Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating.. *See Mod Note in Post 112*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ciff

I heard that you are subjected to a numerous sessions with a priest if you are caught cheating? To get the sin out of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emma123abc

Remember that people tend to exaggerate, especially online; that the odd troll will be stirring it as well.

That's not to say that I think that the system is perfect, or that everyone is as wide awake as they should be, but the thousands of LC students out there who feel that their supervisor is doing a good job don't usually bother to hop on Boards to post about it! :D

Well, I can safely say that my supervisor is really good! Only handing out the answer booklets 2 minutes before the exam, the actual paper a minute before and walks around the room every 5 or 10 minutes. And she makes sure nobody has phones in their pockets, even turned off, mostly for our own peace of minds!
    Just feel like I have to defend the supervisors that actually are doing their jobs! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭terryincork

emma123abc wrote: »
    Well, I can safely say that my supervisor is really good! Only handing out the answer booklets 2 minutes before the exam, the actual paper a minute before and walks around the room every 5 or 10 minutes. And she makes sure nobody has phones in their pockets, even turned off, mostly for our own peace of minds!
    Just feel like I have to defend the supervisors that actually are doing their jobs! :)

They are doing their jobs..some just better than others..and those that aren't doing it to a necessary standard, are giving an obvious opportunity for the cheaters to actually cheat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

My friend told me that he was one of the 5th years on bathroom duty etc last year, and a girl was caught cheating. She had recorded herself reading all her Physics notes and had them on her iPod. She had the iPod earphones hidden under her headscarf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

<snip>

Do cop on, please! - R.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

I was nearly finished my history exam. I always have my phone on silent but i forgot and it rang. Im just lucky that it was in my bag outside and not on me! I never forget to leave my ipod and phone outside im so glad i didnt this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jeannie792

there's an external candidate in my center who cheated in both the french and biology exams. She made up tiny little cards and hid them in her pencil case then hid them under her hand and the paper when the examiner was going round. It totally pissed me off. I'd only been reading this thread the night before and all so when I saw it happening i was like :eek: i gave her a full on death glare in the biology so she'd know she'd been seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

A lad in the year above ours had a literature book covered in notes... the examiner spotted it and he chucked it out the window before any further investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i think it depends on the examiner really, some really look to find someone cheating but others don't, theres an examiner in my school this year and my friend told me he said out all the rules but then was like if any of these things happen like phones going off i'll turn a blind eye, and the same for if they were talking, he gave them 10-15 minutes before every exam as well to start which in a way is a bit like cheating cos they got way more time than everyone else! like that time can make the difference of some people's grades :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

xclw wrote: »
    i think it depends on the examiner really, some really look to find someone cheating but others don't, theres an examiner in my school this year and my friend told me he said out all the rules but then was like if any of these things happen like phones going off i'll turn a blind eye, and the same for if they were talking, he gave them 10-15 minutes before every exam as well to start which in a way is a bit like cheating cos they got way more time than everyone else! like that time can make the difference of some people's grades :/

You should report him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

The fella who supervises us is dead on. I'm sitting right in front of his desk,and I hate the awkward moments when I look up at the clock and he's blocking it so it just looks like I'm staring at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    The fella who supervises us is dead on. I'm sitting right in front of his desk,and I hate the awkward moments when I look up at the clock and he's blocking it so it just looks like I'm staring at him.

Made me loler.
    You should definitely invest in a wristwatch though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Tbh, that's disgraceful. That would definitely make a massive difference to grades, especially in exams like English, or Irish, or history! As spurious said, report him, because he's giving a distinct unfair advantage to the students in his centre. He's not doing his job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Jeannie792 wrote: »
    there's an external candidate in my center who cheated in both the french and biology exams. She made up tiny little cards and hid them in her pencil case then hid them under her hand and the paper when the examiner was going round. It totally pissed me off. I'd only been reading this thread the night before and all so when I saw it happening i was like :eek: i gave her a full on death glare in the biology so she'd know she'd been seen.
    You should definitely report them. People have worked hard for these exams and this person cheating could cost someone else a grade.
    You should report that superintendent. That's completely unfair. I wouldn't be surprised if he also let them keep their phones with them in the exam centre. Someone could quite feasibly have leaked the exam paper early to other candidates with him turning a blind eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I don't understand the mentality of cheating tbh honest. the amount of effort and stress that must go into making out the notes and hiding em in the exam must be on par with learning them honestly so why not do it the honest way. If you can't do the L.C legitametly should you really be going to college where the exams will be even harder you'll probably sink rather than swim and end up dropping out.

our examiner is fairly strict. I dunno whether its because i'm sitting in front of her or not but I swear she keeps staring at me and I'm pretty sure she wrote something about me during the art exam on her little sheet scared the **** out of me I sat up cause i got serious pain in my chest and then i copped she was looking at me. My pain face must look very dishonest. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mty92

Report this immediately because a load of us, I myself a repeat included, did not work this year to lose a college place to others who had an unfrair advantage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

._. wrote: »
    Made me loler.
    You should definitely invest in a wristwatch though :p

Ah well just one left :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

how do i report, do i go to my principal or what? i know cos those few minutes can make the difference between grades and someone else might loose out on their college course because of random selection :/

how do i report, do i go to my principal or what? i know cos those few minutes can make the difference between grades and someone else might loose out on their college course because of random selection :/
    Yes, go straight to your principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Yes, go straight to your principal.

Or the SEC...this guy shouldn't be allowed to supervise if this is how he conducts himself all the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

To be honest apart from sacking the supervisor theres really nothing else the SEC can do! The exams are almost over now!

To be honest apart from sacking the supervisor theres really nothing else the SEC can do! The exams are almost over now!
    Yes there is. They can adjust the marking for those who sat exams with him to have them marked a bit harder to adjust for the extra time they were allowed. Not only that but it'll ensure that he's never allowed to supervise a state exam again.

Yes there is. They can adjust the marking for those who sat exams with him to have them marked a bit harder to adjust for the extra time they were allowed. Not only that but it'll ensure that he's never allowed to supervise a state exam again.

I really doubt they would do that.

Although I am also enraged at this gross negligence and think it is highly unfair on the majority of us who did the exams fair and squaer, it really would be unfair on the students in that centre. They didn't ask the supervisor to be such an eejit. It should have been reported after the very first exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

That's hardly fair either, they didn't ask for a crap supervisor..
    If you were given a paper early by your supervisor and told to start, wtf else would you do?

._. wrote: »
    That's hardly fair either, they didn't ask for a crap supervisor..
    If you were given a paper early by your supervisor and told to start, wtf else would you do?
    You'd start the exam of course. It's not their fault that they got a lenient superintendent but even so the extra time they were allowed should be taken in to account during marking to keep things fair. I'm not asking for them to be docked marks just for having a lenient examiner, all I want is for the person correcting the papers to be aware that they had an extra 15 minutes that the other 55,000 or so didn't.

You'd start the exam of course. It's not their fault that they got a lenient superintendent but even so the extra time they were allowed should be taken in to account during marking to keep things fair. I'm not asking for them to be docked marks just for having a lenient examiner, all I want is for the person correcting the papers to be aware that they had an extra 15 minutes that the other 55,000 or so didn't.

the corrector "being aware" they had extra wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

and anyway how can it be proved?

so unfair still..

the corrector "being aware" they had extra wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.
    Eh yes it would. For subjects like Business, English or History an extra fifteen minutes can be a huge advantage. That's an extra page in an English or history essay, an extra page that could quite possibly bring someone up a grade.
    and anyway how can it be proved?
    Exam centres are still going to be open next week. All they would have to do is make a surprise visit about five minutes before the exam is scheduled to start. Failing that, they could always ask the exam attendant outside the door, they're bound to know if something like that was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Oh my gawd man STFU! Don't be so bitter, the people that deserve their place will get it anyways and it won't be through random selection. And what about all the other examiners that dont hand out the papers until 9.30/2.00 on the dot?? They're losing out on precious few seconds that could cost them their college place!:rolleyes: Perhaps they should be encouraged to write to the SEC too and ask for a more lenient marking scheme... After all it's only fair :/

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

oh noes they got an extra 15 mins this is unfair hurr durr. It wont make a difference to the results or how well they have done chill out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Eh yes it would. For subjects like Business, English or History an extra fifteen minutes can be a huge advantage. That's an extra page in an English or history essay, an extra page that could quite possibly bring someone up a grade.

At the same time, the student could have finished 15 minutes before the end of the exam and not have left so they officially gave the booklet up at the finishing time. They used the exact time allotted but could still suffer if the corrector was made aware of the 15 minutes extra at the start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement