Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

token101 wrote: »
    I'd argue that the borrower has the majority of the responsibility in most cases. No one had a gun held to their head, there are always alternatives. They were seduced by the easy credit the bank was selling, which is their job. I'm not saying I don't feel for lot of people in the situation, but to turn around and castigate the banks as criminally liable and attempt to absolve borrowers entirely like some here have done is a bit ridiculous and irritating.

I think borrowers have to take responsibility for their mistakes. Many knowingly stretched themselves by over-borrowing and have to deal with the consequences.

On the other side, the banks can limit their risks by varying their loan to net income ratio (e.g. only lending 3 x net income rather than 6/7 x net income).

The difference in the Irish case is the Irish taxpayer is paying for the bank's lack of responsibility (by recapitalising the banks).

I wasn't involved in property and don't have a mortgage, but I can understand the frustration of the borrowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I have said in a previous post how I was suprised when a few years ago I went to the bank to get a small loan of €600. At the time I was only earning €300 a week so I had carefully thought about how much I could afford to pay back. I expected to be asked about my outgoings and if I could make the repayments. The bank told me that I was pre-approved to take out a loan of €10,000!
    My longwinded point is, it's not the people who have to deal with the fallout who should be regulated, it's the people who create the situation who should be accountable.

I once applied for a loan of €8,000 and was refused, the bank told me i'd have to take €15,000 for them to lend to me! Now that is fúcking ridiculous, i didn't take the loan cos quite simply i didn't want to borrow that much, i had no use for it and would have just blown it - but i'm sure a lot of people in my position would have taken it and probably suffered because of it. That is hardly professional banking behaviour, of course they should share the blame if it all goes tits up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Yes and we all did maths going to school, everyone knows how much they will make in the year so a 5 minute calculation would tell someone if they could afford a loan.
    If it was that easy, the country wouldn't be in the position it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Gay Byrne is an annoying old fart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

To the poster who claimed a newly qualified 18 year old carpenter was offered a 100k loan, that can't be true as a carpentry apprenticeship takes four years and you can't begin one until you're 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

MJ23 wrote: »
    Gay Byrne is an annoying old fart

Hes so patronising.

Now don't get me started on Craig Doyle ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

The youth of today have no repect, bring back the cane!

Except of course for my kids who are little angels and paragons of respectfullness:D

Slurryface wrote: »
    The youth of today have no repect, bring back the cane!

Except of course for my kids who are little angels and paragons of respectfullness:D

My little Johnny and Mary are always angels !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

JFK, bedhopping US president who nearly sparked off WW3.

He'd be barely remembered if he wasn't good-looking and assassinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

JFK, bedhopping US president who nearly sparked off WW3.

He'd be barely remembered if he wasn't good-looking and assassinated.

And sparked a US recession for a decade by spending so much on NASA. (Still glad he did though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Hes so patronising.

Now don't get me started on Craig Doyle ......

from 2.28, they got him spot on i think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Why should people who were responsible with their finances be forced to carry the can for some people who were complete gob****es with theirs. Now i know some people were caught out when the bubble burst but for every one of them theres also someone who walked into a bank and got another 50k over the value of their homes so they could buy the cars and get the latest gadgets.

Really does my head in, at the end of the day its your name at the bottom of your mortgage not mine. I've made plenty of bad financial decisions in my time but i'll take responsibility for them. It just so happens that i thought long and hard about mins and yes i paid over the odds at the time for it and i wasn't in what you would call stable employment at the time but thats my problem.

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DONT COME CRYING TO US WHEN THINGS GO TITS UP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Why should people who were responsible with their finances be forced to carry the can for some people who were complete gob****es with theirs. Now i know some people were caught out when the bubble burst but for every one of them theres also someone who walked into a bank and got another 50k over the value of their homes so they could buy the cars and get the latest gadgets.

Really does my head in, at the end of the day its your name at the bottom of your mortgage not mine. I've made plenty of bad financial decisions in my time but i'll take responsibility for them. It just so happens that i thought long and hard about mins and yes i paid over the odds at the time for it and i wasn't in what you would call stable employment at the time but thats my problem.

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DONT COME CRYING TO US WHEN THINGS GO TITS UP

Like the time you bet the winter heating allowance on The King of the Sheep competition and lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Like the time you bet the winter heating allowance on The King of the Sheep competition and lost.

Eh !!!???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Why should people who were responsible with their finances be forced to carry the can for some people who were complete gob****es with theirs.

I agree, I've never understood why anyone gets the Non-Contributory State Pension. If you can't be responsible then tough. I hope they cut this in the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Bit simplistic, but I would love to see the health system completely scrapped, and re-built from ground up, with everyone re-interviewed for their jobs, with fair but competitive salaries paid based on performance. All dead weight like overstaffed HSE departments gutted, and get rid of all the nepotism and 'jobs for the boys' brigade.

A fixed amount of a persons income/social welfare should be put into a national health fund that cannot be accessed by any other government department. The amount a person pays should be based on their health, if their illness is due to being obese/overweight due to being lazy or unfit-they pay more. People should be more responsible and accountable for their ****ing selves, and the burden they put on the system. end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

It's my opinion that the unpopular opinions thread has become a boring heap of ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Most of the last page are popular opinions, especially the one about the Health Service

This thread needs a boost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Shane McGowan is the sexiest man alive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Hmmm....you'd be surprised.

Have you ever looked at the athiesm threads on here?
    Could you please point me towards a single thread on this forum where people who claim that others should not be allowed freedom of religion are anything but a very small minority?

Shane McGowan is the sexiest man alive.

Is this the comedy thread !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The current government is doing the best it can and hard decisions must be made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The current government is doing the best it can and hard decisions must be made

Actually they're not. Look at the allowances debacle. They are afraid to make some of the hard decisions needed to be made. What about Reilly adding two towns in his constituency to a priority list for primary care centres? What about Clom Keaveney saying in his pre-election that we need to change the old order of things and then hiring his wife at the top rate of pay as his parlimentary assistant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Unpopular opinions eh ???

Lisa Simpson should have been killed off and not Ned Flanders wife (what ever her name was)

I would let Michelle Rodriguez & Gina Carano wrestle in-front of me for my amusement, or beat me up ....< not sure that's an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Hmmm....you'd be surprised.

Have you ever looked at the athiesm threads on here?
    Could you please point me towards a single thread on this forum where people who claim that others should not be allowed freedom of religion are anything but a very small minority?

Well apart from the nutters who spend their time insulting other peoples intelligence based on their belief systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Joeface wrote: »
    Unpopular opinions eh ???

Lisa Simpson should have been killed off and not Ned Flanders wife (what ever her name was)

Maude was her name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Chris wouldn't have won anyway, even if Fargo hadn't of scared him

My unpopular opinion, there I've said it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Boombastic wrote: »
    Chris wouldn't have won anyway, even if Fargo hadn't of scared him

My unpopular opinion, there I've said it

You just went too far pal!! :pac:

• Advertisement

Boombastic wrote: »