Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

My god I'm glad I got the trial and didn't buy it off the bat, after only 5 minutes playing one thing really bothers me, the game plays from the start like the moon gravity cheat from the old games is switched on , you get way too much air off the pipes.

I'll play a bit more and see if I can deal with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The early reviews (not from the most reliable sources, granted) are tepid to say the least: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/bailing-hard-in-our-tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-review/

I also can't believe they didn't include the revert, and it's only coming as DLC with the THPS3 content! Leaves a bad taste, that sort of nonsense.

Grinds and manuals are crazy easy to hold too, now I'm just thinking maybe the fact im playing the demo that Tony's stats are maxed or something???? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The demo has actually inspired me to pick up Skate 3 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The early reviews (not from the most reliable sources, granted) are tepid to say the least: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/bailing-hard-in-our-tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-review/

I also can't believe they didn't include the revert, and it's only coming as DLC with the THPS3 content! Leaves a bad taste, that sort of nonsense.

Crap, not too good

• Advertisement

The demo has actually inspired me to pick up Skate 3 instead.

I was gonna get Skate 3 earlier this year but said I would hold out for THPS HD. If you get Skate 3, let us know if it's any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Watched a video of it and there's only 7 levels? And one of them is from that terrible Downhill Jam game? That's pathetic

edit: Downhill Jam is a level from tony hawk 1 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

ShaneU wrote: »
    Watched a video of it and there's only 7 levels? And one of them is from that terrible Downhill Jam game? That's pathetic

It's Activision. They'll be selling DLC levels for months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't think seven levels for a cheap downloadable game is all that unexpected. Was made known from the outset it would be built upon by DLC.

But the more I read, there's certainly a layer of cynicism to this project (the absence of revert is appalling), and by the sounds of it it doesn't deliver a hell of a lot to counter it. Definitely waiting for more reactions before picking it up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Ah I have been dying to finish work to get home and download this, Ya's are after putting a downer on me day!!!!

Is it really dissapointing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Balls... I was really looking forward to this.
    I'll try the demo for myself and make my own mind up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I don't think seven levels for a cheap downloadable game is all that unexpected. Was made known from the outset it would be built upon by DLC.

But the more I read, there's certainly a layer of cynicism to this project (the absence of revert is appalling), and by the sounds of it it doesn't deliver a hell of a lot to counter it. Definitely waiting for more reactions before picking it up anyway.

Was the revert not first introduced in Tony Hawk's 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I was gonna get Skate 3 earlier this year but said I would hold out for THPS HD. If you get Skate 3, let us know if it's any good.
    The skate series is great fun. I preferred 2 to 3, but 3 is still solid. I think you can get it from HMV for less than €25.

It's a pity THPSHD is disappointing people :( The nostalgia-hype must have been too much.

Mr E wrote: »
    Balls... I was really looking forward to this.
    I'll try the demo for myself and make my own mind up. :)

The demo doesn't even give you a full two minute run, it ends around 1.30 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The demo doesn't even give you a full two minute run, it ends around 1.30 :pac:

THOSE MOTHERFCUKERS!!! :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I got into Tony Hawk (and indeed the Playstation console) after getting a demo disc from a agmes magazine. It had 2 levels and a few characters. Played it non stop for a month with a housemate at the time. Always trying to beat each others scores.

Really disappointing to read the poor reviews :(

It's as bad as the review say. I would have been more critical of it though.

Stuff like grinding or attempting to jump to grind a pipe and getting launched like a rag doll is baffling no idea whats going on there. The initial moon gravity i mentioned in the demo was because I was playing as tony some of the others play like lead balloons in the air. Landing is 50/50 most of the time.

Another problem is that you can't manually move the camera with the right stick making it difficult to see pick ups and you have to skate away from it to see it before skating back and picking your spot to ramp up to it :mad:

No free skate that I can see, no access to track listing to change songs, no access to the gap list from with in the game it can only be viewed on the main menu :confused:

I wish neversoft had made this instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

All this negative reaction is making me think twice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Decent review on IGN gets my hopes up.

Revert is coming in future DLC. With the content that's in here (and the fact that DLC is incoming), I think 800 would have been a much more palatable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Revert is coming in future DLC. With the content that's in here (and the fact that DLC is incoming), I think 800 would have been a much more palatable price.

Yeah because depending on how much they bundle with it I can see the THPS3 DLC being 800 points, more if they add in some THPS4 stuff

• Advertisement

I'm speechless after reading that farce of a review :eek:

The earlier link to a review posted in this thread was much closer to the mark imo.

Can't disagree with any of that, reviewer is spot on.

Ah this sucks, waiting months to get my hands on this, now I'm not pushed at all. Will give the demo a go anyway when it's out for PS3 but this is disappointing to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No revert? What kind of fúckery is that?
    The gravity feels odd, the game is slow, it takes way too long to recover, you’ll frequently glitch out into space after bailing, and encounter lots of frustrating moments due to changes the game made over the originals. Above all, the game just isn’t fun. It’s frustrating.
    the game doesn’t let you change what song is playing
    There is also no move list
    There is no fanfare at the end of career mode. It just kind of ends without even telling you.

Was excited about this but after reading that review, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Back to Skate it is

Found the in game gaps list, pause and rb twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭Julez

Is it just me or is the frame rate terrible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Yeah didn't enjoy the demo myself, pity as I was really looking forward to it!

Advertisement