Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2012 & training log links

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Ingrid Whining Backstop

Oryx wrote: »
    High targets will mean a lot of junk miles.

I disagree Oryx, as someone who is topping the table i doubt i have very little junk miles in there. Every session has a purpose rather than just clocking up volume for the sake of it.

Edited to add: as someone who was previously topping the table.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im not starting a war here.;) I would say the top five would be less inclined to junk, but those of us following on, certainly are to a greater or lesser degree.

I still think the challenge is a good motivator, and I would rather train hard and risk junk miles than play safe, but making the point that for a mid distance guy its not everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I agree with the sentiment that its just a bit of fun! All the talk of other stuff is just a way of sorting the data into some kind of order. Maybe there are junk miles but miles ate miles. Who cares. Log them!
    All of the added columns this year were added by request they had no bearing on the order. The jogging forum challenge is just as geeky IMO.

BTW this year has been the most engaging yet. More people involved. More .ms logged in general across the board. From my perspective the trend this year was that people really worked on their swimming!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Maybe there are junk miles but miles ate miles.

What are these "miles" you speak of? I vaguely remember them from the athletics/running forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Speaking of junk, just broke 6,000k on the bike...

Separately, I've only logged a paltry ~4,000km in the car this year - shocking:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Im not starting a war here.;) I would say the top five would be less inclined to junk, but those of us following on, certainly are to a greater or lesser degree.

How dare you!! My grass cutting is NOT junk miles!! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I must update again, see if it gets me into the top 3. Or maybe I'll wait till the end of the month! :pac:

A tech question.

Can you link from an external Google spreadsheet to the SBR spreadsheet?

The movement of places during the sorting updates might make this a messy task.

The reason I ask is I played with a spreadsheet ROM produced for tracking run training and expanded it for SBRO. If its possible to embed the links after a user name it might be a handy way for people to track their more detailed analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

zico10 wrote: »
    <Snip>
    I don't know how well I'm putting my case forward, but what I'm trying to say is that heavy training volumes at Olympic distance are going to be just as beneficial as heavy training volumes at IM distance.

I rarely agree with you but on this I do.

AG IMers do barely enough distance for IMs IMHO. AG Oly people, the good ones, probably do more than the average IMer.

I agree with Fazz. All the talk of additional measurements allowing for the race distance you do is nonsense. A km swam,cycled or ran is a km swam,cyled or ran whatever way you look at it, simple really. Or should we start allowing for kids, busy jobs etc. In that case i propose for every km i do it should count as 3:rolleyes:.

Let's not lose the "fun" element of the challenge by making things too serious. I would be surprised if people are actually treating this more than a bit of fun and if they are not they are doing things wrong imo.

QFT

I remember a post years back where the poster put forward, and was being serious, a suggestion that all triathlon races results should have the number of kids, length of commute and hours worked incorporated.

What I gather from alot of the posts here is that some people want their lack of commitment (or that would say life circumstances) mitigated for.

Example : Saturday day night. Club Christmas party.
    One person left at 11pm because he wanted to go for a spin on Sunday.
    One person left at 11:15pm because he was wrecked from the 3 hour hard ride he did Friday, and add on the long ride Saturday morning, the full working week and the fact that he was up at 6am for another long ride and a run in the evening meant he couldn't stay any longer.

Neither drank.

Tango, JB and myself were sh1tfaced by 10pm (to be honest I was smashed by 7pm as I had a bottle and a half of wine before I met everyone), we got fvkced out of the late bar at 3am and home lord knows when.

When they tell me their weekly, monthly and yearly numbers should I make excuses and look for them to factor in the number of games of hop-scotch I played with my daughter? Should I look for additional National Serise points because I cannot cycle to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Too bad there's not some simple way to track the effectiveness of the training we're all doing since, really, it should all be about the results of our work and not just the work itself.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Too bad there's not some simple way to track the effectiveness of the training we're all doing since, really, it should all be about the results of our work and not just the work itself.
    I'm hoping the winter meetup and deep freeze swim will indicate where I actually am on the pecking order, better than the sbr. :p

The only way to track personal improvements is with regular tts and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I'm hoping the winter meetup and deep freeze swim will indicate where I actually am on the pecking order, better than the sbr. :p

We get to multiply all next years SBR totals by the number of minutes you stay in the water, everyone is agreed on that.;)

My 2¢ MCOS, it ain't broke, but I'm looking forward to it next year no matter what form it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Would have to agree with Izoard. Its purely a Quantitative challenge and should be treated as such. I only use it as tracking what miles I have put in for the year. Have only used the columns to the right once and never since. If J Friel was asked his opinion on it it would be pretty obvious what hed say.
    Id Be far more interested in a qualitative challenge. One which tracked intensity, hr ,speed , power…one which you could track real progress on. Would such a challenge be workable though?

