Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I on the correct point of payscale?

• 08-08-2015 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I'm sitting down to look over my accounts and I really don't have a clue.

Did get to go through things with a Cornmarket rep but he didn't really sound like he knew much more than me (which is little) and I wasn't really prepared for the meeting as it was at an extremely busy time of the year.

Anyway - I will list my issues and what would be brilliant would be if someone could advise me on what I need to do/request or who I need to talk to if that is the case, then I will get on that asap.

I'll give all the info I think you will need below:

I'm a TUI member since 2010.

2007 - 2010 I worked in a school under Co Dublin VEC. I was unqualified and subbing. None of these years I had full hours.

2009 - 2010 I did the HDip

2010 - Present I work in a school under LMETB. All years I have had full hours.

I am currently on point 7 of the scale, due to move to point 8 this Oct (but no increment right away - is that correct?)

Starting at point 3 this means I have moved 5 places in the five years since qualified. I thought this was accurate but a colleague has told me I should actually be on point 9 or 10 as unqualified years count. Is this true? Do I need to contact people/depts and request statements of hrs worked or something?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Bananaleaf wrote: »

2007 - 2010 I worked in a school under Co Dublin VEC. I was unqualified and subbing. None of these years I had full hours.

I am currently on point 7 of the scale, due to move to point 8 this Oct (but no increment right away - is that correct?)

Starting at point 3 this means I have moved 5 places in the five years since qualified. I thought this was accurate but a colleague has told me I should actually be on point 9 or 10 as unqualified years count. Is this true? Do I need to contact people/depts and request statements of hrs worked or something?

Thanks for any help

OK. Despite having, like yourself, worked as an unqualified DoE-paid sub (not on full hours) prior to my Dip, I know for certain that I started on Point 3 in my Dip year, not the September following qualification. It is possible that the DoE made a mistake and should have started me on Point 3 before this, or indeed after it that following September, but let's assume they are correct. With that caveat, here's what I would expect for you:

2009-2010: Point 3
    2010-2011: Point 4
    2011-2012: Point 5
    2012-2013: Point 6
    2013-2014: Point 7
    2014-2015: Point 8 (increment is worth €2,711 to you this year, but because of the 3-month delayed payment you lose 25% of it, or €678.)
    2015-2016: Point 9

I find the people in DoE Salaries in Cornamaddy to be quite helpful so I'd definitely be giving them a tinkle first thing in the maidin if I were in your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

PS: The increment for all teachers earning under €65k is due to be paid on March 1 2016 (Source). This means that, for the second year running, we are taking a 25% reduction in our increment due to it being paid after 15 months rather than after 12 months. Last year, this delayed increment should have been paid to us on 1 December (instead of the normal 1 September). However, the state did not even pay us on this delayed 1 December date; we were finally paid on 19 February 2015 (it was backdated). In other words, while our delayed increment is due on 1 March 2016, don't be surprised if you actually receive it at the end of May 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi there

I'm sitting down to look over my accounts and I really don't have a clue.

Did get to go through things with a Cornmarket rep but he didn't really sound like he knew much more than me (which is little) and I wasn't really prepared for the meeting as it was at an extremely busy time of the year.

Anyway - I will list my issues and what would be brilliant would be if someone could advise me on what I need to do/request or who I need to talk to if that is the case, then I will get on that asap.

I'll give all the info I think you will need below:

Thanks for any help

If you're with an etb ring payroll and ask them. They are usually very good at this. There are a min number of hours per year that needed to be done to be granted incremental credit, again payroll will sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Thank you guys for your help! I have tried calling my ETB, no answer but I will keep trying.

I knowt that there are a certain number of hours needed to progress to pay scale alright. To be honest, pre hdip I don't know what hours I would have had year on year. after hdip year was always full hours though.

@gaiscioch - if a certain number of hours are needed to jump to next scale, then maybe it was a mistake them putting you up after hdip as you most likely wouldn't have met the required number of hours? Just a thought. Maybe I am on the right point after all. I will be calling to confirm anyway.

It's terrible about the postponement of increments, isn't it?

Actually, while I'm here - I recall reading something about a 2% pay rise for public sector in Jan - is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I would suggest you do your research before ringing the ETB or the Department. I was owed a significant amount of money but was told separately by both that I was incorrect and I was on the correct scale.
    I had to argue on the phone as they were convinced they were right. It took months to sort out.

My saving grace was that I knew I was 100% correct and would not accept their answers so I just stuck at it. Had I not done my research fully first I may have just accepted their answer that I was owed nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 peigindubh

The union is usually great at sorting these things out and your union rep will usually be satisfied to ring the relevant payroll for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

You have to do 600 hours to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Well, I never got through to the office today, but now that I've read the comments I'm not in any hurry to either.

I don't really know how I would go about figuring out where I stand regarding hours. Maybe request a statement of service from both VECs and try figure it out?

I guess my first point of contact should be the union where I can find out when movement up the scale actually begins - while unqualified or after one is qualified. Then I can go from there and count my hours up.

What's strange is that when I joined what is now the ETB in 2009 after working for Dublin VECsince 2007, the ETB themselves called me to tell me I had never been moved up the pay scale and I received a lump payment (which was hit with a huge USC charge despite being earned pre 2011 - some of you may remember my thread about that PS: I had to pay that)

But the strange thing is that my movements up the pay scale only seem to have started in 2009, so what was the back pay even for then? Strange. I will call union to determine when one starts moving up the scale and I will take it from there

Advertisement