Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Courses in Law?

• 29-10-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

As the title suggests, I don't have a background in Law, but it is something that has always interested me. I also love to write, read and I am good at research and analysis. So for these reasons and the fact that I find it really interesting as a topic, I'd like to find out more about my options.

I am in my early 30s and have approx ten years professional experience, primarily in digital marketing. I currently work as a digital marketing consultant.

In any case, my questions are:

-Are there law courses out there that you would recommend, which start in early 2014? Or do they all mainly start around the usual time (September of each year)?

-I'm not interested in becoming a barrister, so outside of doing the FE-1s, what are the job prospects like in Law for someone like myself, who has quite a bit of professional and business experience?

I see the FE-1 courses promoted quite heavily (I even have a banner ad promoting the FE1 Preparatory Programme from City Colleges displaying above this very post!). Are people really signing up to these in significant numbers, considering that as far as I can tell, there are hundreds of unemployed solicitors all across Ireland?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

riveratom wrote: »
    Hi folks,

As the title suggests, I don't have a background in Law, but it is something that has always interested me. I also love to write, read and I am good at research and analysis. So for these reasons and the fact that I find it really interesting as a topic, I'd like to find out more about my options.

I am in my early 30s and have approx ten years professional experience, primarily in digital marketing. I currently work as a digital marketing consultant.

In any case, my questions are:

-Are there law courses out there that you would recommend, which start in early 2014? Or do they all mainly start around the usual time (September of each year)?

-I'm not interested in becoming a barrister, so outside of doing the FE-1s, what are the job prospects like in Law for someone like myself, who has quite a bit of professional and business experience?

I see the FE-1 courses promoted quite heavily (I even have a banner ad promoting the FE1 Preparatory Programme from City Colleges displaying above this very post!). Are people really signing up to these in significant numbers, considering that as far as I can tell, there are hundreds of unemployed solicitors all across Ireland?!

DBS and GCD seem to be the main players. DIT also have a conversion course in Law, but that runs from Oct-May, so out of the question for now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

D.I.T. Aungier St has a good course which can be done over a number of years by evening course. But it is well into it by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Your post is a bit ambiguous in relation tot the FE-1s so sorry if you know this but solicitors do the FE-1s. The reason I mention this is becuase there is nothing stopping you doing the Kings Inns diploma course even if you don't want to be a barrister.

You might decide to do the BL (Barrister Qualification) and then go in house, you could equally do the solicitor route and do the same.

The other alternative is to do an LL.B or BCL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Do you not want to be a Solicitor or Barrister, but work in the legal field in another capacity? The DIT course is very well respected, but I suppose it all depends on what typoe of role you had in mind for yourself.

Regarding the preparatory courses, I'm a trainee solicitor and according to the Law Society the FE1 numbers have shot up again this year, but the trainee intake is still on the slide.

Sala wrote: »
    Do you not want to be a Solicitor or Barrister, but work in the legal field in another capacity? The DIT course is very well respected, but I suppose it all depends on what typoe of role you had in mind for yourself.

I really like the idea of becoming a solicitor actually. It's something I've thought about on and off over the years, for quite a long time. I am good with people and am a good writer, I can also absorb a lot of information and retain a good knowledge of it - all of which should stand to me in such a profession (I presume).

However, it's also expensive to train as one, and I am also mainly thinking of working in the legal field generally. So, perhaps being employed in-house by a company looking for someone with a good legal foundation and other skills too (e.g. marketing, business). Would you say there are many options out there along those lines?
    Regarding the preparatory courses, I'm a trainee solicitor and according to the Law Society the FE1 numbers have shot up again this year, but the trainee intake is still on the slide.

Oh, very good. How did you find the FE1s? Would love to hear your thoughts on them and how you got on.

That's as I thought too, I don't really get why so many still go for the exams when there are virtually no jobs for solicitors though? I guess you are not limited to solicitor roles and can always work in the legal field as a whole, while waiting for the job market to pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Oh, very good. How did you find the FE1s? Would love to hear your thoughts on them and how you got on.

Horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I really like the idea of becoming a solicitor actually. It's something I've thought about on and off over the years, for quite a long time. I am good with people and am a good writer, I can also absorb a lot of information and retain a good knowledge of it - all of which should stand to me in such a profession (I presume).

However, it's also expensive to train as one, and I am also mainly thinking of working in the legal field generally. So, perhaps being employed in-house by a company looking for someone with a good legal foundation and other skills too (e.g. marketing, business). Would you say there are many options out there along those lines?

That's as I thought too, I don't really get why so many still go for the exams when there are virtually no jobs for solicitors though? I guess you are not limited to solicitor roles and can always work in the legal field as a whole, while waiting for the job market to pick up.

The FE1s are tough enough, but the really hard bit is getting the training contract. I would skip the DIT route if you want to be a Solicitor and go straight for the FE1s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I'd think long and hard about the solicitor route. It's FE-1 crams followed by poor pay and condition (in the main) followed by an office job, I've met very few happy solicitors in all honesty. I realise I'm opening myself up for a gigantic flaming but I'm just calling it as I see it (sorry!)

OP I think you should consider whether you want to be a solicitor or want to do a law degree for the craic, which is just as good a reason to do one as any other to be frank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Bepolite wrote: »
    I'd think long and hard about the solicitor route. It's FE-1 crams followed by poor pay and condition (in the main) followed by an office job, I've met very few happy solicitors in all honesty. I realise I'm opening myself up for a gigantic flaming but I'm just calling it as I see it (sorry!)

OP I think you should consider whether you want to be a solicitor or want to do a law degree for the craic, which is just as good a reason to do one as any other to be frank.

I have to agree, I know a solicitor 8 years PQE has been on same salary for 8 years, I know one 7 years salary has reduced by over 20%, most trainees I know from 2008 to 2012 are not in legal employment.

But there is hope, a lot of the few new qualified from the last year are getting jobs, (pretty crap pay well under 30k a year). It is of course possible to do very well, it's getting more and more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

You won't really be able to do any substantial amount of legal work for companies, even in an in-house role without a legal qualification (solicitor/barrister). Most companies will only want to use qualified legal professionals for the level of work that would be interesting. Other than actual solicitors/barristers there are people like paralegals and legal secretaries but that's would be an enormous step for somebody who has eight years experience as a professional.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the comments thus far. Definitely not looking to become a solicitor, at least not anytime soon. As per the comments just above, I have heard from a reliable source what average salaries are like in big law firms - needless to say I was shocked!! You would never think that about law.

I would be mainly looking to see what the options are for someone with a postgrad of some other certification in law/ I realise you wouldn't be doing any significant legal work in companies off the back of a one year degree, so then why are all of these people doing the likes of the postgrad in DIT? If not to go down the solicitor or barrister route, is it just to add a string to their bow maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Thanks for the comments thus far. Definitely not looking to become a solicitor, at least not anytime soon. As per the comments just above, I have heard from a reliable source what average salaries are like in big law firms - needless to say I was shocked!! You would never think that about law.

I would be mainly looking to see what the options are for someone with a postgrad of some other certification in law/ I realise you wouldn't be doing any significant legal work in companies off the back of a one year degree, so then why are all of these people doing the likes of the postgrad in DIT? If not to go down the solicitor or barrister route, is it just to add a string to their bow maybe?

To be honest, a legal degree is pretty useless to most companies. Even a professional qualification without any PQE is of little use.

infosys wrote: »
    To be honest, a legal degree is pretty useless to most companies. Even a professional qualification without any PQE is of little use.

That's what I figure too, which is why I'm wondering why all of these people are paying thousands to do one in the first place..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

That's what I figure too, which is why I'm wondering why all of these people are paying thousands to do one in the first place..

Because they are interested or they think it will help their job prospects.

Advertisement