Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY Rabbit Hutch

Options
  • 26-04-2011 10:59am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've not woodcraft experience (except at a drunk attempt to construct a hot press which is actually still standing!)

I have an idea of what I want to build. I can draw it up using cad and dimension it accurately.

What I dont have an idea about is technique, material and equipment.

Material - What would type should I go for for outdoor use plus where should I get it

Technique - Best way for form joints simply butt one end against another (probably need lots of tips here)

Equipment - May have access to skill saw. Have hammer, saw and cordless screw driver. Anything else?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

For materials, your best option would be pressure treated softwood for the carcass (frame) and the cladding (the skin of the structure). Essentially you're building a mini shed, so a visit to a

shed merchant should give you an idea of the sort of materials involved. Cladding is normally either tongue and groove, or shiplap - these are board profiles to keep the weather out. There are

masses of suppliers - roughly what part of the country are you in?

You can make your carcass perfectly well with butt joints glued and screwed together - most commercial structures like this, rarely ever use glue though. Of course joining the timber is

stronger but probably not really necessary in this instance. The cladding will add a fair bit of stiffness and strength once it's well fixed. Just make sure that you drill pilot holes for any screws

near the end of a piece.

Equipment - aahh........ don't get me started!

If you can get your hands on a mitre saw aka chopsaw, you're sorted and there'll be no stoppin' ya.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm based in Dublin 8 but am in most places in around with work and what not so can travel if needed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Sorry, don't know D8 too well so I can't suggest shed people thereabouts but I'm sure somebody here, will. If you travel as far as Rathfarnham there used to be Kelly's sawmills but I think they're called Timbertrove now - they'll supply the kind of materials and fixings you need.
    If you travel even further down Wicklow way there are plenty of suppliers who are considerably less expensive - most of the sawmills down this way supply the shed manufacturers. I can point you in the right direction in Wicklow, if it suits you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

wicklow wouldnt be to far for me to travel.i'm out that way a fair bit

Then I can highly recommend Wood Industries in Rathdrum - they will bend over backwards to help and their wood is top notch.
    There's also Abwood off the N11 near the Newcastle exit.
    And there's Woodfab in Aughrim.
    All 3 have websites, if you need directions.
    I'm not connected to any of these suppliers btw.

• Advertisement

thanks for the info.

The woodfab timber has a nice booklet which should be handy for putting together drawings and ordering materials.

I'm nearly done with my drawings and hope to head down to the lumber yard shortly to get prices.

But just wondering is there any tutorials on how to work wood ie construct joints, marking out, cutting etc

I think books are a better way to learn about joining timber than (online?) tutorials. It's a bit like cooking - it's easier if you have the recipe in front of you, rather than trying to remember what you watched on a screen. Books and learning from others, is what worked for me.

godtabh wrote: »
    I'm nearly done with my drawings and hope to head down to the lumber yard shortly to get prices.

But just wondering is there any tutorials on how to work wood ie construct joints, marking out, cutting etc

They's called timber yards in these here parts ;)

No idea where I got lumber from!

I'd print off what ever I need from online or view it on my iPad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

could just use treated cladding stuck to a treated 2x2 frame with the option of chicken wire or the likes. Theres a chadwicks up the road from you on thomas st. (I think);) they might supply it.

godtabh wrote: »
    No idea where I got lumber from!

I'd print off what ever I need from online or view it on my iPad

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Just lurkin on this forum, and i thought id throw up a picture of a rabbit hutch i made in school :D
    Pretty happy with how it finished, the door with the chicken wire was a bit of a disaster but ah well
    Going to try a few small projects over the summer, a few birdhouses and what not :)

Advertisement