Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The future of clamping?

• 24-06-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

After reading, some, of this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056676043

Got me thinking, what could end up replacing clamping? (If it ever does get replaced).

The right for the Private Operator (now known as PO) to have car removed, via tow truck, to a pound? This will increase charges to include towing, storage, admin and anything else they can make up.

Issuing a parking fine, say €60, failure to pay means the PO goes to court to retrieve the owners details and then follows up with legal action, Fine may be doubled, but legal fees will be passed to the owner. Th would be very expensive, maybe into the thousands.

Any other ideas?

I think most would agree that people have the right to keep their private land clear for their customers. We all are in that position where ever we work. Imagine getting to work and not being able to park due to people using your company car park so they could do business elsewhere? Or your customers not being able to park, they will go else where.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

National parking register. You sign up to it (bit like toll tag) and if you get a ticket you get say 14 days to contest it, otherwise the fine gets taken from the account. If you aren't on the register, you can get clamped.

Regulation, clamper training etc mandatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Barrier system where you pay before you leave.

Side of the road? No Parking areas? In front of gates? In clearways? Private estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Issuing a parking fine, say €60, failure to pay means the PO goes to court to retrieve the owners details and then follows up with legal action, Fine may be doubled, but legal fees will be passed to the owner. Th would be very expensive, maybe into the thousands.

As much as possible needs to be done to keep existing small offences out of the courts, not adding more. The courts system is already a mess.

Wexfordian wrote: »

Side of the road? No Parking areas? In front of gates? In clearways? Private estates?
    The op asked about private car parks not the side of the road which would come under the power of county or town council parking wardens who can issue fines so no need for clamping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The op asked about private car parks not the side of the road

He just said private operators. that could be anyone that owns anything from a single private car space to a company with a 10 storey car park.

The op asked about private car parks not the side of the road

He asked about the future of clamping? And even at the end he only referred to private land, not just private car parks.

Ya know what i dont actually care o) forget i said anything im not takin part in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

OK, either private operators or council. We all know that clamping does not work, it only leaves the clamped in a parking space or causing an obstruction until they decide to pay the release fee.

I only mentioned PO going to court to get details, because under data protection this would be the only way they could, councils have that data base from the "motor fund licence tax take more money from you disc in your windscreen".

Lets not get to hung up on the where's, how's and why's, but this would be anywhere you can and could be clamped, Private, public or alien!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Firstly those involved in it need to be vetted, currently if your putting an alarm in a house you need Garda vetting the same as if you were a bouncer or security guard. Currently anyone can start a clamping company and begin imprisoning cars and demanding any fee they wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Consideration on both parties, putting on my hazzards doesn't mean I can leave (as opposed to park) my car anywhere I wish, private car parks; proper legislation as to terms and conditions etc.

Just because I'm going to the bank/shop/couldn't care less for five minutes doesn't mean I can abandon my car. Equally if I've paid for an hour of parking and (for waht ever reason) I'm delayed; make the punishment equal the crime.

If I'm obstructing traffic be it a clearway or double yellow lines etc, lift the car; don't clamp!!! there. We have to accept that out of state licence holders might 'get away' with fines but that doesn't mean that the rest of us pay above and beyond, so clamping mightn't work in certain locations.

I have to admit that as an owner of a 'private space', some prohibition is needed to prevent the pricks who couldn't care less if there was any punishment (fines etc), from parking there. I have neighbours (sic) who must use 'hot beds' as they have more cars than bedrooms and so park and not give a damn. I have 'illegally' put in parking posts to protect our two spaces.

I hope the OP includes private spaces in his 'private car park' question, as I would love to know how everyone here would 'protect' them/there's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    I have to admit that as an owner of a 'private space', some prohibition is needed to prevent the pricks who couldn't care less if there was any punishment (fines etc), from parking there. I have neighbours (sic) who must use 'hot beds' as they have more cars than bedrooms and so park and not give a damn. I have 'illegally' put in parking posts to protect our two spaces.

I hope the OP includes private spaces in his 'private car park' question, as I would love to know how everyone here would 'protect' them/there's.

As I pointed out, parking anywhere, public or private. If the space / land belongs to someone, then they should be allowed to keep it for their usage, private, commercial or otherwise.

Maybe I should have asked the question, replacement to clamping?

Personally I do not think clamping works, you park where you shouldn't or not pay for the parking, means that someone who is allowed park there or will pay the premium cannot do so. I would agree that the car should be removed, of course this would need to be regulated. Now would be the time to do it, get the law sorted, get people regulated, fee's set etc and then introduce it. Independant regulation is the only answer.

Advertisement