Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Hi lads my lumia is having some trouble again :( Left it beside the bed overnight and today it shows no signs of life. I had it plugged in charging for the last few hours and nothing is happening, the screen is still blank. Plugged it into the computer and some drivers installed. But still nothing on the screen.

Any ideas

the fact that it installs drivers when plugged in to your pc is a good sign, have you tried a simple soft reset? Press and hold the power and volume down keys for about 10 seconds. Failing that, try charging for about half an hour and then trying the soft reset again, I had to do this once on my 920. You could also try the soft reset whilst its plugged into the laptop doing the driver install thing. As a last resort, try doing a hard reset as per this page: http://project-dna.org/how-to-hard-reset-the-nokia-lumia-620-920-and-820/ beat of luck bud!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

The interface of my Facebook app (Facebook pro) has gone weird lately. The upper part of the page has become misaligned, making some buttons difficult to access. Anyone else get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The interface of my Facebook app (Facebook pro) has gone weird lately. The upper part of the page has become misaligned, making some buttons difficult to access. Anyone else get this?

It sounds like your facebook app is basically a html wrapper. ie its a touch-friendly version of the facebook website inside a browser control. This means that whenever facebook updates their website, it can mess up or break the app.

The only "legit" non-html facebook app is the official MS one everyone usually installs, although the new "facebook jdb" app seems to be a similar effort.

TLDR: just use touch.facebook.com in Internet Explorer and pin it to start!

Same bloody thing witht hat. Thanks anyhow. Anyone have experience seeing this sort of thing get fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Whatever way, I had a couple of people that came in with Lumia's and surprisingly I took the screen protector and it started working properly. Not entirely sure why does it affect the proximity sensor after a certain time.

Now in a couple of cases there were issues where the actual sensor itself was faulty, but the majority of them were screen protectors.

Ever wonder why some screen protectors come with cut outs where the sensors are instead of just letting them cover it? Exactly that reason.

Give it a try anyway. Nothing to lose but a 3 euro screen protector.

It's improved by taking off the screen protector off the proximity sensor.

It's not perfect but it is way better.

Thanks.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭vectra

No internet access once i am outside wifi in my home with the past week or so.. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 ConnorHunter

Nokia Lumia 800 is top-rated smartphone nowadays, but not the best, because It doesn't support Adobe Flash Player, doesn't have microSD card slot, battery can be remove (It is fixed), Audio and video quality is a bit fuzzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Nokia Lumia 800 is top-rated smartphone nowadays, but not the best, because It doesn't support Adobe Flash Player, doesn't have microSD card slot, battery can be remove (It is fixed), Audio and video quality is a bit fuzzy.

Can't make out if this is a complaint from an owner or a troll post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Can't make out if this is a complaint from an owner or a troll post.

I think he's just weighing up the pros and cons. By listing all the cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm wondering is it worth upgrading from the HTC titan to this phone? My phone is getting a bit battered but it's still functional, or would it be worth waiting for vodafone to get in the 920? If they do get that phone in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Vodafone have the 920 in stock

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm wondering is it worth upgrading from the HTC titan to this phone? My phone is getting a bit battered but it's still functional, or would it be worth waiting for vodafone to get in the 920? If they do get that phone in.

The 920 is a far better phone but is an awful lot more expensive. For around the same price as the 800 you'd probably be better going for the 520 or 620. The 720 and the 820 are other options - but the 620 is pretty close to the 800.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Vodafone have the 920 in stock
    Found it after a search, it doesn't show up under the main windows phone page.
    The 920 is a far better phone but is an awful lot more expensive.
    I won't be paying it's a business phone.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Found it after a search, it doesn't show up under the main windows phone page.

I won't be paying it's a business phone.

Well in that case go for the 920 - far superior to the 800 or any other Nokia phone.

Well in that case go for the 920 - far superior to the 800 or any other Nokia phone.

definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

I have to disagree. I would got for the 820 over the 920, reasoning:

Common to both
    Same processor and memory
    Wireless charging
    NFC
    Front and rear cameras

920 Pros
    The 920 has a bigger screen, brilliant camera.

920 Cons
    Screen too big, admittedly down to personal choice
    No SD slot
    No removable battery
    Back cover not changable

820 Pros

Removable battery, cover
    SD slot allowing you to easily and cheaply add 64GB storage

820 Cons
    Back cover tricky to remove
    Camera not as good as 920 however is as good as the iphone / S3 one

My wife has the 820 since christmas and loves it in particular the Windows 8 fluid very stable OS. Its also brilliant web browsing, facebook and office doc phone.

Either choice is excellent I just do not see the 920 as the clear winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

One correction. The back cover is nearly impossible to remove.

