Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualified to Teach SPHE

• 08-07-2015 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I would just like to know how would I go about becoming qualified to teach SPHE? Quite a number of posts advertise for it as a subject schools are looking for and I would just like to know if there is a course etc. I could do to add this to my qualifications?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I would not pick SPHE as a subject to qualify in.
    It is a timetable "filler" in a lot of schools.
    Any teacher can teach it really.
    I don't think there's a specific qualification.
    It's taught by science, Home Ec, RE teachers .

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sop931

Sorry, I am already qualified to teach Irish and English! Should have mentioned that, the reason I want to teach it is exactly what you mentioned. I would like it as a subject that could be a filler in my timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

sop931 wrote: »
    Sorry, I am already qualified to teach Irish and English! Should have mentioned that, the reason I want to teach it is exactly what you mentioned. I would like it as a subject that could be a filler in my timetable.

There are a few places that offer a cert, diploma in SPHE which can lead onto a masters, I know WIT do anyway. Not sure if this qualifies you to teach it tho..damn teaching council !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I know there is a Diploma course in WIT but I don't know anyone who has done it. SPHE really is a time-table filler in schools but there is plenty of In Service available and its generally very good so have a look at www.sphe.ie for info. During Inspections they do ask about In Service courses attended by staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

sop931 wrote: »

To be honest if you get a job teaching English and Irish you could easily be given SPHE as a filler without any qualification, but the qualification is available in WIT as was posted above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 ldoll

You do an introductory course ran by the pdst etc through sphe.ie and follow it up with other day inservices with them. Apply early as it only runs at beginning of school year. It's free, but takes two days and your principal signs off on it. I don't think you can do it without a roll number though.
    I agree with other posters though, I did the inservice in 2011 but have never taught it. Know lots that have it as a filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

If you're still wondering about this, maybe check with UCD as well. I did an optional course in SPHE that we were told qualified us to teach it. This was back when I did the Dip, mid 2000's. We were to that we had to attend the in services regularly as well. It was a great option because although you had to sit an exam unlike the other optional modules, it was something more concrete for the CV.

Advertisement