Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Alright folks, longtime boards user, going unreg for a few reasons (boring stuff - work etc.).

I know you've all heard this before, but you will recover (provided certain things are addressed). I've been a longtime sufferer (i hate saying it like that btw) of fairly severe depression (and by fairly severe, i mean that on the spectrum of depressive disorders there have been times when i was at the extreme end).

On paper, I've had the most successful and productive life I could have had, despite the crippling depression I have had to deal with (and still do deal with, every day). Severe clinical depression is something you wouldn't wish upon your worst enemy. It is simply the most devious, nasty, clever, and cruel foe anyone could ever have to face.

And whether you ended up with this illness (and it is an illness, go to any acute psychiatric ward for evidence) because of simple genetics, a stressful environment, childhood trauma, social isolation, alienation, or any of the other factors involved in causing this illness, it is very real.

And because it is very real, luckily, in this day and age of science and reason, it can be fixed to a measurable degree.

I battled for years with my depression (although i would never admit to being depressed oddly enough) through yoga, exercise, meditation, diet, tai chi, and general quackery. And one day, when I realised life was completely passing me by, I said 'fcuk it, let's give medical science a shot'.
    And so I started on a course of SSRIs. Of course, I felt even worse (which i didn't think possible) for the first 3-4 weeks, and as soon as i felt better I'd have a few days where i'd feel right back in it, this time with horrible side effects.

But I persisted. And I slowly got my life back. And then life was flippin great, so I thought 'ah i don't need these silly happy pills anymore' and in fact denied that the pills had done any good in the first place, and off I went on my merry way.
    Two years later, I hit my second depressive episode. And again I fought and fought to delude myself that there was nothing wrong with me that an apple and a workout wouldn't fix. Eventually, after being acutely suicidal for about 3 weeks, I reluctantly went back on to the SSRI I had been on before. And lo and behold a few months later, everything was right where i wanted and so I stopped taking the pills.

4 months after that, another episode, and the whole rigmarole again. After noticing the not-so-subtle pattern emerging, I resigned myself to going back on the medication for an indefinite length of time.

That was 5 years ago. I got better, much better, over the next 9 months or so, and pretty much did everything I ever wanted to do in the years after. I'd have the odd week or so where I would be so utterly depressed I couldn't get out of bed, but overall, these depressions were more managable and crucially, shorter than the episodes I had when I was younger.

Anywho I'm rambling here. I think my main point here is, that depression is very real, very common (talk to any GP or pharmacist about where most of their business comes from), and crucially, VERY treatable.

That last point there is the reason many people feel fobbed off by doctors when they are in the grips of despair and all the doctor wants to do is write you a prescription for some pills that seem at first to make everything worse. The unfortunate thing about the SSRIs as a drug class is the onset of action. Realistically you're talking AT LEAST 21 days before any noticeable effect comes about.
    21 days when you are in the grip of severe depression seems like a lifetime. And even then, you don't get well overnight. Just when you get some glimmer of hope, the whole thing falls apart temporarily and it's more crushing than before, because now you think 'look i was fine yesterday and then this happened, i'm totally fcuked'.

And you're running to the doctors saying 'ffs i feel awful, i feel worse, wtf is wrong with me?', but they want to persist for another few weeks, and then re-assess. And you might end up having to change medication and do the whole thing again. It's exhausting even to think about.

But there are some things that make it slightly better.....exercise (and by exercise I mean really going hell for leather), attempting to keep some semblance of a normal sleeping pattern, a good diet (difficult when you have zero appetite i know), and some sort of therapy (CBT etc) just to give you that edge to hang on and pull through.

And there are things that make it worse.....isolation, drinking (can't emphasise that enough), drugs, and being reminded that the world is a fairly messed up place (so put your current affairs interest on hold - news of child massacres/lying politicians/national economic misery isn't going to help your condition one bit).

But hard as it is to believe it, people don't only recover from depression, they live fuller, better lives post-recovery than they ever would have had they not been struck with such an horrific illness. When you've been down in that hole of despair, you make promises to yourself that if you ever make it out of here, you're going to appreciate every day like it's a divine blessing.

Anywho, I've completely tangented here, but just want to say 'hang in there folks, get yourself a good doctor, and above all else, do not give up because it WILL get better with the right approach'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

jammstarr wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that it's 100% useless however I did go through both CBT and two counsellors and found that it didn't really help me. I wasn't on medication at the time of the CBT so hard to know whether or not I was able to give it my all.

It's all about finding the right person to talk to. Plus there never will be answers, you do realise that the outcome of counselling is never going to be, "oh, fix these two or three things and all will be well". I don't mean to sound condescending when I say that but it's always gonna be a process and counselling just helps you reflect on some of the reasons for why you feel like **** I suppose. It can be like opening a can of worms, it is with me, every time I go I find out something else about myself that's a cause/issue and it can be demoralising but it's getting over that hump that's the toughest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

It's all about finding the right person to talk to. Plus there never will be answers, you do realise that the outcome of counselling is never going to be, "oh, fix these two or three things and all will be well". I don't mean to sound condescending when I say that but it's always gonna be a process and counselling just helps you reflect on some of the reasons for why you feel like **** I suppose. It can be like opening a can of worms, it is with me, every time I go I find out something else about myself that's a cause/issue and it can be demoralising but it's getting over that hump that's the toughest.

I know what ya mean. When I finally got around to seeing my psychologist I was expecting him to wave a "magic wand" to cure me but I was quickly told that wasn't the case. It was a bit disappointing to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

You find the right counsellor and things can be amazing!

First counselor I ever went to I hated, didn't even make a second appointment. I remember she asked me how it felt to feel lonely :confused: I wasn't in the right frame of mind for counselling at the time and she just came off like a dope to me.

Second counselor I did a full 8 week course with, and while she did help me some, I just didn't feel that bond with her. It was in my final year of college, so about 2 years ago, and I genuinely can't remember her name. Pauline or Pamela or something, thats how much of an impression she left on me. She did help me with issues I was going through at the time somewhat so she was good.

The private counselor that treated me for depression last year was the best. She just had a great personality, great attitude. I used to look forward to our sessions cause it was like chatting to a good friend, she made it so easy. She really made me feel good about myself and decisions I had made. I'll remember things we discussed forever.

Currently seeing two counselors in my group sessions for eating disorder and they are both great. Really relatable and easy going. Today is my last group session and will begin one on one counselling with one of them soon, and I'm looking forward to it, know we will work well together.

If you like your counselor you will want to talk to them, want to listen to their advice. I think often people train as psychologists because they are super smart, but personality really has a lot to do it with also. You go to someone who doesn't give anything back and you don't feel comfortable with them, you won't give them anything to work with.

Your own frame of mind has a lot to do with it also. I was treated for depression with 2 counselors and barely ever brought up my issues with food and weight because I wasn't ready to deal with and fix them at the time. You have to want to work on counseling and be willing to make the effort and believe it will work for you.

Your own frame of mind has a lot to do with it also. I was treated for depression with 2 counselors and barely ever brought up my issues with food and weight because I wasn't ready to deal with and fix them at the time. You have to want to work on counseling and be willing to make the effort and believe it will work for you.

I'm my own worst enemy. I'm the most negative lad you'll ever come across. Finding it so hard to get out of the negative funk but I know it's the only way I'll ever get anywhere.

The psychologist doesn't know about half the stuff with me. I always just say "I'm grand" as it's easier to carry one than face up to stuff.

• Advertisement

jammstarr wrote: »
    I know what ya mean. When I finally got around to seeing my psychologist I was expecting him to wave a "magic wand" to cure me but I was quickly told that wasn't the case. It was a bit disappointing to say the least.

There is no cure dude, I don't think so anyway. You're probably gonna spend your whole life battling it. But I don't mean that in a slightly negative way, remember that being who you are defines you, if you weren't that way you wouldn't be the person your family and friends love. It's all about finding a way to cope, some tactics to deal with issues.

Princess Peach mentioned group sessions there in relation to eating disorders, does anyone know of any for just general anxiety/depression? I think I might benefit myself from something like that as I find counselling is great but it's not enough and I'm sick of using friends/partners as therapists and dragging myself down the whole time. Cheers guys :)

Princess Peach mentioned group sessions there in relation to eating disorders, does anyone know of any for just general anxiety/depression? I think I might benefit myself from something like that as I find counselling is great but it's not enough and I'm sick of using friends/partners as therapists and dragging myself down the whole time. Cheers guys :)

Check out Aware and also Grow: they both run group sessions all over the country.

Will do, cheers dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I go to one in my college, its my first time doing group sessions and I really like them. Great to be able to talk with people who really understand what your going through. Like its great to talk to family and friends, but in group when you mention something you do/think that others find silly and hard to understand, someone in the group will say "Oh me too." Makes you feel normal!

Might see what other kind of group sessions are offered now that I have finished this one.

Yeh, because my only real experience of discussing it is with people who don't understand. Chatting about it on here has really helped. I can't do group sessions in the college though as I teach as well and there's confidentiality issues there but will see about doing one of the local ones!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

not feeling so great now. i feel like i'm constantly fighting with my own beliefs that he's not that interested in me. no point looking for jobs, can't get any. fleeting thoughts of ending it. just seems to make sense.i don't want to keep fighting. i just want to feel like he's interested. what am i meant to do

I told you in another post that you should stick at it if you think it's worth it. But if you equally don't think you're in a place to have a relationship then there's no shame in taking a step back, admitting defeat temporarily. If he really likes you then I'm sure he'd support you doing what you feel is right to get help. If you're like me you won't know what the right decision is and probably never will but coming to terms with that is probably part of your problems as well.

Have you asked him what he wants?

but do I continue feeling completely neglected? if there was a chance of it making sense I'd like to think I'd have found the reason for it by now. the only reason is he's ok with not talking to me, and not seeing me. and he'll say he is. and we'll go round in circles.

He said yesterday he wants to stay together. and I assume that means taking me as I am for now, but I still hate bringing this stuff up all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Mine is clinical depression which I find so hard because its always going to be there
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noah45 viewpost.gif
    Feeling down and binging :(
    Even though the weather is good still feel motivation-less, don't want to do anything.

On 300mg venlafaxine (Effexor)and 100mg bupropion (Wellbutrin) in am and Agomelatine (Valdoxan)in pmWhen will I ever feel normal?

You'll feel normal when you're ready....it can take ages or just a few months.

It's all a matter of perspective - how you look at yourself. If you don't feel good on your current meds, it would be a good idea to speak to you psych/therapist. It can take a while to get the correct prescription but by your post you really need better contact with someone you can talk to properly. Are you working with a therapist or CBT?

My meds are under review the last few months and I see the psy every 4 weeks to see how Im getting on.

All I want is to stay in bed and eat:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've shrank :( I've seen a photo of myself from 2006, and looking now... its so different. Obviously it would be , but. I used to be so big. And i just can't eat, i can't. But for my height im not a healthy weight, so im told.

but do I continue feeling completely neglected? if there was a chance of it making sense I'd like to think I'd have found the reason for it by now. the only reason is he's ok with not talking to me, and not seeing me. and he'll say he is. and we'll go round in circles.

He said yesterday he wants to stay together. and I assume that means taking me as I am for now, but I still hate bringing this stuff up all the time.

Why do you feel neglected?

And you can only take his word for it. And what's better, bottling it up inside or discussing it? I know it can become dominant conversation and be impossible to escape it, that happens with me. Do you constantly feel like you have to discuss it when he's around? Medication could help with that, allowing it to pass like. The physical symptoms of anxiety that is. Meds help me with that but not with the depression unfortunately.

Why do you feel neglected?

And you can only take his word for it. And what's better, bottling it up inside or discussing it? I know it can become dominant conversation and be impossible to escape it, that happens with me. Do you constantly feel like you have to discuss it when he's around? Medication could help with that, allowing it to pass like. The physical symptoms of anxiety that is. Meds help me with that but not with the depression unfortunately.

I just had big chunks of the day where i didn't hear from him.

bottling it up is meant to keep me from saying the same things to him over and over. especially when there's no solution.

i have to discuss it when i'm around him. i physically cannot stop myself being annoyed. but when we're together this problem isn't a problem, cause we spend days together. i just can't handle the lack of contact.

i'm on medication. it helps a bit with the anxiety a bit.

Hearing from him is a text, an email? Do you objectively view that as him neglecting you or do you actually see that as an issue? I'm not criticising, just curious.

And I know what you mean, you feel like you're repeating it but there's no solution, he can't provide the answers. Knock on effect of that is the reaction he might have, either trying too hard or whatever, I know what that's like, constantly happens to me, it's horrible, people not being themselves because of what you're saying!

And what's the annoyance about? At yourself?

Hearing from him is a text, an email? Do you objectively view that as him neglecting you or do you actually see that as an issue? I'm not criticising, just curious.

And I know what you mean, you feel like you're repeating it but there's no solution, he can't provide the answers. Knock on effect of that is the reaction he might have, either trying too hard or whatever, I know what that's like, constantly happens to me, it's horrible, people not being themselves because of what you're saying!

And what's the annoyance about? At yourself?

a text or pm. it's both, it's my way of looking out for someone not liking me, but when i'm more clear headed (/confident,which I can be sometimes) I can look at times like today and think i should've been much calmer about it. though i do still feel the same. I am just more open to accepting there may have been genuine reasons.

i'm annoyed at myself for having such low self esteem, but at the same time i'm' annoyed at him for not trying harder, i think he should know better by now that i'm needy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Starting to feel crap again, once I'm keeping busy I'm ok but even stop for a few minutes and I realise how crap life seems. It's generally a feeling of utter loneliness but incredibly oppressive.

Just out of interest, does anyone else find they talk to themselves? I notice I do it a fair bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Gillo wrote: »
    Starting to feel crap again, once I'm keeping busy I'm ok but even stop for a few minutes and I realise how crap life seems. It's generally a feeling of utter loneliness but incredibly oppressive.

Just out of interest, does anyone else find they talk to themselves? I notice I do it a fair bit.

I talk to myself all the time. And I don't even realize I'm doing it, I'l hear someone talking, and realize its me :/

That's like me, half the time I don't even know I'm doing it.

a text or pm. it's both, it's my way of looking out for someone not liking me, but when i'm more clear headed (/confident,which I can be sometimes) I can look at times like today and think i should've been much calmer about it. though i do still feel the same. I am just more open to accepting there may have been genuine reasons.

i'm annoyed at myself for having such low self esteem, but at the same time i'm' annoyed at him for not trying harder, i think he should know better by now that i'm needy

But if he feeds that low self esteem by constantly getting in touch perhaps doesn't that, in the long run, make it more difficult to overcome that?

Don't worry about, you still have a clear and coherent sense of reality right? If it's just an outloud version of the normal internal dialogue then that's completely normal. Everyone does that.

But if he feeds that low self esteem by constantly getting in touch perhaps doesn't that, in the long run, make it more difficult to overcome that?

i don't know. i'd have other ways the issue would come up. but this is draining me all the time. i know the problem is me. and i know i'd have other issues.

i don't know. i'd have other ways the issue would come up. but this is draining me all the time. i know the problem is me. and i know i'd have other issues.

But sure that's normal, you'll always find something to pick on, isn't that what it's all about? It's being able to just accept that. That's what I'm trying to get at anyway.

Don't worry about, you still have a clear and coherent sense of reality right? If it's just an outloud version of the normal internal dialogue then that's completely normal. Everyone does that.
    I've a perfect grip on reality, it's not internal dialogue though, it's often pretty morbid yet random stuff which I wasn't thinking that just pop out. Frued would have a field day with me.

But sure that's normal, you'll always find something to pick on, isn't that what it's all about? It's being able to just accept that. That's what I'm trying to get at anyway.

but i just mean that for now at least if this wasn't there things would be better. i don't know what to do. i've spoken to him about this in general before and it's still not enough. i mean he's not even working today so i dunno why it has to be so little contact. it has me physically on edge all day long.

I've a perfect grip on reality, it's not internal dialogue though, it's often pretty morbid yet random stuff which I wasn't thinking that just pop out. Frued would have a field day with me.

Hmmm, never experienced that but maybe others have! Sure it's normal though :)

• Advertisement

but i just mean that for now at least if this wasn't there things would be better. i don't know what to do. i've spoken to him about this in general before and it's still not enough. i mean he's not even working today so i dunno why it has to be so little contact. it has me physically on edge all day long.

That's just not healthy though. I'm not judging you for feeling that way but seriously, you can't be sitting around on edge waiting for someone to contact you in that way. I do it too, especially if it's in the flirting/early stages of something but after a point contact eases up.

Is it that you just want to know he's thinking about you? Can you not turn that time when you're alone into a time just for yourself. Where you completely push him out of mind and just do things for you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement