Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi tool bargains.

Options
  • 05-01-2006 10:45pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see Aldi have some good offers on scroll saws, grinders ect this sunday, so if you are after a value for money addition to the workshop, get shopping.

They normally come with a 3 year guarantee, and I have used powercraft routers along with my top of the range de-walt and hitachi. And value for money you wont beat them.

Ideal tools for some one starting out, or on a small budget.

http://www.aldi.ie/

kadman:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I'll second that Kadman, I've picked up a few of Aldi's powertools over the years and find them great, but for the price alone, even if they do only last a year you wouldnt be at a loss. The planers they do are great little things, dont know how I lived without one :D . The miniture pillar drills very handy and again cheap. The scroll saw though I had a little trouble with and I suspsect that may be the cheap blades that came with it.

All in all, you cant beat a bit of German machinary! ;)

CroppyBoy1798

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 reynoldgreenlea

Hi

You mention about the blades to the scroll saw. I was wondering where I could get some replacement blades - I have run out!

I am based in the Longford Westmeath area.

Good Luck

Reynold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

Never- ever buy aldi tools. You might get them cheap but they will break your heart.
    I bought several things over the years but i will never get anything from there again. When you need it most it will fail to work, and they can be dangerous. They are made from crap materials its amaxzing they work at all. I bought a planer and a router there and the planer was absolute crap, i'd take off more with a hand plane.
    True buying professional tools like Makita is far more expensive, €230 for a good masonry-kango drill vs 30 for the aldi. But at least you have quality and piece of mind and you know it wont let you down. I haveseveral Makita tools and they are the best there is. This includes a 650W drill that is donkeys yrs old but still perfect after years of use and abuse. The Makita planer is way faster,stronger and far lighter thatn the Alsi excuse for a planer.
    Cheapy aldi (or any DIY woodies, B&Q type) tools will end up costing you more in the long term becasue you will have to replace them every wet day, and also the frustration and lost time inviolved,
    They are also dangerous. I had a small grinder where the motor fan spontaneously disintegrated sending shrapnel all over the place - i had a good mind to sue, i should have.
    Professional quality tools will last a lifetime and won't let you down. You will find all the DIY aldi-Homebase-Woodies-B&Q type stuff has all these features like Lasers, and turbo buttons and all these other gimmicks whereas the professional ones don't becasue this is precisly what they are - stupid useless gimmicks to try and sell a stupid useless product

Another thing, if you every are unluckey enough to have a makita or quality tool break down (very unlikely) there is excellent parts and service backup to be had. If your cheapy DIY woodies/aldi/B&Q tool breaks down, (100% guaranteed) there's absolutely **** backup - parts are practically unavailable and the staff in the shop know fcuk all about anything, there dopes the lot of em.

Anyway the moral of the storey is;
    Buy cheap, buy again tomorrow
    Buy quality, buy for life

As me dad used to say; a good quality tool/machine is only expensive the day you buy it.
    (in other words a expensive, quality articel will end up cheaper cos it will last a lifetime)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭gk5000

That's a bit simplistic M&C.

The way I do it is:
    If I know I shall get lots of use out of it then I buy good quality (not necessarily expensive). But, I often buy cheapish stuff in Lidl/Aldi that I'm not sure I shall ever use.

If I use it once, or occasionally then it pays for itself and is there when I need it; and worst case hasn't cost too much.
    If I use it alot, or break it through use.. then I know I need a better one.

Example: I bought one of them 200 piece drill accessory kits for about €20, obviously not the highest quality. There's 3 or 4 of each common size drill bit, driver etc in it; and lots of stuff you might use once a year.
    So it's great to have all these obscure pieces, and then I buy a good version of the individual bit/driver that I keep breaking ... like 6mm for rawlplugs.
    "Or you could say that buy cheap unless you are sure you need higher quality".

