Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champion Hurdle, 13-03-12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭cson

RoverJames wrote: »
    Sure Ruby looked happy out on HF for most of it.

I think he expected them to come back to him rather than him going looking for them as it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

Morgans wrote: »
    Thought he was beaten at the top of the hill. I pity AP in following the wrong horse.

Great ride from the first two.

Zarkandar the horse to take out of it for me.

Looks made for the Aintree Hurdle over 2m and a half imo

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭El Ninotorres

Zarkandar
    Oh god is all I'll say. Oh god..

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

Way-hey! Go me!

I tipped him here on Page 13, boys and girls*

*The fact that I thought he would be second in no way interferes with my genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

Lovely though NOT having to bear a grinning Ruby Walsh in the Winners enclosure ,a big cocky head up on him.

• Advertisement

chipsdave wrote: »
    Lovely though NOT having to bear a grinning Ruby Walsh in the Winners enclosure ,a big cocky head up on him.

I chuckled at that :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

At least that's a positive way of looking at it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Zarkandar
    Morgans wrote: »
    Thought he was beaten at the top of the hill. I pity AP in following the wrong horse.

Great ride from the first two.

Zarkandar the horse to take out of it for me.

Agree with all of that.

Zarkandar couldn't have had the race run more to suit, maybe if he was closer...

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Markgc

But what kind of ride did he give him. All the way at the back!!! I thought it was bloody Jamie Spencer onboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Zarkandar
    Nulty wrote: »
    Agree with all of that.

Zarkandar couldn't have had the race run more to suit, maybe if he was closer...

Zarkandar couldn't lay up with the pace. Finished like a train though. Looks like he needs further. A good run though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

Other (please specify)
    Think I tipped rock on ruby first
    Had few accumulators with hurricane then did e/w bet on rock on ruby today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Zarkandar
    I just can't believe Rock On Ruby is the Champion Hurdler

WTF like???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

When you're absolutely the best in the world at what you do... you're entitled to a little cockiness...

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    When you're absolutely the best in the world at what you do... you're entitled to a little cockiness...

Paul Carberry is better in chases and AP McCoy is better in hurdle races imo. In your opinion Ruby is absolutely the best in the World, presumably at being a NH jockey?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Paul Carberry is better in chases and AP McCoy is better in hurdle races imo. In your opinion Ruby is absolutely the best in the World, presumably at being a NH jockey?
    Carberry is better at everything.Walsh is top class,so are the following AP,Russell,Choc,Johnson,Maguire,Brennan,Lynch.You have to be top class to ride for top stables.

sting60 wrote: »
    Carberry is better at everything...........

I'd agree with that actually :)
    Nothing against him as I'm a huge fan but at the end of the day he has other interests and things to do that meant over and back to England on a weekly basis wasn't his cup of tea.

I'd agree with that actually :)
    Nothing against him as I'm a huge fan but at the end of the day he has other interests and things to do that meant over and back to England on a weekly basis wasn't his cup of tea.
    He doesnt do tea.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Zarkandar
    I'm hugely disappointed that HF didn't win today. I really thought that HF could stamp his authority on the class and show his dominance, unfortunately this wasn't the case.

You can try to blame Walsh and while I do think he sat a bit too far back I don't know how much of a difference it would have ultimately made. Overturn set a cracking pace and was almost good enough to win the champion hurdle.

Maybe HF isn't as good as some people (including me thought). Maybe HF wasn't 100% in that he was sweating up before the race - I don't know.

I would have preferred to see Binocular beat HF.

I managed to finish the day up by clawing everything back on Quevega but I'm gutted HF didn't win.

8/1 for next years Champion Hurdle....

Shane732 wrote: »
    I'm hugely disappointed that HF didn't win today. I really thought that HF could stamp his authority on the class and show his dominance, unfortunately this wasn't the case.

You can try to blame Walsh and while I do think he sat a bit too far back I don't know how much of a difference it would have ultimately made. Overturn set a cracking pace and was almost good enough to win the champion hurdle.

Maybe HF isn't as good as some people (including me thought). Maybe HF wasn't 100% in that he was sweating up before the race - I don't know.

I would have preferred to see Binocular beat HF.

I managed to finish the day up by clawing everything back on Quevega but I'm gutted HF didn't win.

8/1 for next years Champion Hurdle....
    HF is byMonju and they all have their quirks.Mullins has previously said that the horse does this [sweat before race] but it does not effect him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Hope Spirit Son comes back 100% next year.

HF isnt at his best at Cheltenham imo.

He should have got there on the bridle today and he wasnt up to it.

• Advertisement

Zarkandar
    mdwexford wrote: »
    Hope Spirit Son comes back 100% next year.

HF isnt at his best at Cheltenham imo.

He should have got there on the bridle today and he wasnt up to it.

Would be great to see Spirit Son 100% all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tipster

Zarkandar
    hugely disappointed with the fly today was beaten 4 out just think he needs a bit more cut in the ground these days but i wll keep faith in him he just ran way below his best today and roll on punchestown and we will get it all back on him.thank god for the mare and sprinter keep me alive for tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Zarkandar
    I thought they'd gone a suicidal clip & wouldn't get home. Eventhough Overturn has surely improved since last year I'm assuming that race will be rated several lbs lower than last year?

Hindsight us 20-20, maybe coming here off the back of one run wasnt ideal but i did think HF would win. Lifted as much as I could at 1.84 on Betfair last night & backed it at evs this morning. Usually arb for a profit either way but had HF green for a good bit & level on the field.

Maybe HF isn't as good as some people (including me thought)...........

Well he was never a 1/4 shot :P
    glad you got your wedge back on Quevega though, I wouldn't have had the balls for that with the size of the field despite the ratings :)

Zarkandar
    Well he was never a 1/4 shot :P
    glad you got your wedge back on Quevega though, I wouldn't have had the balls for that with the size of the field despite the ratings :)

Ah come on I was being sarcastic when I said that! If you read back through the thread you'll see I sad I was being sarcastic a couple of posts after I said it!

I was shi*ting it that something would bring her down!

Ah come on I was being sarcastic when I said that! If you read back through the thread you'll see I sad I was being sarcastic a couple of posts after I said it!

I know :)
    Still though.... :pac:

........... Lifted as much as I could at 1.84 on Betfair last night & backed it at evs this morning. Usually arb for a profit either way but had HF green for a good bit & level on the field.

What I love about the gambling forum is you still have the horsey chat to an extent but with none of the "ah well at least I didn't lose me arse because I backed xyz" after the event.

Zarkandar
    I thought they'd gone a suicidal clip & wouldn't get home. Eventhough Overturn has surely improved since last year I'm assuming that race will be rated several lbs lower than last year?

Hindsight us 20-20, maybe coming here off the back of one run wasnt ideal but i did think HF would win. Lifted as much as I could at 1.84 on Betfair last night & backed it at evs this morning. Usually arb for a profit either way but had HF green for a good bit & level on the field.

I was just waiting for them to come back to the field but it just didn't happen. Ruby got worried at the top of the hill and just didn't have enough in the tank to claw Overturn back.

You have to take your hat off to Overturn he is a quality animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Zarkandar
    ........... Lifted as much as I could at 1.84 on Betfair last night & backed it at evs this morning. Usually arb for a profit either way but had HF green for a good bit & level on the field.

What I love about the gambling forum is you still have the horsey chat to an extent but with none of the "ah well at least I didn't lose me arse because I backed xyz" after the event.

You must have missed earlier in the thread when I posted Coral had said they'd be putting evs up at 8.30am and it was a nice arb.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Morgans

Has to be a doubt over Hurricane Fly status after today. I dont think he is quite the horse we thought he was. Maybe the lesser pace from last year suited him - maybe the prep was better also, but the winner looks a very very good horse. He put a lot of daylight between himself and Overturn from the last.

Advertisement