Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I'm sure they also thought it would never happen in the first place ;)

Anyway, being down for the few days hasnt bothered me too much, havent been at home much over the bank holiday weekend anyway. goona be picking up Mortal Kombat over the week, so once it back in the next day or 2 ill be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The only thing that is bothering me about this is that I cant activate my PC version of Portal 2. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I haven't been at home at all since it went down, so I'm happy that I'm not missing out on anything.

It better be working by Thursday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

We may be waiting for a while longer to get online....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/26/sony-playstation-network-down-ps3_n_853695.html

Sony's PlayStation Network, plagued by problems for days, is being shut down indefinitely, according to the Wall Street Journal.
    PlayStation tweeted a link to a blog post updating users on the situation.
    "I know you are waiting for additional information on when PlayStation Network and Qriocity services will be online. Unfortunately, I don’t have an update or timeframe to share at this point in time," wrote Patrick Seybold, Sony's senioer director of corporate communications and social media. "As we previously noted, this is a time intensive process and we’re working to get them back online quickly. We’ll keep you updated with information as it becomes available. We once again thank you for your patience."
    The Journal offers more insight, adding, "the Japanese electronics giant said it is keeping its PlayStation Network videogame service offline indefinitely following a hacking attack it now says may have compromised user’s information"
    Seybold had said in a blog post on April 21 that it could be " a full day or two" before the service was up and running again. Nearly a week later and the network is still inaccessible.
    Sony shut down its network following an "external intrusion" that may have put users' personal information at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

The only thing that is bothering me about this is that I cant activate my PC version of Portal 2. :(
    This, I am so sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Same here , just want to link my steam account.

Have been playing portal 2 single player for most of the psn down time and now I'm playing the gears of war 3 beta , so it's not been to much of a bother so far apart from the linking of the steam and psn accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

I had a feeling this was coming.
    if my credit card details are comprimised il blow a fcuking gasket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Clover wrote: »
    Same here , just want to link my steam account.

Have been playing portal 2 single player for most of the psn down time and now I'm playing the gears of war 3 beta , so it's not been to much of a bother so far apart from the linking of the steam and psn accounts.
    I'm resisting the temptation to start Portal 2 on the PS3. Want to playthrough it first on the PC though. Then go onto the PS3 straight after. But I cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Holy ****... This sucks big time....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I was going to pick up Portal 2 over the next day or two, will this prevent me activating it with steam for a PC copy as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

stevenmu wrote: »
    I was going to pick up Portal 2 over the next day or two, will this prevent me activating it with steam for a PC copy as well?

Yep. My friend got it for Playstation and wanted to download it for his laptop but can't.

I was thinking the exact same thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

This is way more serious than I ever expected - I haven't been online in a good few weeks so when I saw the notice a few days ago I figured it was routine maintenence....couldn't be further from the truth.

Whenever I hear customer information compromised - I shudder :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

So glad I used a 3v card!

It better be back online by the weekend!

Just get stuck into it on the ps3 , your missing out on some good head scratching fun .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    So glad I used a 3v card!

Same here,this sucks donkey balls if its true.

I removed my cc details from my account about six weeks ago , glad I did now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I hope they give me extra time for Qriocity due to this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Glad I have a gaming PC and xbox :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I'd say the only way personnel information could be compromised is if they switch PSN back on without rectifying the problem, then it may become an issue. That's why they are so reluctant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Why say 48 hours at the start if they didnt know how long it would take to be fixed?:confused:
    Sounds like it could be a few more days at least before it up maybe even weeks??:eek: There rebuilding the whole network so..:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I'd say the only way personnel information could be compromised is if they switch PSN back on without rectifying the problem, then it may become an issue. That's why they are so reluctant.

"hacking" into a system is one thing, knowing where to get certain details within it is another. So unless they had very basic and obvious labels setup on their DB, I doubt consumer details would be as much a problem.

They would be mainly saying they are concerned for the safety of consumer details, because "internet hacking" always gets people paranoid about their details.

Overall for me, it's the downtime that's proving to be tedious and annoying.

I've no fear of my consumer details...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Saw this on another forum:
    Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug (http://rebug.me). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

Edit #1: To those of you saying that this is speculation, you are correct. But, it is speculation based on a lot of facts and the outcome seems to make the most sense.
    1. Rebug was released on 3/31/11.
    2. First guides of how to use the dev network to get back on COD games on 4/3/11. 3. Word of "shady" sites finding a way to pirate PSN content via the dev networks on 4/7/11 (basing this on posts I had to delete on the website). 4. PSN goes down on 4/20/11

Now, you can believe Sony's PR team which has kept you completely in the dark, or you can see the list of events above and come to your own conclusion. Now, this isn't the first time Sony has fought back against the PS3 modders from getting on PSN. A couple of months ago we had a utility called f*ckPSN that changed the necessary header information that was being sent to Sony to allow modified consoles back online. We were able to use it for about a month. Then came the new TOS, the mass e-mail to PS3 customers, and software update 3.56 and 3.60. So, once again, yes this is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.

Edit #2: Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Amateurs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Why say 48 hours at the start if they didnt know how long it would take to be fixed?:confused:

I don't ever remember them giving a timeframe outside of "asap" and "days".

*shakes fist in general direction of hackers*

"Shake harder boy"

*shakes fist!

And i'd just bought MAG and was planning on getting portal tonight .. :( gehy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sony LOL.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That's a bit misdirected tbh, if the post above about CFWs is true then it's not hackers keeping people from the PSN, it's Sony themselves.

• Advertisement

That's a bit misdirected tbh, if the post above about CFWs is true then it's not hackers keeping people from the PSN, it's Sony themselves.
    I just wanna play!

*cries hysterically*

Advertisement