was awarded $2.9 Million

There are loads of cases like this each year in the US. They were giving awards for the most stupid. They named them the "Stellas" :pac:

http://www.stellaawards.com/

Thread is going off topic again. But I'll just add that I've always thought it very unfair that this woman is held up as the face of frivolous lawsuits. The coffee gave her third degree burns, requiring skin grafts. She never argued that it was McDonald's fault that she spilled the coffee on herself. She agreed that was her fault but I don;t think anyone expects to get 3rd degree burns and skin grafts because you spill a cup of coffee on yourself. McDonald's served their coffee at an extremely hot temperature in anticipation of commuters drinking it while driving over a long time.

Also, she only requested that McDonalds pay her medical bills which were about 20k. They refused so she sued. They continued to refuse settlements and when it came to court the jury awarded the 2.9m figure but she never got that. McDonalds appealed and they eventually settled for an undisclosed figure thought to be less than 600k.

People still mightn't like it but there's a lot of relevant context that is usually absent. Personally I'm more on her side than McDonalds. I think it's unreasonable to be served a cup of molten lava that will strip the skin from you if you spill it by accident.

Mousewar wrote: »
    Thread is going off topic again. But I'll just add that I've always thought it very unfair that this woman is held up as the face of frivolous lawsuits. The coffee gave her third degree burns, requiring skin grafts. She never argued that it was McDonald's fault that she spilled the coffee on herself. She agreed that was her fault but I don;t think anyone expects to get 3rd degree burns and skin grafts because you spill a cup of coffee on yourself. McDonald's served their coffee at an extremely hot temperature in anticipation of commuters drinking it while driving over a long time.

Also, she only requested that McDonalds pay her medical bills which were about 20k. They refused so she sued. They continued to refuse settlements and when it came to court the jury awarded the 2.9m figure but she never got that. McDonalds appealed and they eventually settled for an undisclosed figure thought to be less than 600k.

People still mightn't like it but there's a lot of relevant context that is usually absent. Personally I'm more on her side than McDonalds. I think it's unreasonable to be served a cup of molten lava that will strip the skin from you if you spill it by accident.

You are right about a lot. Especially that she only wanted €20,000 initially.

But the coffee was served no hotter than any other place, and no hotter than it still is today. The difference is that now they say on the cup "Contents are extremely hot" to cover their ass.

Anyway I will go back on topic now :)

I love these insurance scam fail videos

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

But the coffee was served no hotter than any other place, and no hotter than it still is today. The difference is that now they say on the cup "Contents are extremely hot" to cover their ass.

If I remember correctly, they did serve it hotter then everywhere else. That particular location was around 10 degrees hotter and had multiple complaints about serious burns from split coffey. Which they had chosen to ignore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If I remember correctly, they did serve it hotter then everywhere else. That particular location was around 10 degrees hotter and had multiple complaints about serious burns from split coffey. Which they had chosen to ignore.
    Not sure if it is true or not but Bobby Kerr (from Insomnia) claims this is the reason that take away coffees from big chains all have the "Caution: Hot liquid inside" warnings on them. Although he also clarified the story as above in that she did not win as much as people claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The guy at about 6 minutes. You don't bring a stick to a gun fight son.
    The guy at 8 minutes. That was some boot in the face. We could do with back up for Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

ken wrote: »
    The guy at 8 minutes. That was some boot in the face. We could do with back up for Sexton.

Thanks, I missed that first look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

What is it with the M50(S) N4 exit? I see more bad driving there than the rest of the M50 put together.
    The driver in front had taken up residency in the outer lane, then braked from about 105 down to 80 very close to the exit. I just got out of the way quick. I looked in the rear view mirrors, cars scattering everywhere but no collisions.
    The guy should've been in the correct lane much earlier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement