Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mobile users are more tolerant.

• 14-11-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

http://www.fiberevolution.com/
    Benoit Felten picks up on Akamai stats showing Mobile users are more tolerant to video start-up and re-buffer delays on their connections. They'd want to be.
    We study the impact of video stream quality on viewer behavior in a scientific data-driven manner by using extensive traces from Akamai’s streaming network that include 23 million views from 6.7 million unique viewers. We show that viewers start to abandon a video if it takes more than 2 seconds to start up, with each incremental delay of 1 second resulting in a 5.8% increase in the abandonment rate. Further, we show that a moderate amount of interruptions can decrease the average play time of a viewer by a significant amount. A viewer who experiences a rebuffer delay equal to 1% of the video duration plays 5% less of the video in comparison to a similar viewer who experienced no rebuffering. Finally, we show that a viewer who experienced failure is 2.32% less likely to revisit the same site within a week than a similar viewer who did not experience a failure.

There's also a bit on the battle between 'Free' (France) and the content providers about who should pay for bandwidth.
    secondly, as highlighted in Numerama yesterday (quoting the same study, in French), service providers who deliberately throttle video and/or specific video content providers, like Free currently does in France with Youtube are damaging the business of these content players, but also irritating customers. There’s only two ways this can go: either customers don’t care enough to churn and ultimately the Youtubes of this world will have to cave in and fork out to get quality delivery, or the customers care enough and leave visibly enough to force the service provider to actually provision the service properly. I know I’m one of the latter, and the first service provider who will provide me with a good offer from now on I’ll switch to. I’m a heavy Youtube user, and getting decent service on that matters more to me than a reputedly lame blueray player I’ve never used in my set-top box,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Probably because they encounter it more often so consider it the norm.

Not because they don't long for something better :)

Advertisement