Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fibromyalgia

Options
  • 17-09-2014 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Can anybody give me any advice to help me with my 14 yr old daughter who appears to have fibromyalgia?
    She has a lot of pain, only attending school part-time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

Can anybody give me any advice to help me with my 14 yr old daughter who appears to have fibromyalgia?
    She has a lot of pain, only attending school part-time.
    Exercise is often recommended for Fibromyalgia. But it is far from a panacea and many people can't tolerate it well esp. if they have Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), which is often co-morbid with Fibromyalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I'd agree with the exercise advice also, but it's not for everyone as we all have varying degrees of pain. Have you also tried having a look at diet? Eliminating gluten has helped some people as well as reducing carbs.

Unfortunately Fibro is a medical mystery and what works for some people doesn't work for others. It's all a question of finding what works for your daughter.

Have you got an appointment with a Rheumatologist to get a diagnosis and rule out other possibilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fluffy Unicorn

Haven't seen Rheumatologist yet.

So far doctors have only offered anti-depressants for their side effect of muscle pain relief, NOT because of depression, how bizarre is that?? Refused anti-depressants but no other pain relief given.

Have been down alternative complementary route, acupuncture, reflexology, bio-energy healing, herbal remedies etc etc.

Am reluctant to change her diet as at 14 she needs broad range of food, diet is pretty good. On Vitamin D3, Krill oil, magnesium supplements.

I feel exercise would be beneficial but she's very sore

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The benefits of gluten free are anecdotal, but it is possible to go gluten free without any radical change of the overall diet, if you felt it was worth trying.

Swimming can be quite good. If just to get moving with no pressure on the joints. Stream room can also help with joint stiffness and pain.

Try and set up a regular schedule of exercise as planning can help to combat fatigue, I.e taking a nap earlier, or going swimming earlier in the day. Maybe go with a friend/mum as a motivation.

• Advertisement

Anti depressants can be beneficial for Fibro. Depression and anxiety are common symptoms. It has also been shown the Fibro patients don't produce enough serotonin in their brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

kangaroo wrote: »
    Exercise is often recommended for Fibromyalgia. But it is far from a panacea and many people can't tolerate it well esp. if they have Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), which is often co-morbid with Fibromyalgia.
    I think I might not have been clear enough: I was trying to say that exercise might be recommended, but one should be cautious about claims about it and its use.

[In my own case, my ME/CFS illness was more Fibromyalgia-like for the first few years (teens and early 20s): I wasn't that tired but had lots of muscle/tendon/ligament problems and had over 100 physio appointments who were always trying to convince me to exercise which I tried to do religiously 3-4 times a week as best I could (mainly in a swimming pool - if I had a problem with a particular muscle I'd do strokes using other muscles). However, after a setback and my symptoms worsening, exercising then made me a lot worse and unfortunately I got stuck bad. Doesn't happen to everyone but I don't like to see it happening to others so like to mention it]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Maybe this is worth considering:
    Diagnosis: Fibromyalgia….says your doctor. But did you know there’s much more to this story than your doctor has been taught or explains?

Fibromyalgia (FMS) is the official clinical label to describe chronic musculoskeletal pain or tenderness--i.e. in your joints, tendons, muscles or other soft tissues. You might feel the pain no matter what you are doing, or experience it with pressure on a particular area of your body. There are at least 18 identified “tender points” associated with fibromyalgia. All the latter discomfort is all too real. Depression, anxiety and even headaches can accompany the syndrome of Fibromyalgia for some, as well.

But what’s not real is to assume this is a “disease” all it’s own, i.e. not related to hypothyroidism. It may very well be! Quoting from Dr. John S. Lowe: in most cases, fibromyalgia is the result of “hypometabolism of select tissues”, i.e. “the clinical manifestation of inadequate thyroid hormones due to thyroid hormone deficiency and/or resistance.” (page 75, The Metabolic Treatment of Fibromyalgia, 2000)

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/fibromyalgia/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Haven't seen Rheumatologist yet.

So far doctors have only offered anti-depressants for their side effect of muscle pain relief, NOT because of depression, how bizarre is that?? Refused anti-depressants but no other pain relief given.

It's not bizarre at all.

Anti depressants seem to still have a bad name in this country but some of them are used for other purposes

Is it amitriptyline your referring too? It used to be used as an anti depressant but it is now used in low doses in cases of fibromyalgia and RA. It's a very effective pain killer. I took it for a short period for sciatica caused by arthrits and a friend of mine takes it for fibromyalgia.

