Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Book Crossing website www.bookcrossing.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

looksee wrote: »
    I found a bookcrossing book really in the wild, in the cafe at Ladies View Killarney. It was lying on a table so it couldn't have been there long, but I had seen the website so I knew what it was. I was ridiculously thrilled about it, registered it, read it and released it, but I don't think it got much further.
    Don't be too disappointed if no one updates a journal entry, just keep trying! It's great fun!

Snap Happy wrote: »
    Mulligans Stonebatter are now hosting bookcrossing book

*- http://www.lmulligangrocer.com/ -*

If your looking for a book to read drop in and see what's there.
    If you want drop off a book or 2 while your there

http://www.bookcrossing.com/hunt/13/2031/68199/635573
    Thanks so much for that info. I'll certainly pop in and leave a few books there!

So I've found out a few places where you can leave books, though they aren't all registered as Official Book Crossing Zones (OBCZ):

Long Stone pub, Townsend St. Dublin 2 (OBCZ)
    Douglas & Kaldi, Ongar (OBCZ)
    Mulligans, Stoneybatter, Dublin 7 (OBCZ?)

These places just operate a bring a book/take a book scheme:

Douglas & Kaldi at Rathborne, Ashtown, Dublin 15
    Douglas & Kaldi at Dundrum Shopping Centre
    Starbucks at Dame St. Dublin 2
    Cedar Lounge, Raheny, Dublin 5

If anyone knows of any other places who would be willing to become Official Book Crossing Zones, please let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 emergingwriter

Starbucks in the chq at the IFSC in Dublin have a shelf for books to exchange. I run a book exchange at work and this is where I donate our excess. It's not an official bookcrossing site as far as I know but they were happy for me to leave books there

I used to have a book box in work. However when I moved location, I had to think of a different way of circulating books (apart of course, from the charity shops). That's when I found out about Book Crossing and I love it! I love the whole idea of being able to track my books all over the world.

How is your book exchange in work going? I wasn't sure whether to start that in work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 emergingwriter

The shelves at work are going much better than I hoped. The turnover is very quick (but I never see anyone doing it, which is wierd) When I have excess books, I've taken some that haven't moved for a while and left them in my local Starbucks who have a shelf.
    Can recommend it more highly

• Advertisement

I might start the book box again so. It might cheer everyone up!

Just to report that the book box in work is going really well. All of the books are registered under Book Crossing.

I also gave out all my WBN books, all of them have BC stickers on them also. Hopefully we'll get a few new Book Crossing members as a result.

Book Crossers - Dublin, Ireland meetup - **TOMORROW** Tuesday 22nd March 2011

On Tuesday 22nd March you can find bookcrossers at The Longstone Pub on Townsend St (near the Garda station), from about 7.30pm. All welcome!

Look for the table piled with books. We will be in the snug to one side of the bar. Keep following the bar around until you hit us, or ask a member of staff who will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Food is available until 9pm if you fancy a bite.

Sorry I forgot to say, the Book of the Month for March is:

Breakfast at Tiffanys by Truman Capote

I chose that book as it's nice and short. I know people have so many books to read for various book clubs!

The BOTM for April is:

Ghost Light by Joseph O'Connor

The next meeting will be on Tuesday 19th April from about 7.30pm in the Longstone pub, Townsend St.

The Book of the Month is "Ghost Light" by Joseph O'Connor, to coincide with the One Book One Day initiative-

http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/libraries/Events/Pages/one_city_one_book.aspx

We had a very successful meeting last month with two newbies attending. All boardsies are particularly welcome. Unfortunately I won't be at the next meeting as I am swanning off here to Washington:
    http://www.bcindc.zoiks.org/

but the other Book Crossers will look after you.

The Dublin convention website is here:

http://bcdublin2012.com/

Hoping that you will come along to the Dublin Convention.

I'll keep an eye out on the book crossing forum
    http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/8
    for any new members from Ireland. You can introduce yourself on the forum (called Introduce Yourself) and meet up virtually or in person with all the other BCers.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Being one of the newbies who attended the last meeting, I can't say enough good things about the evening. Everyone is very welcoming and there is great spirited discussion and a lot of laughs. Plus you could pick up some great books! What more could you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 christine_cro

I'm might come along to the next meeting if thats ok :)

That would be wonderful, you're very welcome. Young west wing will keep an eye out for you. You'll enjoy it.

Now don't take the Book of the Month too seriously. Though you will find a few members who have actually read the book. The rest of us just talk about basically anything - books, politics, social issues, hobbies, films, travel etc. etc.

We have just established a few new sub-committees;
    Whiskey club
    Wine club
    Knitting club

There will be social outings during the summer, the highlight of which might be a trip to Belfast to see the Book Crossers there.

So you can see we are a very sociable lot. I've had a great time since I joined last year.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 nanofano

This sounds so cool!! What could be better than books in a pub!? Can i bring a friend?

Ya I'll be at the next meeting and will definitely look out for any new boardsies who come. The more the merrier!

nanofano wrote: »
    This sounds so cool!! What could be better than books in a pub!? Can i bring a friend?
    Of course! The only qualities you require to be a Book Crosser are to have an interest in books and to be sociable.

I'm looking forward to meeting all the new members. We have a Yahoo group set up. When you sign up to Book Crossing then let us know and we'll talk to you more then.

We are just trying a new initiative of having daytime Book Crossing meetings. We were hoping that this would suit people with family responsibilities, or who just are not into the pub scene.

Saturday 9th April at 11.30am (approx. 1.5 – 2 hours)
    In Brooks Hotel, Drury St. Dublin 2.

http://www.brookshotel.ie/location.html
    Look out for the table filled with books!

The Book of the Month is “For Esme with Love and Squalor” by John Steinbeck

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Esm%C3%A9-Love-Squalor-Other-Stories/dp/0241950457/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301911205&sr=1-1

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780241950456/For-Esme---with-Love-and-Squalor
    The book would also be available to order in your local library.

Please don’t worry if you don’t get time to read the Book of the Month, just come along anyway and join in the book discussion. We don’t take the Book of the Month too seriously in these Book Crossing meetings. We’re just happy to have a general literary/whatever discussion. The group is mainly about social activities too, and there are several events planned for the upcoming months. See here for information about the Dublin Book Crossing convention planned for next year.

http://bcdublin2012.com/

The usual monthly Book Crossing meetup will take place in the Longstone pub, Townsend St. Dublin 2 on Tuesday 19th April from 7.30pm. The Book of the Month for that meeting is “Ghost Light” by Joseph O’Connor, to coincide with the One City, One Book initiative:
    http://www.dublinonecityonebook.ie/

If anyone would like any more information about Book Crossing, see here: www.bookcrossing.com or contact me by pm.

Hope to see you at one of the meetings!

Oops! Apologies, wrong author! How could I?

The book is "For Esme with Love and Squalor" by J.D. Salinger

I haven't received my copy yet from the Book Depository. So if everyone hasn't read the book by Saturday we might hold it over until the next month. I'm sure we will find other books to talk about.

Hope to see you all in Brooks Hotel.

Well it's all go here this week, very busy in Book Crossing land!

Dublin, Ireland meetup - Tuesday 19th April 2011

On Tuesday 19th April you can find bookcrossers at The Longstone Pub on Townsend St (near the Garda station), from about 7.30pm. All welcome!

Look for the table piled with books. We will be in the snug to one side of the bar. Keep following the bar around until you hit us, or ask a member of staff who will be happy to point you in the right direction.

The Book of the Month for that meeting is “Ghost Light” by Joseph O’Connor

So update your diaries/phones with all the meetings. Hope to see a few boardsies there! :)

Hi! I just realized I won't be able to make Saturdays meeting as I'm heading home to my Father's anniversary mass. I thought bookcrossing on Saturday wasn't until next week. Shame. Personally I would love if you held off on discussing the book for another while as I loved it and would love to talk to others about it but it's not a big deal. Enjoy Saturday and make sure to post up the minutes!

• Advertisement

No problem at all. We'll wait to discuss the book when you can make a meeting. I'll bring along a few Booker Prize titles that I want to give away, so we'll have a chat about those. Hopefully people might bring along their favourite books also.

I know it's a bit early to be arranging the next May day-time meeting, but how does either the 7th or the 14th May sound to you? I know you have a lot of cultural things going on, so wasn't sure what would suit.

Did you hear anything back from the Book Crossers who are from your neck of the woods? I know that they are probably trying to find you. Book Crossers are persistent!

There are Book Crossers in every part of Ireland at this stage:
    Cork, Galway, Limerick, Kilkenny, Wexford, Belfast, Dublin, Meath
    and of course, all over the world.

It's very interesting to talk to all the international and Irish Book Crossers on the Book Crossing forums.

If any of you do join up, please introduce yourself on the Introduce Yourself forum, so that we can all find you!

I got my copy of "For Esme with Love and Squalor" yesterday, great service (and good value) from the Book Depository. So I've started the book anyway.

Hope the Saturday meeting went well! Personally for me the 7th May suits but I'm sure you decided on a date at the meeting.

I hope you enjoy "For Esme with Love and Squalor", the way I did. Yeah I saw that there is an event in Limerick going on so I must make more enquiries into it and introduce myself.

Yes, all went really well on Saturday. I'll try finishing those minutes of the meeting today. I'll post details of the next meeting in a while, it will probably be on another Saturday in about 6-8 weeks time. I'm aware that people have so much other stuff to do on Saturdays!

I am really enjoying the book "For Esme with Love and Squalor", about half-way through. I love all those "Beat" generation writers. While you wouldn't exactly consider J.D. Salinger as part of the Beat generation, I think his books are very modern in style. I'm fascinated by that whole period in America, but particularly New York post 1945 to mid sixties. You've probably guessed that I am also a big fan of the TV series "Mad Men". So thanks to everyone who recommended this book.

We will of course, hold the book over as Book of the Month for the next daytime meeting. We'll pick another one as well, just to keep things interesting, so any suggestions for another book are welcome.

Another book I like is "The Best of Everything" by Rhona Jaffe. It is definitely not chick lit, but a very realistic story of women working in 1950's New York. A bit like Peggy in Mad Men. It's worth a read. I think they are re-releasing it as a paperback next month but I prefer the old retro cover.

Sorry for going off topic. Back to Book Crossing. I'll report here in a couple of weeks on the proceedings at the Washington convention

http://www.bcindc.zoiks.org/

I can't wait for the one in Dublin next year!

Just want to bump this up to remind people that we're meeting tonight at 7.30pm in the Longstone pub. All welcome!

Book Crossing meetings:

1) Dublin, Ireland meetup - Tuesday 17th May 2011

On Tuesday 17th May you can find bookcrossers at The Longstone Pub on Townsend St (near the Garda station), from about 7.30pm. All welcome!

The Book of the Month for that meeting is “The Invisible Man" by H.G. Wells

2) Day time meeting:

Saturday 4th June at 12 midday

Brook Hotel, Drury St. Dublin 2.

The Books of the Month are:

"For Esme With Love & Squalor" by J.D. Salinger (held over from last meeting)
    "**** My Father says" by Justin Halpern

Edit:
    Oops sorry, I just realised I can't post this word! So you'll just have to guess the title!

All boardsies are especially welcome. I'll make sure you get a free book. There are quite a lot of books on the shelf at the Official Book Crossing Zone (OBCZ) in the Long Stone pub, Townsend St. Dublin 2. So do pop along if you'd like a free book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's "Shit My Dad Says" - very funny book. TV show is good too with the legendary William Shatner as the dad.

I just registered on the site - heard about Book Crossing from a woman in my local - fantastic concept. Trying to find the right size labels to print out my first batch. Have plenty of books to set free :)

Hope to make it in to the Long Stone on the 17th.

Yes, that was weird! When I typed "that" word, it came out in stars! I think I know why that happened.
    That would be great, if you can make the next meeting. I have a few labels I could give you. Some book Crossers print their own labels.

See you on the 17th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 guyserious

This sound like a great idea, I'm gonna try to come along on the 17th :)

• Advertisement

That's great, you're very welcome! The other members will be delighted to see all the boardsies! I myself, heard about Book Crossing through boards.

Advertisement