Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wing mirror clipped, other driver stayed going

• 23-06-2012 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Driving ona narrow country road & the car coming against me clipped my wing mirror but kept going.
    Now the road is narrow but two cars can pass each other provided they keep in. My car was in & I had slowed down to about 15/20mph. Ditch was scraping off the side of it so I know I was well in.
    Other car was doing approx 40/50mph, genuinely couldn't see if they were in near the ditch but obviously not if I got clipped.
    Anyway I slowed down more but couldn't pull in or turn safely so continued on to the next gate to swing around. When it happened I saw their brake lights come on but when I went back they were gone.

So where does this leave me? The mirror will probably need to be replaced, no big deal I'll sort it myself because it will only be about 60 euro.
    I'm fuming though.
    What would ye do in my position?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Even if the other driver stopped, there was very little chance you could prove it was his fault.

However fact that he didn't stop means it's a hit and run, which is quite a serious offence.
    I would turn back and chase him, but I'm not sure if it would be of any help.

Also on narrow roads, some drivers have problems with feeling the width of the car, and therefore they take more space on the road than really needed. There's not much you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

This happenned to me about a year ago too, was on my side of the road taking a corner in my skoda octavia and this gobsheen comes flying along in a new bwm with electric wing mirrors with lights on them on my side of the road, one of these "Hitting the apex" gob****es and our two wing mirrors collide with a huge smash which frightened the hell out of me as i had my window down.

Funny thing was when we pulled over and i gave him a bollocking he ended up with alot of damage to repair as his wing mirror had literally exploded form the impact and my cover was just cracked, didn't look for money just told him to cop on as i could have been a walker/cyclist and take his cheap lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

CiniO wrote: »
    Even if the other driver stopped, there was very little chance you could prove it was his fault.

However fact that he didn't stop means it's a hit and run, which is quite a serious offence.
    I would turn back and chase him, but I'm not sure if it would be of any help.

Also on narrow roads, some drivers have problems with feeling the width of the car, and therefore they take more space on the road than really needed. There's not much you can do about it.
    Thought as much.
    Like I obviously don't have a huge amount of regard for my car to drive in close to ditches that you can hear it scraping but I wouldn't clip someone & drive off. Mirror isn't broken, I assume he/she didn't do damage either.
    Still galls me though.
    Anyone used to travelling that road know not to speed because there could be cattle out, muck on it, pedestrians walking etc.
    I assume it was someone not familiar with the road but drove her on regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Thought as much.
    Like I obviously don't have a huge amount of regard for my car to drive in close to ditches that you can hear it scraping but I wouldn't clip someone & drive off. Mirror isn't broken, I assume he/she didn't do damage either.
    Still galls me though.
    Anyone used to travelling that road know not to speed because there could be cattle out, muck on it, pedestrians walking etc.
    I assume it was someone not familiar with the road but drove her on regardless.

I do over 120km a day nearly everyday on a narrow road in very rural scenic place. Road is nearly empty during winter seasons as there is only few farmers driving on it. But during the summer months, it gets incredibly busy with all the tourists, mostly in rental cars. Those people are used to LHD vehicles, and probably as some of them are yanks, they are used to automatic gearbox, while they get manual rental cars.
    Those facts make this road absolute nightmare to drive. In general it's marked with broken white line in the middle leaving about 1.8m to 2.5m for each direction lane. That's really not a lot, especially on those narrower parts, and plenty of those tourists drive centrally in the middle on that road, even on blind corners. Only way to avoid crashing is to slow down a lot before blind corners, and on straight stratches if you see anyone just observe his position on the road, and if it's worrying, then you have to slow down, stop, or move outside the road towards the ditch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

happened to me before except we both stopped. the other guy phoned the guards. they told him over the phone to sort it out between us, either pay for our own damage or pay for each others..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Driving ona narrow country road & the car coming against me clipped my wing mirror but kept going.
    Now the road is narrow but two cars can pass each other provided they keep in. My car was in & I had slowed down to about 15/20mph. Ditch was scraping off the side of it so I know I was well in.
    Other car was doing approx 40/50mph, genuinely couldn't see if they were in near the ditch but obviously not if I got clipped.
    Anyway I slowed down more but couldn't pull in or turn safely so continued on to the next gate to swing around. When it happened I saw their brake lights come on but when I went back they were gone.

So where does this leave me? The mirror will probably need to be replaced, no big deal I'll sort it myself because it will only be about 60 euro.
    I'm fuming though.

Did you get the reg? Did you know the person driving the other car?
    Is the mirror broken off?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,956 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Any chance they thought you'd continued on? so just went on themselves

Sounds like you might have continued on to a point you lost sight of them, how long did it take you to turn and go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

sean1141 wrote: »
    happened to me before except we both stopped. the other guy phoned the guards. they told him over the phone to sort it out between us, either pay for our own damage or pay for each others..

Happened me few weeks ago, My mirror was fine just a scratch on the panel but the other drivers two bottom clips on his panel snapped and the flasher unit got cracked. Insurance wouldn't fight it for me as the obstruction was on my side. Gonna cost me about €100-150 to get fixed for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

hondasam wrote: »

I'm fuming though.

Did you get the reg? Did you know the person driving the other car?
    Is the mirror broken off?
    No couldn't get the reg & don't know who was driving. It was close to home & I didnt recognise the car or driver...pure culchie knowing everyone by their car!
    Mirror isn't broken off but kinda loose in the wing mirror, I gave a half hearted attempt to pop it back in & it's still kinda wobbly.
    Just thick over it really. I'm sick to the back teeth of people tipping into the car, nudging it when reversing, scratching it in car parks etc.
    Sure it could have been worse. If nothing else it probably made the other wanker slow down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

sounds like you need a trip to the Scrappie for a replacement, shouldn't be too dear. Otherwise its a case of Put It Down To Experiance.

Sorry for your trouble, its maddening I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Isnt it usually a case that when two moving vehicles collide on a narrow road like this the insurance will almost always apportion 50/50 blame?

OP Im not really sure what you can do. Obviously its a terrible thing to happen and Id be fuming if it happened to me, but in fairness had you managed to get hold of the person and assuming they didnt admit fault then Im really not sure how you could prove anything such as their road position, speed etc. Its just one of the risks of driving down those poxy little roads that were never designed for cars in the first place unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

No couldn't get the reg & don't know who was driving.

Not a lot you can do then bar have a rant about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

On a little bohreen of a road with grass growing in the middle it's 50/50. Same thing happened to me pulled in on grass verge and drove slow when I met a merc. This fecker decided even though I was nearly off the road he/she wanted the whole road and nxt I heard an unmerciful bang.

My mirror folded in seen broken glass and to be honest I thought 50/50. I just drove on I wasn't getting envolved in a shouting match on side of the road 15 euro to replace the glass .

Advertisement