Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CELT/CELTA/TEFL Help please!

• 27-09-2015 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi guys,
    I'm a university graduate looking to do a language course so I can teach English abroad.
    I have zero teaching experience. I am looking for advice on what course I should do.

So far everyone says ''don't do TEFL, do CELT/CELTA''. ''TEFL short courses aren't worth the paper they are printed on''

What are the differences between these courses?
    CELTA seems to be slightly more distinguished, and thus more expensive, but I can't see much of a difference between that and CELT.

Also, how difficult is it to work while you do these courses?
    If I was to only work weekends, would that allow enough time for tefl?

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for?
    Any other tips and tricks I should know?
    All advice welcome! Please educate me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I'm a little bit confused by your post. You're doing a language course?

CELTA is the most recognised course. CELT is similar but as a colleage of mine once said: Why do a course that you have to explain to every other employer (abroad), when I can just do the one everyone knows?

It depends on how long you see yourself teaching which one you should pick. The CELTA is a bit of an investment.

The CELTA is pretty tough going mon-fri for 1 month. I couldn't have worked during mine, I would've been wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Thrash

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

Should I do a grammar course first? Although i'm a native speaker I wouldn't know how to explain many grammar mistakes to non-natives.
    Are you expected to have an advanced knowledge of grammar before you start, or do they teach you?

I haven't studied grammar in around 12 years, so the thoughts of explaining things like adverbial clauses and the subjunctive to non-native speakers have me terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

You're not expected to have an advanced knowledge of grammar before a CELTA, but they also won't teach you much. The course is to teach you how to be a teacher, not to teach you English.

Did you end up doing a course?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Thrash

Hey, yeah, I ended up doing a CELT course because the CELTA was an extra 1,000 euros.
    So glad I didn't waste my money with one of the i to i scams.

It's good. I'm enjoying it. My grammar is lacking in certain areas, but overall i'm quite confident about teaching abroad in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭wildchild247

sorry for hijacking the thread but I am applying for CELTA and there are a few tricky questions on there.

I've been asked to pick the odd one out from the following four phrases:
    to talk
    to shout
    to speak
    to whisper
    I was thinking of meaning but that seems to a bit vague.
    I wonder if they are looking for me to say that "to speak" has an irregular perfect tense form?
    Any help is appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

sorry for hijacking the thread but I am applying for CELTA and there are a few tricky questions on there.

I've been asked to pick the odd one out from the following four phrases:
    to talk
    to shout
    to speak
    to whisper
    I was thinking of meaning but that seems to a bit vague.
    I wonder if they are looking for me to say that "to speak" has an irregular perfect tense form?
    Any help is appreciated.

Late reply but that's the only thing I can logically get from it.

Advertisement