Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Who peed in your cornflakes? :eek:

It weren't me who called them "Bob's Knobs" it weren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

It weren't me who called them "Bob's Knobs" it weren't.

You're right.

If this years Ferrari has a knob nose it's gonna look like a Red Rocket :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Seems Caterham will have their car ready for the first test. They have been very quiet since the end of the season.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/01/08/caterham-will-new-car-first-test/

Any word on their driver line up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

logik wrote: »
    Seems Caterham will have their car ready for the first test. They have been very quiet since the end of the season.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/01/08/caterham-will-new-car-first-test/

Caterham have been working at lightning speed as far as I can tell. They were the first to have their chassis tested and homolgated. It seems like they really are pushing to understand the regs fast, and use the possibly tricky first few races to "jump" the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Ficus wrote: »
    So would i if i had gotten my ass handed to me by the Marussia team.

bit off topic but what's the Oreca 03 like to drive :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

They hardly did, Marussia got the highest individual result. Over the season Caterham were better, If you implemented a points system all the way down to last Caterham would have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

GarIT wrote: »
    They hardly did, Marussia got the highest individual result. Over the season Caterham were better, If you implemented a points system all the way down to last Caterham would have won.

F1 with IndyCar or NASCAR points system?

TheChrisD wrote: »
    F1 with IndyCar or NASCAR points system?

I don't know what the points systems are like there. I'm just saying that Marussia might have been good in the the first few races in 2013 and got one good result but they weren't consistently better than Caterham. I wouldn't call getting one good result over someone over a season of 19 races handing someone's ass to them.

Meh, make it about retirements and suddenly Massa, Alonso, Hamilton and Button matched Vettel. They didn't, and Marussia beat Caterham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Ye're both wrong (and right)

Caterham didn't have their asses handed to them, and Marussia weren't out driven either.

If you average the finishing positions of each teams drivers excluding retirements, Caterham wins hands-down 13 to 16.

BUT, if you include retirements as finishing 22, Caterham would be 18, and Marussia would be 18.

Here's the exact number:
    Excluding Retirements:
    Marussia: 16.26315789473684
    Caterham: 13.39473684210526

Including Retirements:
    Marussia: 18
    Caterham: 18.02631578947368

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

No word on who will drive for Caterham this year as of yet. I think they might hang on to Pic though.

Marussia still have to confirm who will drive alongside Bianchi, but I think they will keep Chilton on board.

No word on who will drive for Caterham this year as of yet. I think they might hang on to Pic though.

Marussia still have to confirm who will drive alongside Bianchi, but I think they will keep Chilton on board.

Do you think Chilton deserves another year? He is painfully slow, he is not cut out for F1.

Edit - If they do keep him, it won't be because of his speed, it will be because of his money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Do you think Chilton deserves another year? He is painfully slow, he is not cut out for F1.

Edit - If they do keep him, it won't be because of his speed, it will be because of his money.

Personally, no. He was mauled by his team mate all season. The hype about him breaking some record for most finishes for a rookie is absurd beyond belief too...starting from the back every race is a handy place to be for those kinds of awards

Just chipping in here, IMO, he's nowhere near the required level, but once daddy writes a £12m check to Manor Grand Prix Racing and he'll have his seat for next year sorted.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Personally, no. He was mauled by his team mate all season. The hype about him breaking some record for most finishes for a rookie is absurd beyond belief too...starting from the back every race is a handy place to be for those kinds of awards

My thoughts exactly. He should not be in F1. He looks like he should be in a Harry Potter movie, I can't warm to him. He is slow, his interviews are unbearable and I truly believe that if he was put into the current GP2 grid he would struggle there too.

My thoughts exactly. He should not be in F1. He looks like he should be in a Harry Potter movie, I can't warm to him. He is slow, his interviews are unbearable and I truly believe that if he was put into the current GP2 grid he would struggle there too.

What's his background, was he ever in GP2 before?

What's his background, was he ever in GP2 before?

Yeah he raced GP2 Series in 2010 - 2012. His career is actually not bad on paper, he just doesn't have what it takes for F1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Chilton

Yeah he raced GP2 Series in 2010 - 2012. His career is actually not bad on paper, he just doesn't have what it takes for F1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Chilton

Yeah, seems he done well in GP2 later on in his time there. Rating him against the only reliable barometer we have though, his team-mate, it's clear Chilton has been left really wanting in F1.

I've heard a few bits of info. Kobayashi claims to be discussing contracts and sponsorship deals with them and Kovalinen would appear to be out of the picture because he has no money. Kob is estimated to have around £6m a lot of that from fans and donations. I've also heard Kov would have gotten their number 1 seat if they had beaten Marussia.

Yeah, seems he done well in GP2 later on in his time there. Rating him against the only reliable barometer we have though, his team-mate, it's clear Chilton has been left really wanting in F1.

Yeah Bianchi is a bit of class alright. He looks quick in a slow car. I think he will do well for himself if he can hold a seat in F1. Isn't he a Ferrari development driver?

• Advertisement

I've heard a few bits of info. Kobayashi claims to be discussing contracts and sponsorship deals with them and Kovalinen would appear to be out of the picture because he has no money. Kob is estimated to have around £6m a lot of that from fans and donations.

Would love to see Kob back in F1. He is a breath of fresh air.

Yeah Bianchi is a bit of class alright. He looks quick in a slow car. I think he will do well for himself if he can hold a seat in F1. Isn't he a Ferrari development driver?

Yeah I think he is, he certainly was previously anyway...

He is indeed, that's why Ferrari are doing them a deal with next years engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

I'am just wondering, judging from the second half of the season has Nico Hulkenberg taken a step backwards going from Sauber to Force India? And if so why didn't he stay at Sauber as far as I heard they wanted him to stay?

KarlFitz01 wrote: »
    I'am just wondering from judging from the second half of the season has Nico Hulkenberg taken a step backwards going from Sauber to Force India? And if so why didn't he stay at Sauber as far as I heard they wanted him to stay?

Hard to say, the Force India looked alright at times..you could only imagine that in the right pair of hands, they'd have gotten more out of it. In saying that though, next year has a huge shake up coming...the rumour around which engines are better etc comes into effect. FI prob convinced him that they'll be pretty competitive with next seasons Merc engine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Actually thought that Bianchi got worse as the season went on. He started really well but didnt improve after that. Dont know how much of that could be put down to the car either.

I forgot to post a couple of days ago that Clare Williams did an interview on the topic of Williams switching to Mercedes and said that there is nobody in F1 that could give you an honest answer on which engine is better.

I forgot to post a couple of days ago that Clare Williams did an interview on the topic of Williams switching to Mercedes and said that there is nobody in F1 that could give you an honest answer on which engine is better.

She's prob right. Admittedly though, I've be very surprised if the Mercedes power plant was anything but really competitive in 2014

kksaints wrote: »
    Actually thought that Bianchi got worse as the season went on. He started really well but didnt improve after that. Dont know how much of that could be put down to the car either.

VS Max he was still good though. Caterham had a slow start to 2013, Marussia probably didn't improve as fast, especially with two rookies giving their feedback, Caterham had Pic. Ferrari seem to consider Bianchi to be better than DLR or at least having a lot more potential anyway. Bianchi was also considered for the Ferrari number 2 seat during the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

KarlFitz01 wrote: »
    I'am just wondering, judging from the second half of the season has Nico Hulkenberg taken a step backwards going from Sauber to Force India? And if so why didn't he stay at Sauber as far as I heard they wanted him to stay?

TBH Force India only went backwards after the mid-season tyre change.

Plus, I'm not expecting much from Ferrari's turbo V6.

Advertisement