Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭agfasfos

Hi Folks. Thinking of buying a Lexus 300 GS 2002. I have a Volvo 2.0T 2004 but looking for an automatic & cruise control. Cityview Car Sales in Tallaght have one that looks in good nick, would it be a wise move ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That one seems to be on winter tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

agfasfos wrote: »
    Hi Folks. Thinking of buying a Lexus 300 GS 2002. I have a Volvo 2.0T 2004 but looking for an automatic & cruise control. Cityview Car Sales in Tallaght have one that looks in good nick, would it be a wise move ?.

I presume you are comfortable with the extra motor tax on the GS300? A garage may still want money their way even if trading a 04 S60 for a 02 GS300.

max €1900....what are the costs like from getting a car over here from england?

Being honest I don't think it is worth the expense and time going to the UK for a car of this value. Getting there and back will cost a good chunk of the value of the car.

What about this:

27604330.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-2001/6138710

or this one:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-01/6791538

Thanks bazz, the garage would be looking between €1000 - €1500 plus the Volvo, do you think the Lexus are reliable ?, just seem to have every luxury even for 2002.

• Advertisement

No way I'd give that much along with the volvo.
    Given the choice I know they'd rather have the volvo, as they have 10 times more chance of selling it than the 3.0 Lexus.

That makes sense colm, will see whats the best deal I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pippin04

Hi folks,
    Been looking at upgrading for a while now and it's my step up from the little starter car ('01 Peugeot 106 with 73000 miles on the clock) so I'm a little clueless with everything...
    Went to look at a 2010 Ford Fiesta in a dealer earlier, 3 door model with 34000 miles. Minor damage on the front when I viewed which they said would be repaired, to be put through NCT by then and new tyres to be fitted.
    My concern is that when I opened the car bonnet the engine was really really dirty with lots of thick dust on it - I asked had it been lying up and they said for a little while but nothing major. Looked inside the glove box and it seems it's been brought it from NI too.
    Little torn on what to do, the deal seems quite good - €8000 for it with parking sensors & 1 year warranty from the dealer (asking price was €9250) but the dust is putting me off. Am I mad to be concerned about some dirt on the engine?
    Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!!

There are plenty of second hand Fiestas for sale, go look at a few more. With the amount of them around you can afford to be a little fussy and wait for the right one.

This one has tiny mileage and looks very clean:

media?xwm=y&id=37b9f1ea-0e2b-4270-8138-da42323fa18f&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Ford/Fiesta/1.25-Style/42713936030748790/

• Advertisement

Thanks Bazz26, guess there's no point in rushing into it. Felt like I was getting quite a good offer on my car but I'll have a look round at a few more places see what they're like. Appreciate the reply!

pippin04 wrote: »
    Thanks Bazz26, guess there's no point in rushing into it. Felt like I was getting quite a good offer on my car but I'll have a look round at a few more places see what they're like. Appreciate the reply!

Cost to change is the key here.

A 13 year old car is going to be worth very little to a dealer and in reality you are getting next to nothing for it against the Fiesta. You will probably buy the Fiesta for similar money without trading your 106. You will do much better selling it privately, with such low mileage it will appeal to a first time buyer.

Thanks Bazz26, will take all that on board. There's no huge rush on me so I'll wait for the right deal and be a bit more fussy (and hopefully get better at this game!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Thoughts/views/experiences on 1.9tdi Vw jettas 06/07 type????

Thanks in advance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Thoughts/views/experiences on 1.9tdi Vw jettas 06/07 type????

Thanks in advance

Theyre a golf with a boot. Same old stories allover the net on them...get googling...key things is to get one not clocked, full service history, in good order, good healthy turbo clutch flywheel egr injectors, window regulators, all electrics, not takin in water in the cabin...usual usual vag stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Hi There

I want to buy a 08/09/10 Audi A4.

If the right one came along, I'd consider a 5 door A5.

Any hints / tips would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Larry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Hi There

I want to buy a 08/09/10 Audi A4.

If the right one came along, I'd consider a 5 door A5.

Any hints / tips would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Larry

Deja vu!😄😄😄😄😄

Same old stories allover the net on them...get googling...key things is to get one not clocked, full service history, in good order, good healthy turbo clutch flywheel egr injectors, window regulators, all electrics, not takin in water in the cabin...usual usual vag stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Guffy

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-renault-megane-nct-2-15-quick-sale/6868312

What should I be looking for with this one guys. I currently have a 2002 focus that needs a new clutch (450) so I'm thinking I'm better off getting another car altogether, although clutch is the only problem. What should I look for specifically with a megan (I don't remember renaults electrics being great) and specifically with this car. Timing belt is all I can think of off hand?

I'd rather spend my money on a new clutch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

New clutch for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Guffy

Cheers lads. Knew myself tbh but ya know wen ya just want a change... ya know cause it will fix all of life's problems :p

I can assure you buying a thousand euro Megane will do nothing of the sort

I can assure you buying a thousand euro Megane will do nothing of the sort

It will put your existing problems in perspective though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It will put your existing problems in perspective though.

LOL... Lifelessons to be found in used Renaults.

That Yaris looks as rough as a bears behind!

If you are happy enough with the looks you're probably best off with getting a Micra, should be more reliable than the equivalent Micra and Clio.

Stay away from the Yaris at that budget, you're more than likely going to end up with muck.

The red micra tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The red micra tbh.

No power steering, should i still go for it?

• Advertisement

No power steering, should i still go for it?

Christ no. Missus had one and they're a pain.

Buy this
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/daihatsu-sirion-1litre-with-nct/6837328

Advertisement