Would have to agree with Izoard. Its purely a Quantitative challenge and should be treated as such. I only use it as tracking what miles I have put in for the year. Have only used the columns to the right once and never since. If J Friel was asked his opinion on it it would be pretty obvious what hed say.
    Id Be far more interested in a qualitative challenge. One which tracked intensity, hr ,speed , power…one which you could track real progress on. Would such a challenge be workable though?

sTSS + TSS + rTSS

tunney wrote: »
    sTSS + TSS + rTSS
    I have tried to understand that and am now more confused.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/running/running-training-stress-score.aspx

For instance, how do you know the IF?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

We have one of those things in the proper forum too :)

RayCun wrote: »
    We have one of those things in the proper forum too :)

How can you call that a proper forum. You've meters, miles and kilometers all jumbled up in that thing! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You've meters, miles and kilometers all jumbled up in that thing! :rolleyes:

I forgot that triathletes were famous for liking clear distinctions between different things :)

It all boils down to what the table does for you.

All the talk of multiple columns and splitting hais are (I think) tongue in cheek. This year I found the table a great way to actually help motivate myself to go out and do that extra session that I might have let slip by due to tiredness or just feeling lazy. I had to become more structured about what I was doing and why I was doing it and to what end the training.

Having a training plan made a big improvement to my year, but actually seeing where my training sat against / alongside peers in the sport helped keep it all in perspective.

Saying that, I am so frustrated that having caught & passed CW in the run this year to then drop back down the table. Every little jump up the table was like a mini-victory, every slide back a reality check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Saying that, I am so frustrated that having caught & passed CW in the run this year to then drop back down the table. Every little jump up the table was like a mini-victory, every slide back a reality check.

I do remember looking at who was next up ahead of me once I was back running and scrolling way way way..... down the page (you need to swim more ;)) to find Amphkingwest sitting above me on 1572. WTF was my first response!

I see a little 3k tester run has been added on to your run stats recently - I hope it went well, I have a good start on you at this stage for the early new year duathlons!

I have tried to understand that and am now more confused.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/running/running-training-stress-score.aspx

For instance, how do you know the IF?

Slightly tongue in cheek. I use these metrics but to be honest its completely inappropriate for this as
    (a) assumes you have a swim watch (910xt, Garmin swim, Finis)
    (b) assumes you have a power meter
    (c) assumes you have a altitude equiped SnD watch
    (d) assumes you have accurately tested swim/bike/run
    (e) assumes you are not clueless

tunney wrote: »
    Slightly tongue in cheek. I use these metrics but to be honest its completely inappropriate for this as
    (a) assumes you have a swim watch (910xt, Garmin swim, Finis)
    (b) assumes you have a power meter
    (c) assumes you have a altitude equiped SnD watch
    (d) assumes you have accurately tested swim/bike/run
    (e) assumes you are not clueless
    I would have expected you to put this first on the list, in reply to me, and left out all the rest. Your standards are slipping.

catweazle wrote: »
    I see a little 3k tester run has been added on to your run stats recently - I hope it went well, I have a good start on you at this stage for the early new year duathlons!

You're not watching your back or anything are you ? ;)

It went well, you've jumped too far ahead for me to haul you back in this time. Next year ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

A tech question.

Can you link from an external Google spreadsheet to the SBR spreadsheet?

The movement of places during the sorting updates might make this a messy task.

The reason I ask is I played with a spreadsheet ROM produced for tracking run training and expanded it for SBRO. If its possible to embed the links after a user name it might be a handy way for people to track their more detailed analysis.

So wait a minute, are you saying the CIA were involved in the cover up all along?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

There is though, they're called races!:)

Id imagine you will probably put us all to shame on that one ! Im shivering at the thought already...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

at long last final gold reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Dripping. In. Gold. :)

• Advertisement

Is it the year of the hobbit? Has RQ got the hoochie title sown up?

100/2000/800
    200/4000/1600
    400/8000/3000

Any more thoughts?

Advertisement