Besides I find lots of Lidd/Aldi to be quite good, especially their gardening tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

I buy the aldi tools, especially the things that i know i'll only use occassionaly and I have never had a prob with them, granted I have good brand tools for the things I know I will use alot.

Well what really happens is I go into aldi for groceries (I prefer their fruit and meat to lidl) and end up buying a few tools!!! The I go to lidl to pick up some of there breads and end up buying more tools!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

kadman wrote: »
    I see Aldi have some good offers on scroll saws, grinders ect this sunday, so if you are after a value for money addition to the workshop, get shopping.

They normally come with a 3 year guarantee, and I have used powercraft routers along with my top of the range de-walt and hitachi. And value for money you wont beat them.

Ideal tools for some one starting out, or on a small budget.

http://www.aldi.ie/

kadman:)
    Welcome home Kadman - it's been a while:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

slowburner wrote: »
    Welcome home Kadman - it's been a while:)

Sure has, he posted that 5 1/2 years ago.

Aldi tools are grand DIY stuff. I would only use power tools the odd time, so they suit me fine. I could never justify spending over €100 on something i might use once aa year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Aldi/Lidl power tools are not built like professional tools nor do they cost as much. You gets what you pays for. It would be just plain silly to expect a power tool that costs €30 to perform as well or last as long as a tool costing €300.
    If you think a tool might be something you would need - why not try a cheapy. If you find that you have plenty of use for it, then upgrade to a better quality one. If you find that you don't use it much - then you haven't lost much and the cheapy might survive for the times you need it.
    That's how I approach tools from these places and most of them are still going strong.
    (I must confess to finding the ones from L's better quality than A's but I wouldn't like to be seen out and about with either :o)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Aldi/Lidl power tools are not built like professional tools nor do they cost as much. You gets what you pays for. It would be just plain silly to expect a power tool that costs €30 to perform as well or last as long as a tool costing €300.
    If you think a tool might be something you would need - why not try a cheapy. If you find that you have plenty of use for it, then upgrade to a better quality one. If you find that you don't use it much - then you haven't lost much and the cheapy might survive for the times you need it.
    That's how I approach tools from these places and most of them are still going strong.
    (I must confess to finding the ones from L's better quality than A's but I wouldn't like to be seen out and about with either :o)

Well my Aldi 35 euro electric sabre saw is still going 3 years now,and its cut up countless amounts of old and new railway sleepers and large tree branches.

Yep,you get what you pay for.:D

paddy147 wrote: »
    Well my Aldi 35 euro electric sabre saw is still going 3 years now,and its cut up countless amounts of old and new railway sleepers and large tree branches.

Yep,you get what you pay for.:D
    And if anyone is going to get a bargain it'll be you :D

• Advertisement

And if anyone is going to get a bargain it'll be you :D

I even haggled on 2 outdoor fleece tops a few weeks ago in Aldi.1 red for her and 1 grey for me.

Both had the packaging missing,but both were perfect and intact.so I got the manager to drop the price from 20 euro each down to 14 euro each.:D

paddy147 wrote: »
    I even haggled on 2 outdoor fleece tops a few weeks ago in Aldi.1 red for her and 1 grey for me.

Both had the packaging missing,but both were perfect and intact.so I got the manager to drop the price from 20 euro each down to 14 euro each.:D
    Now that's an achievement. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I got 2 sanders there 2 years ago and i have got hundred of hours out of them, with no problems!

15 quid each i think!

I got one of those sanders too, the orbital ones. God knows I've killed a good few machines in my time but that beast refuses to give in. Ditto for one of their sabre saws.
    I got a router too - great power for a small machine but bits keep flying out of the collet :eek:
    Keep an eye on these places for sanding discs too, good quality and 1/10th the price of anywhere else. And epoxy resin glue, at least half the price of anywhere else. Only problem is you have to buy them when you see them - here today/gone for 6 months.

Now that's an achievement. :D

Well,as the saying goes............if you dont ask then you wont get.;):D

Advertisement