Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Storyland 4

Comments

Seems that someones ripped off remade Abduction for an Irish audience.

Abduction: A thriller centered on a young man who sets out to uncover the truth about his life after finding his baby photo on a missing persons website.

You for real Darko? You think that the abduction storyline is original? and it was only out last year, cuckoo script was probably well under way by then!!

Cuckoo looks class!!

Really impressed with alot of the entrants good job and good luck!!

The central idea of Abduction is an original enough spin on a tired genre. It's about the only interesting part of the film as every other aspect is severely lacking. The similarities between Abduction's set up and basic story and Cuckoo are hard to over look, hell the plot synopsis for both is identical bar the sex of the main character and while Abduction was only released last year it was being talked about in the film magazines/websites for a year and a half before that.

A few people have commented on the similarities when we've discussed this years story land and while the makers may never have heard of Abduction the synopsis released is far too similar for anyone not to wonder if they robbed the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Not too surprising really - sure last year's winner was another rerunning of the tired old 'man wakes up and owes money to gangster in Ireland' story which Perrier's Bounty had done just the year before.

Although I've yet to meet anyone who ever owed a gambling debt in Ireland to a gangster it seems to be a storyline that people insist on robbing from American low-rent crime films. In America it works a bit better because gambling is illegal in many states. Here it just makes me think - why did he borrow all that money from a gangster when Paddy Power take credit cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bulletbreaker

The central idea of Abduction is an original enough spin on a tired genre. It's about the only interesting part of the film as every other aspect is severely lacking. The similarities between Abduction's set up and basic story and Cuckoo are hard to over look, hell the plot synopsis for both is identical bar the sex of the main character and while Abduction was only released last year it was being talked about in the film magazines/websites for a year and a half before that.

A few people have commented on the similarities when we've discussed this years story land and while the makers may never have heard of Abduction the synopsis released is far too similar for anyone not to wonder if they robbed the idea.

Truly authentic scripts can be few and far between at times but there's a huge difference between 'robbing' an idea and thinking that something might suit an Irish audience/format. You can look at most of the entrants and come up with ' it's a bit like this or the story is similar to that' but it doesn't mean that they consciously adapted a script. So many great pieces of work could have possibly spun from other great pieces of work. All I'm saying is that thrashing someones work and making false claims that they stole an idea seems a bit harsh, imo!!

Truly authentic scripts can be few and far between at times but there's a huge difference between 'robbing' an idea and thinking that something might suit an Irish audience/format. You can look at most of the entrants and come up with ' it's a bit like this or the story is similar to that' but it doesn't mean that they consciously adapted a script. So many great pieces of work could have possibly spun from other great pieces of work. All I'm saying is that thrashing someones work and making false claims that they stole an idea seems a bit harsh, imo!!

Never trashed their idea but the similarities between both are too obvious to over look.when it happens in Hollywood everyone is only too happy to sharpen the knives and tear it apart but when it's over here it's always a case of "he was only inspired by it" or "ara sure it'll be unique as its set in Ireland". The central idea is identical and whole it's a universal theme people are going to watch Cuckoo and be reminded of just how similar the idea is.

And it's not just me, plenty of people I know involved in the industry have commented upon it. Most just let it go as story land us nothing more than the "same rehashed ideas year in year out". Watch as anyone with a bit of originality is voted out early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bulletbreaker

Well I hope when you see it tomorrow you are taken in by the story. Seems like a good production as are all of the other entrants. Looking forward to watching them all. Good Luck everyone!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm looking forward to seeing the full episodes tomorrow. While obviously I'm biased as to which is my favourite, there are a couple of others I think will be very good. I also have at least one friend involved with each and every entry so it will b very interesting indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 homerbert

Hi Guys,

The entries are up for everyone to make up their own minds on.

http://www.rte.ie/drama/featured/storyland

In my totally unbiased opinion, you should all be voting for Trouble Times Three :p

http://www.rte.ie/drama/featured/storyland/troubletimesthree.html

Thanks,
    Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I have seen so much about Hysteria on this thread I have already decided....

It looks like a rubbish lost type piece of muck and is my least favourite...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Really sad that a lot of these are let down by bad/hammy acting and even worse editing.
    Hysteria and Vidileaks are the only half competent ones imo

There's a few I'd like to see more of, but a couple I could care less about. The overall quality is pretty good IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 madmanmoro

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Really sad that a lot of these are let down by bad/hammy acting and even worse editing.
    Hysteria and Vidileaks are the only half competent ones imo

your dead right but theres not much more to be expected from storyland tbh

Cuckoo would have been the only one that was professional looking shot on the F3, with a pro gaffer and a lighting package from cine (while everything else was DSLR ? correct me if im wrong)

The budgets are never done properly and id be surprised to find one of the eight productions without some small form of embezzlement happening. (ie the 'Producers' having a nice big day rate while the crew gets f*** all)

And frankly I thought the Vidileaks one was very insulting to those who died and those who value this countries independence. I couldnt believe what i was seeing.

