Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible stone & bronze age axe heads?

Options
  • 10-08-2014 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Just came across this forum and it has really piqued my interest in our archaeological heritage. It reminded me of a couple of "family heirlooms" that have been in the family since before I was born, specifically one metallic and one stone axe head. Was home recently and had a look at both & took some pics.

I'm pretty sure the metallic one is bronze; it doesn't attract a magnet and I can see some slight green rust which I assume is caused by copper oxidization.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The stone one I'm less sure about, I've seen plenty of stones all over the place that look similar.

image.jpg

image.jpg

There does seem to some kind of scar on one side of it (pic 4) that doesn't appear natural to me but then again I'm a complete amateur, so if anyone can take a look and let us know what you think it would be great!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The 'axe' is a later Bronze age looped palstave (1050 - 950 BC).
    It's a bit difficult to say anything about the stone. Can you post an image or two of it in profile?
    It appears to be granite which would be unusual enough but it could be an unpolished rough out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Was talking to my brother who is a geologist, he says the presence of muscovite in the granite indicates the stone was most likely sourced in the Wicklow mountains around Blessington.

Hopefully I'll be finding out soon where it was actually found. Of course, it mightn't even be an axe-head in which case none of that even matters!

Here are some more pics anyway:

Wider end:

image.jpg

Pointy end:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Advertisement