Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Considering a return.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Vicxas wrote: »
    Im the polar opposite, I love the leveling experience for the most part (A few zones excluded) because I cant commit to the end game anymore.

But the problem is theres no community in WoW anymore, everyone is blasting through with their Heirlooms trying to get to 90, getting bored and starting again.

I have a free character boost to 90 and for the life of me i've no drive to use it it as once you hit 90 its Raid or do dailies. And dailies bore the life out of me.

When you were playing WoW and loving it, what exactly where you doing?

Obviously there is a ton of ways to play the game and get enjoyment, for times I didnt even play, just made gold and loved it.

For me my main enjoyment and purpose is get to max level, gear a character, then begin through raiding progression. When thats done I get an alt, and do the same with that, while raiding the main to pickup the BIS gear

Obviously in recent weeks all my mates have left the game to do other things before WOD, so obviously my enjoyment has dropped dramatically. I've cancelled my sub awaiting maybe a motnh before WOD, and have two months left on my sub.

A friend was onto me this morning that his 10man guild are getting back together, so I'm going to level fresh with him and gear up for raiding. That will be probably character 20+, and it will be a mill to get to 90.

Obviously the community aspect has disintegrated, but I don't think its purposefully because of Blizzard, but insinstead people looking inward to their guild, or own communities.

I stopped heroic raiding in WOTLK really, and have been going a bit through the motions through Cataclysm and MOP. A big problem has been essentially being alone, not able to raid.

Trying to get into a new guild was tough, your joining established communities where its a chore to get accepted. I joined a guild in Cataclysm and was on trial for AGES. Best performing Warlock, yet couldn't get gear or any rewards because I was on trial, in the end just had to leave, it was pointless.

I'll have to have a think about what I want to do with WOD. While I love playing with my mates, the inevitable direction is that our raiding revolves around 2-3 core people, and while they get little buzzes, they inevitably leave the game and our raids in chaos.

For the first time since WOTLK I'll probably need to make a conscious decision and go elsewhere to integrate into a new community.

The point being, none of this was blizzard fault or their problem. While I consider LFR to be one of the worst features ever created after instanced PVP, Flex was a brilliant addition, and allows me to raid when it suits me. And I've been able to go into normal runs and heroic runs to do some bosses because of that stepping stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

TheDoc wrote: »
    You didn't say it directly, but you did say Wildstar ****s all over WoW. I was going with the general phrase that gets thrown around frequently when a new MMO arrives :)

Because it does >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Sinsiter, be reasonable. Wildstar is new and fresh. WoW is almost 10 years old and at the end of an expansion. The only thing Wildstar has done that WoW hasn't is the telegraph combat system. It's not a WoW killer, nothing is. WoW will end when Blizzard unveil their next big MMO, and until then, it'll just plod along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I am being perfectly reasonable. I am saying that Wildstar is NOT a WoW killer - Blizzard will do that all by themselves. The OP has asked if he should return and I offered my opinion giving him an alternative solution which would ensure he wouldn't be too far behind the curve.

Further to that point I gave my opinion on the matter that what I want from MMO is far more appealing in Wildstar than it is WoW.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So in short for DCULLY,

Come back to WoW, it's pretty excellent if youve been out for a while. The Flex mechanic and cross raid functionality now means you can pretty much easily raid flex and normal difficulties at a time that suits you.

The advent of openraid websites and ingame addons means you can nearly find a raid on demand, or sign up in advance for one that suits you.

Heroic content will still need a guild obviously, but there is plenty to get your teeth stuck into as you wait for the new expansion if you havn't been doing current content. What they have dond with Flex and cross-raid mechanics, is essentially what they should have done rather then implement LFR.

You can raid at a decent level, at a time that suits you and your schedule, while being somewhat challenging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I am being perfectly reasonable. I am saying that Wildstar is NOT a WoW killer - Blizzard will do that all by themselves. The OP has asked if he should return and I offered my opinion giving him an alternative solution which would ensure he wouldn't be too far behind the curve.

Further to that point I gave my opinion on the matter that what I want from MMO is far more appealing in Wildstar than it is WoW.

Thanks.

Thats fine but coming into the WoW forum and making a statement in the way you made it you can understand the response you got.

My opinion is that wildstar is by no means a wow killer, it does allot of what wow does in a polished way. Finally a developer understands that to compete with the market leader you need to release a game based on WoW 2014 not WoW 2005.

However the market and wow in itself is dynamically changing and while some aspects of game play wildstar has done before wow (player housing), wow will be bringing in stat adaptive gear which changes depending on spec. For those of us who dont have the time to farm 2 sets of gear this is a good thing.

Where wildstar currently lacks behind wow is in the lore and backstory, it has much more to do in that area but i mean cmon it was never going to be a contender in that space. It also lacks in terms of unique char creation, class/race variance and the telegraph combat system in my mind.

When compared to wow you have a 6 classes compared to 11, admitedly each class is a hybrid but wow has many of those. The character creator even though it has unqiue attributes feels like its missing something because of the shared human race and a total of 7 races in total. The telegraph feels like it suits melee much more than it does ranged and it seems to have set a limited range on what you can do.

Don't get me wrong wildstar is a good game but WoW is still being maintained fairly well and still number one for good reason.

Advertisement