Surely im not the only one who thinks this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Some amount of vote whoring going on on fb - I see one crowd are offering a prize if they spread the poster around on fb and vote for it. Ughhhh...

Renn wrote: »
    Some amount of vote whoring going on on fb - I see one crowd are offering a prize if they spread the poster around on fb and vote for it. Ughhhh...

I got a message telling me to vote for Student Teacher. I asked why and the answer was "It's made in Galway by some Galway lads".

Have to say that I found this years selection rather poor, there are some good ideas but the acting is for the most part atrocious and when watching Cuckoo the audio seemed to be out of synch for parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It's a ridiculous and unfair way to do this type of thing. All you do is cheapen genuine effort if not talent.

madmanmoro wrote: »
    Cuckoo would have been the only one that was professional looking shot on the F3, with a pro gaffer and a lighting package from cine (while everything else was DSLR ? correct me if im wrong)

Considering the budget for each episode is 8 grand or so then there's no way that anyone can produce an episode while paying full rates to everyone involved. Everything on Storyland is done on favours and promises with a small amount of cash thrown around for everything else.
    The budgets are never done properly and id be surprised to find one of the eight productions without some small form of embezzlement happening. (ie the 'Producers' having a nice big day rate while the crew gets f*** all)

I'd say you're talking through your hoop here. What 'nice big day rate' are you talking about? Have you any idea what it costs to make television at all? 8 grand for 6 minutes is nothing and I would go out on a limb and say there's feck all of the writing/directing/producing teams that are making a penny off their Storyland episodes.

Not sure why you've gone and attributed those comments to me.

To be fair that's not the production teams fault but rather RTE's.

RTE have turned it into a vote-whoring exercise and you can't blame people for doing their best to market their series.

The public voting system nonsense lowers the bar for everything it gets involved with. All that 'X-Factor Britain's Got Ireland's Get Me Outta the Voice on Ice' type sh*te - you can hardly blame the teams taking part in it for the whole ethos of the scheme.

Not sure why you've gone and attributed those comments to me.

Something weird happened with the quote thing. Fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Unfortunately that's the way it's gone - it's all about vote whoring and no longer about the shows themselves! I mean Student Teacher is populated wiht half the stand up comedy scene in Ireland so they have a HUGE advantage...that's not to say it's not good.....it IS! (In a "rob sneider is a teacher...." sort of way)

I have to say (I admit I am biased because one of my mates is a part of it!) but I really do like Hysteria, interesting and fun story! and it's very well done!
    I got a message telling me to vote for Student Teacher. I asked why and the answer was "It's made in Galway by some Galway lads".

Funny that - when half the cast are Dubliners - as are the writers! :p

I'm pretty sure none of the writers of student teacher are from dublin. Actually there's only one writer isn't there? And he's from Galway I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

Hi there,

I'm the producer for Student Teacher, some Boards people might have seen me do the Christmas Santa Strikeforce gig for a couple of years, if you can remember any jokes about Batman and Tetris heard through a beer soaked haze.

I wish I had known in advance it was possible to embezzle some money. I personally have yet to be paid anything from our production, in fact currently I've covered transport costs for the cast and printing costs (= $$$) which I doubt I'll get back. That's not a complaint, you are pretty much told that's probably going to happen going into the competition.

We have paid our cast and crew though, which I think is important.

As for what grames_bond said about the show...the writer, Giles Brody, is from Galway, as was the crew and extras. Some of the actors are from other counties though, Lawless is from Mayo, Kevin McGahern is from Cavan, Ed Sammon is from Offaly and Carol Tobin is from...Tipperary? I think. Conor is the only stand-up from Dublin as far as I can tell. I'm not even Irish.

But you knew this already Graham. So, cheers for the comments.

Anyway, it's been an interesting experience and if anybody ever has any questions about it, just in case they want to apply for a future Storyland feel free to get in contact with me, I am a nerd for talking about the creative process.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

As for what grames_bond said about the show...the writer, Giles Brody, is from Galway, as was the crew and extras. Some of the actors are from other counties though, Lawless is from Mayo, Kevin McGahern is from Cavan, Ed Sammon is from Offaly and Carol Tobin is from...Tipperary? I think. Conor is the only stand-up from Dublin as far as I can tell. I'm not even Irish.

But you knew this already Graham. So, cheers for the comments.

