Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT: Import now, or wait until Jan 15

Options
  • 08-09-2014 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at b bringing in a Audi A6 2013 2.0 TDI sline from the UK . Currently the vrt is at €7400. If I was to wait and import it in January 15. Would I see much drop in the vrt tax?
    Basically would it be worth waiting..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

1jcdub wrote: »
    I'm looking at b bringing in a Audi A6 2013 2.0 TDI sline from the UK . Currently the vrt is at €7400. If I was to wait and import it in January 15. Would I see much drop in the vrt tax?
    Basically would it be worth waiting..?

If VRT goes up in the budget, then it may be too late.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

galwaytt wrote: »
    If VRT goes up in the budget, then it may be too late.
    Presuming the vrt stayed as is.
    Still worth waiting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Assuming that new car sales continue to rise in January, there should be more second hand cars on the market meaning that, ceteris paribus, the price of secondhand cars should drop. However, how "live" is the information feed for VRT, ie would it not take a month or more for the reduced prices to be recognised?

Marcusm wrote: »
    Assuming that new car sales continue to rise in January, there should be more second hand cars on the market meaning that, ceteris paribus, the price of secondhand cars should drop. However, how "live" is the information feed for VRT, ie would it not take a month or more for the reduced prices to be recognised?

I was told before that the pricesre-adjust within the first week of the new year..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I was told before that the pricesre-adjust within the first week of the new year..

As a matter of interest what is it costing now with car on irish plates?? There is a facelift model due in November so that might bring down the price again.

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what is it costing now with car on irish plates?? There is a facelift model due in November so that might bring down the price again.

€7400!

No the car aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭e.r

I presume he meant to just buy here

e.r wrote: »
    I presume he meant to just buy here

Around €34k

Around €34k

I thought as much I was looking at 12's and they were in around 30k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭e.r

Does it work out much cheaper, as I'm looking at buying a new van and wondering if it's worth the hassle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Does it work out much cheaper, as I'm looking at buying a new van and wondering if it's worth the hassle

Vrt have a table breakdown on when the vrt value drops. I'd expect it to be 5% cheaper in January, max 10%. But don't forget they will vrt you on the extras on top Of the vrt price the website gave you.

kceire wrote: »
    Vrt have a table breakdown on when the vrt value drops. I'd expect it to be 5% cheaper in January, max 10%. But don't forget they will vrt you on the extras on top Of the vrt price the website gave you.

I don't think it has any extras, although it does have DAB radio

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭SuperO'B

kceire wrote: »

I've never been VRT'd on extras and brought in 5 cars. It's always been the same as the website. Make it easy for them and have the statistical code filled in from the website for the spec. They're usually too lazy and will just roll with it once the form and V5 match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

If I was considering buying in the UK at the minute I'd keep a close eye on sterling in the next few weeks. It could fluctuate quite a lot with the Scottish independence vote coming up. A No vote could see it's value plummet, which would make cars over there great value.

Just my two cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

nicol wrote: »
    If I was considering buying in the UK at the minute I'd keep a close eye on sterling in the next few weeks. It could fluctuate quite a lot with the Scottish independence vote coming up. A No vote could see it's value plummet, which would make cars over there great value.

Just my two cents!

Do you mean a yes vote? But yes I was thinking the same thing earlier.

Yea sterling might just devalue thought to save a nice amount, but I'm sure the vrt on cars would also go up to compensate..
    Think I'll just bite the bullet and purchase before the new year :-|

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pounder770

If it's a van , as opposed to a car-derived van, vrt is a flat €200... I'm just after bringing back a high-spec Vw caddy ... Worth it for the spec and condition.

Advertisement