Yes I believe amitriptyline was being offered. What is a safe/low dose, any side effects? will it be a long term thing, remember my daughter is only 14

• Advertisement

It may be worth a try. That's a decision for you and your daughter to make. Doctors generally start with the lowest therapeutic dose and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Yes I believe amitriptyline was being offered. What is a safe/low dose, any side effects? will it be a long term thing, remember my daughter is only 14

I'm not a doctor so I can only tell you my experience.

The only side effect I had was sleeping very heavy and it being a bit harder to get up in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I slept like a baby any time I was put on it. My moods were always a mess though on it :/

I slept like a baby any time I was put on it. My moods were always a mess though on it :/

Thats what I'm afraid of, especially if treatment is longterm

Irishchick wrote: »
    I'm not a doctor so I can only tell you my experience.

The only side effect I had was sleeping very heavy and it being a bit harder to get up in the morning.

Did you function ok when you got up and going? did you appear any different to your friends eg heavy eyes, never excited or sad just same regardless of conversations, situations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Angel Knightess

Personally I didn't find amitriptyline to be of any help with pain or sleep. I agree that exercise is helpful but only if you take it easy. Walking is ideal. A little light jogging on the spot can be good when your muscles are adequately warmed up.
    Slightly changing your diet can also help. I found the candida diet where you cut out/down your intake of sugar and yeast for a while to be quite helpful. Trying to keep a steady temperature at home is vital as changes in temperature/weather can drive the symptoms of fibromyalgia mad. Sleep is vital. The less sleep you get, the worse the flare up or symptoms will be. Fresh air, video games (rpgs and certain other games can make you super sleepy but never puzzles), a good book, basically anything you can distract yourself with to help you off to sleep.

Being a fibromyalgia sufferer for over thirteen years, I have found that its the nature of the pains, (burning, tingling, darts, throbbing), as well as their suddenness that causes me so much anxiety, which in turn fuel the pains. Then there's the stiffness, dry mouth and general feeling of unwellness as well as other things that can make up the symptoms of fibromyalgia that frankly can do your head in. Tell your daughter that its okay to come and tell you when she's feeling down/pain, as its likely she might be worrying and frustrated at the whole thing and less likely to share. Keeping a diary, not just to write any symptoms but pretty much anything is helpful. If your daughter is worried about school and the future, she shouldn't be. My fibromyalgia made attending school impossible so I didn't do too well and unfortunately it took years before any doctor took me seriously and I got diagnosed, but I'm attending college part-time now.

I am on my last nerve with Fibro lately.
    My pain levels during the nlight are very severe, constantly interupting my sleep. I feel like a pinball machine, in that I light up with pain all over constantly .

Im so tired today. The Lyrica is good for helping sleep, but I feel like Ive been ran over by a very large full truck today.

Im in a brain fog as well.

Just feel is getting really worse than ever.
    I feel like bursting into tears,but I doubt I have either any left, or the energy to produce them

Any one else ever get like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Irishchick wrote: »
    It's not bizarre at all.

Anti depressants seem to still have a bad name in this country but some of them are used for other purposes

Is it amitriptyline your referring too? It used to be used as an anti depressant but it is now used in low doses in cases of fibromyalgia and RA. It's a very effective pain killer. I took it for a short period for sciatica caused by arthrits and a friend of mine takes it for fibromyalgia.

I was surprised to be given this in the aftermath of a shattered wrist.
    I hate anti ds and after one 24 hour period of rip van winkle side effects stopped taking it ..but yes it is widely prescribed for other thing than depression

Jake1 wrote: »
    I am on my last nerve with Fibro lately.
    My pain levels during the nlight are very severe, constantly interupting my sleep. I feel like a pinball machine, in that I light up with pain all over constantly .

Im so tired today. The Lyrica is good for helping sleep, but I feel like Ive been ran over by a very large full truck today.

Im in a brain fog as well.

Just feel is getting really worse than ever.
    I feel like bursting into tears,but I doubt I have either any left, or the energy to produce them

Any one else ever get like this?

Yep. Add to M.E the Raynauds and arthritis.. at screaming pitch at night..would not take Lyrica and could the tiredness be partly side effects? The only thing
    that works is Tylex at night and yes that helps sleep mightily I can cope knowing I can take that.
    I am a stubborn old wan and refuse to give up the work i do and it helps to be doing for others
    PS I get SAD and this is the very nadir of the year so that too is part of it

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yep. Add to M.E the Raynauds and arthritis.. at screaming pitch at night..would not take Lyrica and could the tiredness be partly side effects? The only thing
    that works is Tylex at night and yes that helps sleep mightily I can cope knowing I can take that.
    I am a stubborn old wan and refuse to give up the work i do and it helps to be doing for others
    PS I get SAD and this is the very nadir of the year so that too is part of it

Cheers Grace. :)

I take Tylex too but they can be addictiv, and I try to take them from time to time, as opposed to every day.You're right aout the Lyrica, tiredness is a side effect. all riht. I felt stoned all of yesterday

Wish I had your strenght and your back bone Grace :)

• Advertisement

Jake1 wrote: »
    Cheers Grace. :)

I take Tylex too but they can be addictiv, and I try to take them from time to time, as opposed to every day.You're right aout the Lyrica, tiredness is a side effect. all riht. I felt stoned all of yesterday

Wish I had your strenght and your back bone Grace :)

Yeah I know re addiction but at 71 years old who cares! I was given Tramadol and that is still in the cabinet as I will not touch that...I am not using more tylex than I used to o that is fine and I do not take it if I am driving etc

Tylex works and gives me respite and lets me sleep. I take aspirin or brufen during the day... alternating pain killers make them more effective

I lost literally decades to misdiagnosis and medical abuse and am determined not to lose any more. And I know that dumbing down emotions means that you dont develop strength. Sure I get down and fearful but I ride it and it passes and the next time it is easier to do that. Some nights I am in sheer hell but then I get up, make a hot drink, read and knit a while. It is all a part of this illness.

For me, being truly needed has helped hugely. Being able to help others even from my bed. My family who I will probably never see again in this life love me. And need me. These are my golden years.

Old saying.. there are always two men in my bedroom.... Arthur Itis and Will Power

Long weekend trading ahead and it will be hard work but! Somehow will get through it and no one will ever know how hard it is. All smiles! As we should be for others. Out at Dingle! Then Tralee..

It will get easier after the shortest day I promise. Hang on in there! Treat yourself to something you really love

Blessings and peace this night

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Arataki

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a few months ago. At first I found that Lyrica was a big help pain-wise but not so much now. I agree that Tylex is a big help in conjunction with it though. I was also put on Amitriptyline which stopped the migraines(until my current does of Lyrica triggered them again) and has me sleeping like a baby every night. I don't have any side effects from that but the Lyrica does make me incredibly tired. On top of the fatigue. I have heard good things about Cymbalta as an alternative to Lyrica though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Not diagnosed am waiting on a referral, am 99% certain this is what I have. Currently my shoulder-blades, one particular place on the inner-edge of my under-arms and this darting pain in breasts are all literally just taking my breath away! Feel like I've been having a heart-attack since I woke up this morning!! :/ My right leg from under the knee-cap down just feels like one gigantic bruise! Back's been playing-up all week, it's hell. My sides and hips are joining in with their own throbbing melody. I think my sides and hips tend to react / or participate when "everything-in-general" is sore lol. That's when they seem to show up for the party when everything else is sore. They must feel a little left-out haha.

When my back first started getting bad earlier in the week when it was snapping and cracking and popping for Ireland and ripping across me lol, the tingling in the front at my tummy was crazy.

It might be a rather odd thing to say but I hate my shoulder-blades! When my shoulder-blades get sore it really makes me depressed 'cos it immobilizes me and stiffens the whole upper half of my body making me freeze up and then my glands, neck, and arms and possibly going down into my sides get / feel the knock-on effect then and all those parts seize up on me! :/ Gahhhhhh stoopid body! At least with back-pain you can kind-of treat it, heat or cold usually helps. But with this shoulder-blades thing, half my body stiffening and seizing up boyyyyyy is it depressing! There isn't really anything I can do to un-freeeze a robotic stance lol. Having to learn strict patience is the only positive thing to take out of it all haha!!

Oops sorry for me rambling on there didn't mean to! What I wanted to ask, was, do people experiencing shoulder-blade pain with this, or neck / glands / under-arm pain, - find that it takes their breath away, makes them short-of-breath / racy etc. Or is this just me?

Not diagnosed am waiting on a referral, am 99% certain this is what I have. Currently my shoulder-blades, one particular place on the inner-edge of my under-arms and this darting pain in breasts are all literally just taking my breath away! Feel like I've been having a heart-attack since I woke up this morning!! :/ My right leg from under the knee-cap down just feels like one gigantic bruise! Back's been playing-up all week, it's hell. My sides and hips are joining in with their own throbbing melody. I think my sides and hips tend to react / or participate when "everything-in-general" is sore lol. That's when they seem to show up for the party when everything else is sore. They must feel a little left-out haha.

When my back first started getting bad earlier in the week when it was snapping and cracking and popping for Ireland and ripping across me lol, the tingling in the front at my tummy was crazy.

It might be a rather odd thing to say but I hate my shoulder-blades! When my shoulder-blades get sore it really makes me depressed 'cos it immobilizes me and stiffens the whole upper half of my body making me freeze up and then my glands, neck, and arms and possibly going down into my sides get / feel the knock-on effect then and all those parts seize up on me! :/ Gahhhhhh stoopid body! At least with back-pain you can kind-of treat it, heat or cold usually helps. But with this shoulder-blades thing, half my body stiffening and seizing up boyyyyyy is it depressing! There isn't really anything I can do to un-freeeze a robotic stance lol. Having to learn strict patience is the only positive thing to take out of it all haha!!

Oops sorry for me rambling on there didn't mean to! What I wanted to ask, was, do people experiencing shoulder-blade pain with this, or neck / glands / under-arm pain, - find that it takes their breath away, makes them short-of-breath / racy etc. Or is this just me?
    Glandular pain is normal for M.E etc and for me is a welcome indication that the illness is in fire mode and to take it easy .. what used to scare me was the chest pain that is ONLY MUsCLE SPASMS.

Arataki wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a few months ago. At first I found that Lyrica was a big help pain-wise but not so much now. I agree that Tylex is a big help in conjunction with it though. I was also put on Amitriptyline which stopped the migraines(until my current does of Lyrica triggered them again) and has me sleeping like a baby every night. I don't have any side effects from that but the Lyrica does make me incredibly tired. On top of the fatigue. I have heard good things about Cymbalta as an alternative to Lyrica though.

The less I take the better I feel about the illness. had years on too many drugs. I prefer to feel the illness than the side effects!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Can anyone tell me how badly the Irish climate affects Fibromyalgia?

That is to say, do people in say, Spain suffer as badly?

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how badly the Irish climate affects Fibromyalgia?

That is to say, do people in say, Spain suffer as badly?

I knew a fellow M.E sufferer who used to spend each winter in Australia as the Irish weather made her worse. Add the damp to the dark and you can see why. Interesting re Spain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 isabelle16

Hi There, just came across your post. I really feel for you and your daughter having to deal with this dreadful condition. I will give you a quick synopsis of my story which may help. Diagnosed as depressed and suffering from anxiety after an incident in work in which i had to hand in my notice. Also, alot of family issues going on at the time. For two years i suffered really bad sleep, low bp, aches and pains, chest pain etc...the list was endless.

After two years of no relief, i referred myself to dr mary Ryan, consultant endocrinologist in Limerick. (My gp was not impressed, but i did not care at this stage). Anyway, she examined me. I had very sore shoulderblades and chest. She commenced me on amitriptyline at night which really helps with the sleep. Also, tested my thyroid level, which was not off the chart, but commenced me on eltroxin. I think the theory behind this is to activate a sluggish thyroid, which helps with the symptoms. Also, made lifestyle change s. Sleep really helps with my memory and energy. I used to work in a stressful office environment, but now know that i cannot do that work anymore. I am in the process of changing careers.

Basically, dr Ryan has done more for me in the last nine months, than my gp in the previous two years. If you have any more questions, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cathalniamh

Hi There
    Please google doctors living in cork who specialise in fibromyalgia,a lady doctor will come up,I have just had a consultation with her and feel positive going forward with her theories that she can get me functioning again,a bit left field but as I have spent last 20 years going down traditional route with no relief I am willing to try anything.i hope your daughter does not have this horrible condition and with correct early intervention she has the happy pain free life we all deserve .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there, thanks for that info. Just wondering what is her theories around this condition? I am currently on eltroxin, as the consultant i am attending believes that it is related to the functioning of the thyroid. Also, lifestylefactors are also a big issue?. Currently trying to wean myself off processed sugar. Went to cinema yesterday with my little girl and has a few pick n mix and felt horrible afterwards???? Sounds bizzarre i know, but diet seems to be an issue with me. Also, need lots of rest and limit stress. I just like to try and keep myself informed of anything that may help. There was two very interesting interviews in the sunday indo yesterday. One model who had ME and maxi who has burnout.

Advertisement