Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toy and charity shops

• 08-08-2012 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Any charity shops that will accept toys in good condition? Everyone I call has said no. I'm willing to go as far as Dungarvan. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The Open Door charity shop in Michael street (next door to paddy power) accept toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Jamerican wrote: »
    Any charity shops that will accept toys in good condition? Everyone I call has said no. I'm willing to go as far as Dungarvan. Thanks
    Some creches accept them. i asked myself while in one recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

The women's refuge may be another option, children often leave toys behind when they flee their home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

deisemum wrote: »
    The women's refuge may be another option, children often leave toys behind when they flee their home.

That's actually a really nice suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jamerican

That's actually a really nice suggestion.
    It really is, but I had called them earlier and they don't accept toys as donations. They do accept clothes though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

There's a charity shop - I think it's called St Bridget's - just off the Tramore Road across the way from Lidl. Worth maybe giving them a call.

I've just remembered the paediatric ward in WRH will take toys that can be wiped and disinfected but not things that cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Im sure the St Vincent de Paul would take them.

Im sure the St Vincent de Paul would take them.

They like then new preferably in boxes or packaging they came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

deisemum wrote: »
    They like then new preferably in boxes or packaging they came in.

Pfft beggers can't be choosers.
    Jesus when I was a child , which wasn't to many moons ago, I got the ould hand me downs Christmas presents that I could swear I played in my friends houses a while before Christmas. Seems charity got caught up in the ould Celtic tiger.
    Fook that shyte.
    I'll stick with supporting DSI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,941 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am nothing to do with the StVdP, but look at it from their point of view. They take in second hand toys. They then have to use their volunteers to sort out and (pay to) get rid of the rubbish.

I am not suggesting that the OP's toys are not good, but people do use charity drops as refuse collection.

They then have to go through the toys and check for parts missing and broken, and make sure they are clean. We have all seen how lego and similar toys can collect grot, teeth marks etc.

Yes, maybe it is a product of the celtic tiger, but if a child is being given a gift for Christmas can they not have something fresh and new? Half the pleasure of a new toy is extracting all the bits from their little packages! If parents want to go to a charity shop and pick up a toy that they are prepared themselves to check over, that's fine, but StVdP are in a rather different situation.

Advertisement