Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Businesses OPENING/REOPENING around the county.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

Going by that they're going to toss all the buildings on the opposite side of the car park and get rid of the car park itself :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

Firblog wrote: »
    Going by that they're going to toss all the buildings on the opposite side of the car park and get rid of the car park itself :eek:

Am i missing something?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Has Pearls Place closed in Donegal Town?

Has Pearls Place closed in Donegal Town?

Gone well over a year and came close to taking a few things with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

just kiddin', the graphic on the architects website doesn't show the carpark or any other buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

overshoot wrote: »
    Gone well over a year and came close to taking a few things with it!

Oh yeah?? what was that

feelpablo wrote: »
    Oh yeah?? what was that

It went a year ago, scroll back in the thread. Wasn't the only downfall tho.
    I know of one other business with a hole in its account

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bazdonegal

New computer repair shop recently opened in Letterkenny.

LK IT Centre, Computer Repairs & Services down past the Dry Arch Complex, Bonagee on the way down to Tinney's oil Depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

new italian restaurant trattoria toscana next to tonis not sure when its opening (where the chinese was)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

New barber shop on Larkin's Lane Letterkenny.

Two others opened in the last while, one opposite Solo and where Carmel's shop used to be on the High Road (showing my age).

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Seen on FB earlier on a new takeaway is opening in September where the diamond grill was up untill recently. Only clue was one with over 100 premises nationwide. Dont know what the figures are for Subway or Abras, but would guess it to be one of them if any truth in the story.

Anyone hear anymore on this?

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Seen on FB earlier on a new takeaway is opening in September where the diamond grill was up untill recently. Only clue was one with over 100 premises nationwide. Dont know what the figures are for Subway or Abras, but would guess it to be one of them if any truth in the story.

Anyone hear anymore on this?
    Apache pizza allegedly

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Apache pizza allegedly
    apache.ie wrote:
    Apache Pizza is a fully Irish owned quality pizza delivery company, we have in excess of 100 stores nationwide.

Could be right indeed. I have never eaten from Apache Pizza before, so dunno what they're like. For a town that had no proper pizzaria place for years (apart from the restaurants like The Harbour and La Bella Donna offering pizza to take away), there's probably too many now, with Caspian Pizza and Taj offering pizza also.

I guess it's better than another empty premises though, so good luck to whoever takes over.

byte wrote: »
    Could be right indeed. I have never eaten from Apache Pizza before, so dunno what they're like. For a town that had no proper pizzaria place for years (apart from the restaurants like The Harbour and La Bella Donna offering pizza to take away), there's probably too many now, with Caspian Pizza and Taj offering pizza also.

I guess it's better than another empty premises though, so good luck to whoever takes over.

Personally, i would rather pizza from an independent rather than a chain. Not sure what the former No11s offer in terms of kebabs, but I was delighted to see a proper kebab store even if it was not always the best.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Personally, i would rather pizza from an independent rather than a chain. Not sure what the former No11s offer in terms of kebabs, but I was delighted to see a proper kebab store even if it was not always the best.

Apache's are franchises so independently owned; but they seem to be borging a lot of former full independents recently. My local one down here fell to them in the past few weeks but the really interesting bits of their menu went ages ago.

L1011 wrote: »
    Apache's are franchises so independently owned; but they seem to be borging a lot of former full independents recently. My local one down here fell to them in the past few weeks but the really interesting bits of their menu went ages ago.

Maybe independently owned, but same or similar menu in all. Similar to other franchise takeaways.

byte

Apache pizza allegedly
    And indeed, it is Apache Pizza.

Signage up a week or so ago, presumably won't be long before it's open (heh, could already be).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Noticed a new restaurant where Galfee's used to be on Letterkenny Main St today. "Florence's"

byte

Apache has finally opened in Donegal Town

Rumours of specsavers going into old subway unit a b d Holland and Barrett into foodies in donegal town.

• Advertisement
    byte

Rumours of specsavers going into old subway unit a b d Holland and Barrett into foodies in donegal town.
    Part of me would be happy to see the shop units occupied, but another part of me would worry these big chain-stores would add pressure to local business of Simple Simon's*, Brady Opticians and Argus Opticians etc.

*I think H&B offer similar produce to that of Simple Simons but may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Part of me would be happy to see the shop units occupied, but another part of me would worry these big chain-stores would add pressure to local business of Simple Simon's*, Brady Opticians and Argus Opticians etc.

*I think H&B offer similar produce to that of Simple Simons but may be wrong.

I agree with your sentiment but Specsavers in Letterkenny don't seem to have done the existing opticians much harm. A well established shop like Simple Simon's is also well placed to resist the less personal approach of a chain store.
    Nobody minds fair competition but unfortunately it is often a case of one law for the big guys and a different law of the rest with all sorts of deals and more favourable conditions for the big names.

I see signage up for "Jamie's Supermarket" above the door where Joseph Gallagher's (Joe Bid's) shop used to be. If he manages to stay in business as long as Joe did he'll be doing well. Good luck to him, whoever he is

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nice to hear a wee bit of good news :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

McGettigans Applegreen opening in Lifford. I hear on the grapevine they will be opening sometime in March. A bit of competition for Dalys. I wonder will they be 24 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

The Limit Bar and Restaurant recently opened in Ballyshannon

byte

The Limit Bar and Restaurant recently opened in Ballyshannon
    Whereabouts is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Whereabouts is that?

Where Sweeneys White Horse Bar used to be, just out the Bundoran road

See a lot of signage up on the premises that used to house Patrick Gildea's hairdressers on Letterkenny Main St indicating that it's to be a deli during the day and a wine bar at night called "Berry Layne". Is there room for yet another deli on Main St.? Also noticed a new supermarket opening on the Port Rd., can't remember what it's called but they say that they'll be doing Indian and European food with free delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

See a lot of signage up on the premises that used to house Patrick Gildea's hairdressers on Letterkenny Main St indicating that it's to be a deli during the day and a wine bar at night called "Berry Layne". Is there room for yet another deli on Main St.?

Think this is owned by the same people that have Bread and Butter. They are supposed to do tapas at this location, so I guess we'll see. My only request is that they post the lunch specials online before the lunch period, not hours afterwards when its not use to me.

Speaking of supermarkets, there is a new one open in Joe Bidd's place, called Jamie's supermarket who also deliver (according to signage). Not been in yet though

Advertisement