Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How would i know English import.

Options
  • 12-09-2014 12:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10

Hi all,
    How would i know if its an english inport, besides online database (cartell) etc.
    Car in question is a toyota avensis 2009/01 version.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

It will be in miles instead of what we have kilometres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

the speedo will have miles and kms. unlike here kms only

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Also Irish spec Avensis models will be badged Terra, Aura, Strata and Luna. UK spec Avensis will be badged T2, T3, TR, T4, T Spirit, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 tree stump

Thats a really simple thing to look for. Kmph Vs Kmph/Mph, very handy.

I dont think id be happy buying an english import, would a cartell check tell you the history of an english car, EG; crash/repair/write off..etc

Carzone/cars of ireland are full of them from what i can see.

cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Enter the reg into carcheck.ie and it will tell you straight away if it's an import.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

tree stump wrote: »
    Thats a really simple thing to look for. Kmph Vs Kmph/Mph, very handy.

I dont think id be happy buying an english import, would a cartell check tell you the history of an english car, EG; crash/repair/write off..etc

Carzone/cars of ireland are full of them from what i can see.

cheers lads

UK cars have higher spec and are usually in better condition than the equivalent Irish model. The history check services can do a UK history check too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Chimaera wrote: »
    UK cars have higher spec and are usually in better condition than the equivalent Irish model.

Not exactly scientific...and not necessarily true either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

porsche959 wrote: »
    Not exactly scientific...and not necessarily true either.

Better condition is mostly true, more complete service histories certainly true. Spec is hit and miss, some marques are actually worse, but far more likely to find a car with options than here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

1 Careful Lady Owner

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Better condition is mostly true, more complete service histories certainly true. Spec is hit and miss, some marques are actually worse, but far more likely to find a car with options than here.

The paintwork is often in better condition on UK cars but the underside of Irish cars is usually in better shape due to less salt being used on our roads. This is especially evident after 4-5 years. Cars from the north of the UK usually fair the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

True, the further back you go in years you really need to watch for rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

One advantage of buying a UK car is that there is more information available about the car's history than you will find about an Irish equivalent car. For instance a documented service history is still a novelty to the majority of Irish car owners. But like anything if you are looking at the cheapest examples then no matter where they come from originally they probably have a colourful or mysterious past and are cheap for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

There is nothing wrong with buying a UK vehicle as long as you use the same precautions you would with any other large purchase. As someone who works withing the motor trade what you should be getting are.

Verifiable service history, call the garage that did a servicing in the UK and cross check, There would usually be a good folder of receipts

Ask to see the copy of the V5 (UK logbook) bear in mind once reg'd in Ireland Owners start @ 0, All cars should be advertised including uk owners.

Warranty... You should be getting a 1yr warranty, I wouldn't see anything less being acceptable, Most will try 3/6 months in my mind it not enough.

Other than there is nothing special to watch out for on a UK car over an Irish car

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

There is nothing wrong with buying a UK vehicle as long as you use the same precautions you would with any other large purchase. As someone who works withing the motor trade what you should be getting are.

Verifiable service history, call the garage that did a servicing in the UK and cross check, There would usually be a good folder of receipts

Ask to see the copy of the V5 (UK logbook) bear in mind once reg'd in Ireland Owners start @ 0, All cars should be advertised including uk owners.

Warranty... You should be getting a 1yr warranty, I wouldn't see anything less being acceptable, Most will try 3/6 months in my mind it not enough.

Other than there is nothing special to watch out for on a UK car over an Irish car
    Maybe nothing special but I'd still be taking a good look at the underbody before buying and making sure that I'm not buying a rust bucket. No amount of paperwork will save a car from the tin worm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Irish cars have specs called "luna", "AUra" and Terra

UK cars with T2, T3 etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Maybe nothing special but I'd still be taking a good look at the underbody before buying and making sure that I'm not buying a rust bucket. No amount of paperwork will save a car from the tin worm.

I have probably sold a couple of hundred 270 series avensis at this stage, both UK & Irish and have yet to come across any chassis/body rust rot or whatever else you want to call it on a single one.

You may be more likely to find seized calipers from excess salt useage, but thats the height of it. Realistically if its an issue it should have already been sorted by the selling dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Apart from the Miles Vs Km's and the cartel/motorcheck methods. I'f it has genuine service history, it will have UK garage stamps/addresses in the service book. If it has a service book.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

UK reg etched on each window is also a tell.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

The Irish reg plate on it should also be a giveaway e.g.

Dublin - 09 D 120000 & upwards
    Galway - 09 G 16000 & upwards
    Kilkenny - 09 G 8000 & upwards

What county's reg is on it, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Badges can be changed, as can speedo's etc.

Just check the log book, section B is the first date of registration, section I is the first date of registration in Ireland, if it's an import, these dates will be significantly different, probably out by a few years.

Section J.4 may have a different number, the UK number it had on importation, but in my experience this isn't always filled in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement