Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threading a cable through 3/4 inch pipe.

• 04-12-2013 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭

I have a run of about 60 metres of light cable to bury. I was goin to put it in 3/4 water pipe. Any tips to what is the best material to lead it through without kinking. I could cut and join at intervals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have a run of about 60 metres of light cable to bury. I was goin to put it in 3/4 water pipe. Any tips to what is the best material to lead it through without kinking. I could cut and join at intervals.

Orange builders line - a couple of euro and then you won't have to worry about kinks. Roll out the line. Cut a v shaped slit about 1ft from the start of the pipe. Tie the end of line around a piece of tissue and stuff it into the pipe through the slit. Put the end of the pipe to the exhaust of the car/van/jeep/tractor and hold it there. Get someone to give it a good rev and hey presto you'll see the line run through it and out the other end :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Are you burying it? You are better off treading it through yellow drainage pipe. Water can get away yet the pipe will protect the cable.

Water will only condense in hydradare and could rot cable in time, causing you problems down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

You could also use fishing line and a heavy weight like a chsiel if it fits and just walk along the pipe lifting it up and allowing the chisel to fall down and forward as you go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭monseiur

Firstly 60m. is a fair distance for a '' light cable'' It all depends on what you're powering with it of course, but bear in mind that there will be considerable volt droppage over this distance. The cable will more than likely over heat and you will have MCB's & ELCB's etc. tripping constantly and the obvious danger of fire.
    If it's a permanent supply I would strongly advice you to forget the water pipe and light cable and use the correct size SWA cable instead. It's a special cable for use underground and you don't need to put it in a pipe or duct. It will work out slightly dearer but you will save in the long run. You will have to bury it the required depth underground and run a marking tape 300mm approx. over it. The tape is to alert future excavators of the cable below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

It's cat5 cable for a camera system I'm setting up. House is about 60 yds from yard and I'm bringing the broadband to the yard and will wire the cameras from there. It will also be handy to have the broadband at the yard.some good ideas there guys. I like the one with the fishing line. I might try that. Also as extra protection I will use outdoor cat5 cable. And if it gets tricky I can always make the run two 30s and join.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Is yard on same power supply as house. Homeplugs much better job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

PureBred wrote: »
    Is yard on same power supply as house. Homeplugs much better job!

It's not. Anyway what's homeplugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

It's not. Anyway what's homeplugs?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=powerline+adapter&sprefix=powerline%2Caps%2C209

Pity they are not on the same power supply. This would save you some amount of work..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Similar to exhaust method, use a compressor and builders line.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

blue5000 wrote: »

Used your method before. Thanks for the tip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

You can buy corrugated conduit with a fish line in it and use the fish line to pull a bigger rope through it . You can lubricate the wire so it goes through handier and I think there is a product that is not oil based so will not harm the insulation . Do not let anyone sees you putting a pipe to the exhaust of the jeep or you will be spending Christmas in a big house surrounded by nurses .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

blue5000 wrote: »

Or vacumn with a shoping bag at the other end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

keep going wrote: »
    Or vacumn with a shoping bag at the other end

Ya I've used this method. Vacuum a piece of string with a tiny bit of plastic on the end. Used string to pull a decent rope through and then used that to pull the cable.

Check out the cable pulling knot here
    http://sourcery.blogspot.ie/2007/07/how-to-pull-cables-with-string.html

Just using electrical tape does not work.:eek:

Advertisement