Haha f*cking fail on my part -apologies for that! I think I was just making the point that its wrong that people should be asked to vote because "it's a show made in Galway by Galway people" when there is more than that gone into the show! And it should be more than that to the voting process - sorry if any offence was caused!

We have paid our cast and crew though, which I think is important

That is the most important thing and fair play for that - certain other shows were trying to "wait until we get through to the third show before we give wages - it'll pay off I'm the long run"

Just unfair and wrong!

certain other shows were trying to "wait until we get through to the third show before we give wages - it'll pay off I'm the long run"

Just unfair and wrong!

As far as I'm aware none of the shows that got commissioned are towing that line (I'm open to correction on this).
    But yeah, accusations of embezzlement on here are way wide of the mark and display an ignorance of how much it actually costs to make a TV show/film IMO.

What about the voting system - agree with that? Don't see how it's a good thing if people are whoring themselves out for votes every two minutes.

What about the voting system - agree with that? Don't see how it's a good thing if people are whoring themselves out for votes every two minutes.

I'd much rather if it wasn't. It's more a case of who can get the most 'bums on seats' rather than who makes the best show. Happens every year unfortunately. As long as the winners/losers are determined by 'popular vote' it's always gonna be like that.
    And reading this post you're probably thinking, "So why do you do it then?". Because, like everybody who has a show in the competition I would imagine, I want to make more. For us it's work. Sadly we have to whore ourselves out to succeed. It would be nice to be able to sit back, relax and know that the quality of one's show would be enough to see it out into the next round, but that would be naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

well id imagine its a case of once someone starts doing it, everybody else has to follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

people should be asked to vote because "it's a show made in Galway by Galway people"

I think people will tend to vote however they want to vote, whether that reason is quality, regional or because they find the theme of a story interesting. People do have a tendency to check out what's made in their area though. If you look through the local papers around the country, they're filled with everyone reaching out for that local connection, it happens in productions, in technology, in business. People do find it interesting.

I would think however you know me well enough by now Graham to know I don't believe someone should vote for something just because they're from somewhere, seeing that I'm not from anywhere.

In any case, the same way The Guard is an Irish movie even though Don Cheadle and Mark Strong are in it and it was partially funded by the UK Film Council, Student Teacher is a Galway production. The production company, the other producer, the writer/director, a lot of the cast and all the crew are from Galway and it was wholly filmed there.

We're very privileged to have had people everywhere show their support though.
    What about the voting system
    Storyland is not just about making a show, but about making a show that's marketable. I believe the idea is that if you get more votes it means you've reached more people, otherwise they'd just make a jury and have them vote for it.

The talent in Ireland is high (and that's reflected in this and previous years Storylands) but we don't have the luxury of HBO, who can make things that aren't popular. So they aim for (hopefully) quality AND popularity.

It is a bit Darwinian, admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Frank Funk

Storyland is a failure. This "drama talent search" been going four years and has yet to throw up an original idea or, god forbid, develop new script writing.

As every year, the comedies are competent enough if a bit light on laughs and leading the board, the dramas are all dull rip offs of recent films/tv shows.

Despite weeks of advertising on TV this time, (so that more than just the friends and family know it exists) the episodes have been up since monday and average at about 2,000 views each. The 3rd ep of that Talifornia Swipe thing (not a fan but fair play for seeing a gap to exploit) has been up the same length of time and has 150,000. It also didn't cost 60,000 of license payer's money.

I was at the open day for the first story land years ago and it was clear from the off that they hadn't a clue what they were doing. They had two women from marketing talking about how to spam your family members.

Easy to cheat internet polls are not how to make commissioning decisions. Maybe the marketing dept get some data for their next powerpoint but the quality of the actual episodes doesn't come into it. Most people I asked thought that the Masterplan was the best of last year's lot but it was quickly voted out.

It's a pity to see entries forced to run Facebook spam campaigns but that's what RTE wants. The productions put a lot of work/sweat into rushing these things into place and want to keep going. RTE justs wasn't some cynical way of paying lip service to new talent. Storyland is certainly not about making good TV.

Aside from Talk it Out and Student Teacher, the writing this year is very poor, an afterthought at best.

RTE should looks at what BBC and Channel 4 have done for decades and READ scripts and develop scriptwriters if they want to one day make a show that's any good. Leave the film board to teach director / DP types how to make things look pretty through their myriad short film schemes, good TV has always been about good writing.

From what I can see RTE for the most part just pick off directors and writers from Storyland.

Beyond the Hardy Bucks nothing else has been commissioned as a series has it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Frank Funk

Directors and producers anyway, they can probably get them to work for cheaper than established ones.

Have any writers been spotted from storyland? How many RTE shows even have writers outside of the soaps? (fair city, raw, whathaveyou)

Advertisement