Any time I had to do it is a pain in the arse. Then again you don't need to remove it that often

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Dub XV wrote: »
    My 800 did it before the update and still does it after. I just lock and unlock and it lights up again.

Ok so my issue got worse. I dropped the phone and must have damaged/dislodged the proximity sensor.

I've searched around and found a simple remedy.

Just rub the glass @ the proximty sensor area with your thumb during/after a call and hey-ho it will light up the screen.

Anyone having the same problems should try it. Works for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've had this phone for a while and love it.

One issue I have is with Viber. The Viber Messenger app works fine for messaging.

If I install the Nokia Viber app (which supports voice calls), messages work a bit oddly. If I send a message to contact John Doe (0871234567), I will get a reply in a separate thread from +353871234567. I can't reply to him in this thread though, I have to go back to the original thread and send it that way. This gets a bit irritating as send and received messages are in two separate threads.

Does anyone else get this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

One issue I have is with Viber. The Viber Messenger app works fine for messaging.

If I install the Nokia Viber app (which supports voice calls), messages work a bit oddly. If I send a message to contact John Doe (0871234567), I will get a reply in a separate thread from +353871234567. I can't reply to him in this thread though, I have to go back to the original thread and send it that way. This gets a bit irritating as send and received messages are in two separate threads.

You should forward the info to the viber support team.

Tbh either way, Viber on Windows Phone 7 is dodgy. It only works when it wants to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭FGR

I get this problem as well. The only way around it is to convince other Viber users to register their number as 87xxxxxxx as opposed to 087xxxxxxx. It's annoying as most people don't even think of codes, nor should they really; and because of that I have to put up with it while they get normal messages from me.

Viber really need to fix it but I reckon it's the last we'll see of support for WP7.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The main viber app supports voice calling now, you don't need the nokia one any more. The main one seem a little more reliable and faster to open too, although the incoming call support is just as crappy.

I haven't had that number issue with either version though so can't comment on that.

I have to disagree. I would got for the 820 over the 920, reasoning:

Common to both
    Same processor and memory
    Wireless charging
    NFC
    Front and rear cameras

920 Pros
    The 920 has a bigger screen, brilliant camera.

920 Cons
    Screen too big, admittedly down to personal choice
    No SD slot
    No removable battery
    Back cover not changable

820 Pros

Removable battery, cover
    SD slot allowing you to easily and cheaply add 64GB storage

820 Cons
    Back cover tricky to remove
    Camera not as good as 920 however is as good as the iphone / S3 one

My wife has the 820 since christmas and loves it in particular the Windows 8 fluid very stable OS. Its also brilliant web browsing, facebook and office doc phone.

Either choice is excellent I just do not see the 920 as the clear winner.

But the comparison was for the 800 and the 920 not the 820 - I just mentioned that phone as another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Is there any way to personalise the ringtone on this yet? Sick of the nokia tune

Dunny wrote: »
    Is there any way to personalise the ringtone on this yet? Sick of the nokia tune

Tons of ways. There are numerous free apps like free ringtones (download any free ringtone app and set any song as your ringtone) and the Nokia ringtone maker or make your own through Zune or iTunes (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/how-to/wp7/start/create-ringtones). This has been available for the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

If you set the genre of something in iTunes as ringtone you can use that.

And the third time the sensor is gone on my lumia 800! I really do like this phone but it's beginning to bother me that I can't have it functioning normally for more than two/three months at a time.

I noticed that the freepost service doesn't exist on the Nokia Support website anymore. Is it completely gone?

Edit: Nevermind! Found the link on the Lumia 800 page as opposed to their generic support page.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Does City Lens use the proximity sensor? The compass is not calibrating when I open it up, dispite doing the figure of 8 thing.

Filled out the form and banged the phone in the post - hopefully Nokia will be willing to repair my phone (or replace! :D) for a third time. I'm worried though that they might just chuck it back at me and say they reckon it's been dropped (though it hasn't!). I haven't had a problem with anything on this phone just that bloody proximity sensor. I wonder does it just come loose over time ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

FGR wrote: »
    Filled out the form and banged the phone in the post - hopefully Nokia will be willing to repair my phone (or replace! :D) for a third time. I'm worried though that they might just chuck it back at me and say they reckon it's been dropped (though it hasn't!). I haven't had a problem with anything on this phone just that bloody proximity sensor. I wonder does it just come loose over time ?

I got one for the OH at Christmas Its had the same issue 3 times in the last 8 weeks she's still under warranty though ,each time it was sent off component replaced and within 2 weeks black screens unable to dial numbers or top up credit

Advertisement