Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Milk or Water?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

No added sugar stills contains sugar. Try sugar free.

I know but i can't get those drinks sugar free , i actually had an appointment with a dietician today and she said it's fine to drink it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Sugar free ginger ale is the nicest sugar free drink in my opinion - nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Aldi do some lovely sugar free drinks like Lilt, Orange, lemon (fizzy).

Also, Tesco do a great American Cream Soda sugar free

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Aldi do some lovely sugar free drinks like Lilt, Orange, lemon (fizzy).

Aldi sugar free lemon is my favourite soft drink

• Advertisement

For some reason I have been seeing more ads about the bad things that Coke does to your system. Now being a type 2 diabetic, I would drink Diet Coke, which is another can of worms altogether.
    Yea, I'd stay the fudge away from the Diet/sugar free stuff if I were you.

ARTIFICIAL sweeteners can cause glucose intolerance in mice, and perhaps in humans, by altering gut bacteria, a series of experiments suggests. Although artificial sweeteners – among the world's most widely used food additives – are approved by most food regulation agencies as safe for humans, the researchers who led the work suggest that their use should be reassessed.

"The most shocking result is that the use of sweeteners aimed at preventing diabetes might actually be contributing to and possibly driving the epidemic that it aims to prevent," says Eran Elinav at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot, Israel, who co-supervised the work with his colleague Eran Segal.
    But can the results in mice be extrapolated to humans?

To explore this, the team asked seven healthy people who don't normally consume sweeteners to eat the FDA's maximum daily allowance of saccharin. For a person weighing 68 kilograms, this would equate to three to four sachets of sweetener taken three times per day.

By day five, four of the seven people had a significant decrease in their glucose tolerance, while three saw no change. Sequencing showed that those who responded to the sweetener started out with different gut bacteria to those who didn't respond. What's more, the gut bacteria of the four responders changed significantly after consuming sweeteners, while the non-responders' barely changed.

To further show that bacterial changes were playing a role, the team took stools from two responders and two non-responders and transplanted them into sterile mice. Only the mice that received gut bacteria from responders became glucose intolerant (Nature, DOI: 10.1038/nature13793).
    Segal says that the global rise in sweetener consumption – along with other major shifts in human nutrition – coincided with the dramatic increase in obesity and diabetes epidemics around the world. He also suggests that sweeteners may have directly contributed to the exact epidemic that they were created to fight.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22329872.600-artificial-sweeteners-linked-to-glucose-intolerance.html?page=1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

My little update. Got bloods done and saw consultant on Monday.

HbA1c is 9.0, a bit on the high side, but honestly I thought it was going to be higher. He has added Levemir injection to my 2 tablets a day as a way to help my fasting blood sugar. Blood pressure was fine, but I have put on a few kilos.

I asked about the pump, but its really only for type 1 people he said.

Back to him in 8 weeks with the determination to get the blood sugar under 7.0 and drop a few kilos.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Can i just put it out that I find there is a world of difference between type 1 and 2. Could we please have two separate treads!?

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Can i just put it out that I find there is a world of difference between type 1 and 2. Could we please have two separate treads!?

They are two completely seperate illnesses/diseases but there are similarities in the issues that arise and plenty of crossover. So much so that you have quite a few people misdiagnosed as type 2 when in fact they are late onset type 1 etc.

I don't see the need in a separate thread as I think both communities have information and help to give each other but that's just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just came across this on youtube. A woman cured of Diabetes:eek:

There is some hope for us after all:)

• Advertisement

Islet planation would be amazing - I have brittle type 1 as well but would have far more bad low blood sugars than that :(

why is that not available for everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Presumably this is only for Type 1 people?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

why is that not available for everyone?

I think queens in Belfast are the only place in Ireland that do it. But, at the moment you do have to take anti-rejection drugs for the duration of the life of the islet cells and as far as I'm aware the success rate is low. However, the JDRF are ploughing money into having a encapsulated beta cell transplant which would eliminate the need for the anti-rejection drugs. See more here: http://jdrf.org/encapsulation/

And I think that it would be used for all types of diabetes.

As it stands then it would not be for me until they solve the rejection issues - I am a cancer survivor, have sarcoidosis, graves as well as type 1 over 29 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

ah this would be amazing, with world diabetes day coming I am planning to organise some fundraising in my workplace possibly, I think we should all try to, great cause. I am probably optimistic but at 30 I still believe I will live up to the day some sort of cure will be available

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My Medtronic CGM has been a shambles recently. Using Enlight sensors, and generally I only get them to work for about 24hrs before my results go haywire and I have to remove it. Very disappointing. I think a lot of this is to do with me being quite slim, and the sensors getting moved around once inserted. But of late, things have been particularly bad, far worse than before. Almost makes them a waste of time.

Had to insert 3 sensors yesterday, on one, the electrode (or whatever you call the piece that stays inside you...) wasn't there at all, so there was no chance of it working. The other was giving mental numbers, and the last is working...for now. Very frustrating. And considering every enlight sensor costs about 70 quid, it's a bit ridiculous!

Had to insert 3 sensors yesterday, on one, the electrode (or whatever you call the piece that stays inside you...) wasn't there at all, so there was no chance of it working. The other was giving mental numbers, and the last is working...for now. Very frustrating. And considering every enlight sensor costs about 70 quid, it's a bit ridiculous!

Thats shocking quality control, can you contact them for a replacement or an explanation and refund?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CramCycle wrote: »
    Thats shocking quality control, can you contact them for a replacement or an explanation and refund?

Well that's not the cost to me! Since it's provided under LTI...but it is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Well that's not the cost to me! Since it's provided under LTI...but it is ridiculous.

I'd still be complaining, what if you took them on holiday or were away from home and the local pharmacist had not got them in stock.

They are charging us enough for them as the cost comes through taxation, I would definitely be complaining.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'd still be complaining, what if you took them on holiday or were away from home and the local pharmacist had not got them in stock.

They are charging us enough for them as the cost comes through taxation, I would definitely be complaining.

You're right. Just gave them a call, waiting for a call back from a support rep!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

the Dexcom sensors are 7day ones

people get 2 - 3 weeks out of one of them

gctest50 wrote: »
    the Dexcom sensors are 7day ones

people get 2 - 3 weeks out of one of them

Yeah these are 6 days. But don't last. Readings go haywire after around 24 hours i find. Which makes them completely useless.

Yeah these are 6 days. But don't last. Readings go haywire after around 24 hours i find. Which makes them completely useless.

oh noes! they've been infected with HSE-itis

cocker5's OH uses dexcom - if you have a look back through this thread

esp. if you have a small kid with Type1

you can wire the Dexcom remote display to an Android phone and make it upload the cgm readings to the internets
    then see them from anywhere

http://www.nightscout.info

My Medtronic CGM has been a shambles recently. Using Enlight sensors, and generally I only get them to work for about 24hrs before my results go haywire and I have to remove it. Very disappointing. I think a lot of this is to do with me being quite slim, and the sensors getting moved around once inserted. But of late, things have been particularly bad, far worse than before. Almost makes them a waste of time.

Hi Alan, I don't know how long you have been having this trouble but it might be worth discussing your suitability to the Medtronic system and considering one of the others, or rather the other one? Another option is to try different sites (but you've probably done that). I hope it gets sorted for you soon.

Probably not the best time but I am going to see about getting the pump again - I would need cgm but I do feel that it would make a huge difference - I have changed consultant to someone that I have had the fortune of attending in the past who was and is brilliant - will see. I already carb count but other medical issues complicate things (my digestion is variable for a start).

graflynn wrote: »
    Hi Alan, I don't know how long you have been having this trouble but it might be worth discussing your suitability to the Medtronic system and considering one of the others, or rather the other one? Another option is to try different sites (but you've probably done that). I hope it gets sorted for you soon.

I've been on the CGM for about 6 months, and have been having issues for ~3. It worked well in the beginning and then became unusable. After speaking with the medtronic support rep, who were very good over the phone, they said that it is most likely the insertion sites that result in the sensor not sitting in the correct position, or too close to muscle resulting in the reading being off. Which makes sense. I have one on at the minute, which is actually working so I'm going to run with this for a while at least and see what my results are like.

For me the CGM is not something I want to wear at all times (even if it was reliable!), it's more something for me to wear 6 days a month to make sure my sugars are in check, and I'm not suddenly experiencing highs/lows over night, or gradual rises at certain times of the day.

• Advertisement

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Probably not the best time but I am going to see about getting the pump again - I would need cgm but I do feel that it would make a huge difference - I have changed consultant to someone that I have had the fortune of attending in the past who was and is brilliant - will see. I already carb count but other medical issues complicate things (my digestion is variable for a start).

This might help you fight your case; http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/153070_Detailed_Leaflet_May_14_HR.pdf[/URL]

Advertisement