Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is this car worth taking a chance on

Options
  • 23-06-2012 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

I have been on the lookout for a BMW and this morning i came across a nice black bmw 320d se E90 2005, 18" wheels , leather interior.. 99k miles FSH, in excellent condition but would need front bumper repaired.
    Other more major Problem is the sump was ripped out in an accident and car not turning over, just clicking,
    Trade Seller says he has seen them in some cases being freed out and all was ok but its a chance i could have to put an engine into it.
    Its a uk car, its in belfast, its recorded on hpi and very best price is 2650 sterling.

what you thinks guys

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 81,120 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

FSH ain't much use if the sump was ripped out and it's not ticking over. Have you priced a replacement engine?

If you could get the engine replaced, bumper repaired, vrt paid and still be around 50% cheaper than a similar spec Irish model it would be worth the gamble, otherwise I would avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

The vrt is about €1500, new engine €1300, plus fitting about €450-500. bumper repair €300 id say

maybe wise to give it a miss as maybe not worth the hassle

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wise choice IMO.
    The impact must have been fairly bad and also given the mileage, its probably going to need bushings etc replaced.
    The fact that you can't start it or take it for a spin means you have no idea what is there

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

As said, it's just not worth the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's not worth it.

3k eu car
    3k+ eu repairs ( I won't be surprised if it will need more stuff done )
    Traveling+other expenses involved with whole process

You are looking at the 6.5k eu+++ damaged/repaired BMW which will have feck all resale value.

Just go and buy one for a bit more here and have zero work/stress/hassle involved

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I am of the opinion that if a car like that could be repaired at a reasonable price, especially since it is in the hands of the trade who could probably get it repaired cheaper than joe public, then it would have been repaired and sold at a higher price already.

.... most definitely, seems as there's a new sump on it especially, dunno what if means by he's seen them freed up, indicates twas ran to failure after the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

RoverJames wrote: »
    .... most definitely, seems as there's a new sump on it especially, dunno what if means by he's seen them freed up, indicates twas ran to failure after the incident.

Yep, there are some clowns out there. A cousin of mine recently took a roundabout too quickly in her MINI Cooper and ended up on the traffic island, got had a quick look, seen only damage to the front bumper, drove with the dashboard lit up like Christmas until she got home. There must have been a trail of oil the whole way home as there wasn't a drop of oil left in the engine and a big hole in the sump. Car was a write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Dealer would do it if it was economical...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

i wouldnt take that, as lads said earlier on, it could be not only engine problem , suspension could be knackered also, also garage would fix themselves , if it would be worth it.
    also if youd get used engine in it, there is no guaranties it will be in good condition. Too much spend and a lot of risk spend even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

this guy would also buy salvage cars direct from the insurance company.
    was hoping i would not have to put an engine in it but its too big a risk..
    the deaker said it was near the breaking price of the car but not sure there are many breakers giving 2500 plus for these E90's.
    but as stated above if i did have to put an engine in it would work out an expensive car and could have other trouble too like turbo etc.
    there is actually one on donedeal at present needing an engine priced at €4450, its UK reg too

I'm not going to bother with this one so thanks all,for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yep, there are some clowns out there. A cousin of mine recently took a roundabout too quickly in her MINI Cooper and ended up on the traffic island, got had a quick look, seen only damage to the front bumper, drove with the dashboard lit up like Christmas until she got home. There must have been a trail of oil the whole way home as there wasn't a drop of oil left in the engine and a big hole in the sump. Car was a write off.

I remember seeign a woman a few years back smack her sump on a kerb and head off up the road with a trail of oil behind her. It was a fairly new Merc iirc. She never bothered getting out for a look. Theres no way she got far without the oil light coming on but probably just ignored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

No car is worth taking a risk on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 spannerboy

Lots of good advice here , it all says forget it , move on and find a better one. Good luck

Advertisement