Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Looks good for WRC in my view

He didn't sound very positive - he said something along the lines that it wasn't opened because of the economic crisis and that this money (for a report?) Would keep it from being forgotten and slipping off the agenda.

He was setting the bar very low and seemed happy to be able to show that he had gotten something to make it seem like progress was being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Bray Head wrote: »
    The leaked programme for government suggests that an independent cost-benefit analysis will be undertaken on the issue of whether it should be extended beyond Athenry.

Interestingly enough for any potential greenway, there is a reference made to nothing being done with the aligment that would preclude potential return to railway use.

A fully independent CBA will bury the line once and for all. I wonder does Sean Canney realise that he may well have killed off the WRC finally, or does he care once he's milked it to get himself a bit of a profile?

Bray Head wrote: »
    The leaked programme for government suggests that an independent cost-benefit analysis will be undertaken on the issue of whether it should be extended beyond Athenry.

Interestingly enough for any potential greenway, there is a reference made to nothing being done with the aligment that would preclude potential return to railway use.
    As I understand it, Irish rail has already confirmed that a greenway is their preferred way of keeping the route in public ownership for future rail use. Id say the greenway groups all along the line should be happy enough that this is the end of the anti-greenway argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

BoatMad wrote: »

What, few nice days will dry the line out connecting it to Limerick?

• Advertisement

No feasibility study, particularly if it's independent, can show a business case for the WRC. However I'd wager that Canney knows that, and it doesn't matter. All he has to do is delay the greenway project (and ideally the findings of the study) for the life of this government. That will allow him to go back to the Wot cohort and tell them that he almost got them their train, and he just needs another term to fully deliver it.
    That nonsense works, too; it's a lot of what's wrong with Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The existing Limerick to Galway train route does not have sufficient passenger numbers.

Multiple buses companies and an imminent M18 motorway have made it a White Elephant. Irish Rail didn't even see the merits of it.

Extending the Western Rail Corridor would be an abuse of the public purse. Even a user friendly timetable won't justify the cost.

I've seen trains from Limerick to Ballybrophy and Limerick Junction to Waterford with no passengers.

Some ideas should be cut down straight away without vested interests becoming involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

eastwest wrote: »
    No feasibility study, particularly if it's independent, can show a business case for the WRC. However I'd wager that Canney knows that, and it doesn't matter. All he has to do is delay the greenway project (and ideally the findings of the study) for the life of this government. That will allow him to go back to the Wot cohort and tell them that he almost got them their train, and he just needs another term to fully deliver it.
    That nonsense works, too; it's a lot of what's wrong with Irish politics.

Dear Shane Ross- Minister for Transport (and impending industrial actions). Angel of Anti-cronyism and Lord of Good Corporate Governance - gonna splash out €300 million of tax payers money on a white elephant for your buddy and his associates ?

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Dear Shane Ross- Minister for Transport (and impending industrial actions). Angel of Anti-cronyism and Lord of Good Corporate Governance - gonna splash out €300 million of tax payers money on a white elephant for your buddy and his associates ?
    He won't, but he'll throw a few hundred grand at a survey that has only one aim -- to delay the building of a greenway until the government falls in a year or two.
    Canney isn't expecting a positive affirmation of the railway argument, but he needs to be able to go back to voters in a year or so and say 'I nearly got you a railway, just give me one more go at it.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Muckyboots wrote: »

WRC reached no 7 in the TOP 10 White Elephants, not bad!

Top%2010%20white%20elephants_zpstbddavfj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The existing Limerick to Galway train route does not have sufficient passenger numbers.

using it, certainly not. a catchment if it had been simply reopened without the new stations, yes absolutely. a service running limerick ennis athenry galway could potentially have got a lot better numbers. but we will never know, we are where we are and we are stuck with it. lines with more passengers will probably go before it.
    Multiple buses companies and an imminent M18 motorway have made it a White Elephant.

busses and motor ways aren't an argument against it in fairness. the arguments against it being extended, and for ennis athenry not to have reopened really are.
    1. the current alinement of ennis athenry.
    2. the fact other lines will shut if it is extended as predicted.
    3. the fact 1 line shut to allow ennis athenry to open as predicted.

i would go as far as to say that if we were serious about public transport, multiple bus operators operating on a route would be an argument for investing in the network so that there can be competition between 2 methods. it doesn't mean reopening every single little branch line that closed, but it does mean investing in what we have and potentially trying to grow the cities and open more lines around the most populated parts. the country and the cities have a lot going for them but we are in my view stifeling them by not implementing an alternative to road transport.
    Irish Rail didn't even see the merits of it.

while true, considering their treatment of a number of lines in the country, what irish rail sees the merits in wouldn't even make the list of things to consider when making the decisian on opening/reopening a railway line if i was making the decisian.
    I've seen trains from Limerick to Ballybrophy and Limerick Junction to Waterford with no passengers.

both have been ran down deliberately in fairness. evidence = 40 years or more of leaving them to rot.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Why do don't trains on lesser used lines like the WRC and the limerick-ballybrophy line use a request stop like in the uk system instead of stopping at every station even if nobody gets on or off.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Why do don't trains on lesser used lines like the WRC and the limerick-ballybrophy line use a request stop like in the uk system instead of stopping at every station even if nobody gets on or off.
    Does "the passenger" at the station press a button to set a signal to red to stop the train or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Does "the passenger" at the station press a button to set a signal to red to stop the train or something?

No the train slows down to a pace where it can stop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

a service running limerick ennis athenry galway could potentially have got a lot better numbers. but we will never know, we are where we are and we are stuck with it. lines with more passengers will probably go before it.

We know there's zero passengers if it rains, because the line floods and closes.

no, uk trains mostly still have a second person on board. one informs the gard should they need to get off at a request stop. if one needs to get on the train, they flag the train down once they see it. the train would be traveling at the normal station approach speed regardless so it would be traveling slow enough to stop. of course here in ireland it would be more difficult as we have a majority driver only railway

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

no, uk trains mostly still have a second person on board. one informs the gard should they need to get off at a request stop. if one needs to get on the train, they flag the train down once they see it. the train would be traveling at the normal station approach speed regardless so it would be traveling slow enough to stop. of course here in ireland it would be more difficult as we have a majority driver only railway

Deutsche Bahn have in a few places trains where you just press a button to tell them you're getting off.
    No different than a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Deutsche Bahn have in a few places trains where you just press a button to tell them you're getting off.
    No different than a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

random_guy wrote: »
    No different than a bus.

The trains would be travelling so slow on the north section of the WRC you could just leave the doors open and people could jump on and off, cowboy style, with a minor skip and a few quick steps, at the dozens on the minor and major road crossing, back gardens, cattle crossings and disappearing embankments.

A lot of speculation about request stops etc as though the Canney Deal was going to result in a railway!
    I don't think anyone in Dáil Éireann, including Canney, believes that; that's not what this is about. It's about getting Sean Canney re-elected when this government runs its course.

• Advertisement

Multiple buses companies and an imminent M18 motorway have made it a White Elephant. Irish Rail didn't even see the merits of it.

Extending the Western Rail Corridor would be an abuse of the public purse. Even a user friendly timetable won't justify the cost.

Some ideas should be cut down straight away without vested interests becoming involved

There are about 100,000 passengers using the wrc

As for Waterford to LJ, if you run just two trains a day at bizzare times , that used to be a function of the rosslare boat times ( and the train doesn't even run there any more ) provide no sunday service ( so weekend passengers can't return ) , charge a fare multiples of the wrc fare , then FUNNY that , you get no passengers

Irish rail always ensure they generate a lemon line to keep up their sleeves in case the overall financial case of the railways goes into the toilet

They then offer up that closure as if it " solves" everything , after Waterford to LJ is gone , the next one is ballybrophy, or Wexford to rosslare port ( which is a joke with the stop being 500 metres away from the port ) ,
    After that , speculation is to remove all services from Waterford

The problem in Ireland isn't railways , it's Frank's and Irish rail that's the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

There are about 100,000 passengers using the wrc

Is that a catchment area of 100,000 or 100,000 passengers per annum?

Per annum would be only 300 passengers a day

A lot of speculation about request stops etc as though the Canney Deal was going to result in a railway!

actually the request stop question was a general question. the poster was simply wondering could such a request stop system be implemented on lower used lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Any sign of it being reopened?

I am asking about the Limerick - Athenry section of course and asking in the all disused sections thread because this section is also disused at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Sunday Independent 06/09/2014
    Chances of the Sligo to Galway rail service re-opening remain slim in light of a report which shows passenger numbers falling on another part of the Western Rail Corridor. Indeed, the Galway to Limerick line which opened in 2010 could see a reduction in its services.

Documents seen by the Sunday Independent show senior officials in Transport Minister Paschal Donohoe's department admit that passenger numbers on the €110m Western Rail Corridor from Galway to Limerick, have been "disappointing to date".

The corridor is one of a number of rural railway lines that could face a cut in services. Nationally, passenger numbers have fallen by a fifth, from 45.5 million in 2007 to 36.7 million in 2013,

Over the same period, the level of state subsidy has dropped by over a third, from €203m to €127m. Irish Rail has accumulated losses since 2008 of €147m.

An in-depth review of services across the rail network is under way, which could result in some lines being closed or see service levels reduced.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/sligogalway-rail-hopes-remain-slim-30554478.html

Top%2010%20white%20elephants_zpstbddavfj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Is that a catchment area of 100,000 or 100,000 passengers per annum?

Per annum would be only 300 passengers a day

that's about the strength of it...300 per day without looking it up...3 or 4 bus loads.

that's about the strength of it...300 per day without looking it up...3 or 4 bus loads.

Evidence shows that where offered and convienent, people prefer trains

Evidence shows that where offered and convienent, people prefer trains

I'd prefer a limo.

I'd prefer a limo.

Luxury helicopter myself but....

Let me preface my comment , when presented with a choice of bus or train....,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I'd prefer a limo.

so would I if someone else was paying.....same goes for WRC Train perhaps

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement