Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charolais bulls in Dovea

• 28-04-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone going to try or tried LSP (Liscally ETI) ?

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Liscally-Eti1.jpg[/SIZE][/FONT]

Stuck him in a Ped charolais cow yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

was thinking bout using him alrite .I used CXY from dovea on 3 cows last year .Calfs were born in the last month and very happy with them.Also used PIO from dovea on 4 cows . 1 has calfed amd hes going to be a huge weanling

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Cloverfield-Excellent.jpg[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Cloverfield-Excellent.jpg[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Yes if he's by domino, he's a good bull. Through pirate into the mix aswell and you've onto a winner ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »
    Anyone going to try or tried LSP (Liscally ETI) ?

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Liscally-Eti1.jpg[/SIZE][/FONT]

Stuck him in a Ped charolais cow yesterday.

will you have to semen royalty fees if you register a calf by him ?

will you have to pay semen royalty fees if you register a calf by him ?

I paid €30 for to get her Ai'd. I assumed that some of that was towards that.

If i have a whopper of a live calf out of her next January I won't mind if I've a few extra pound to pay. I don't think I will though. Perhaps somebody else knows?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

I paid €30 for to get her Ai'd. I assumed that some of that was towards that.

If i have a whopper of a live calf out of her next January I won't mind if I've a few extra pound to pay. I don't think I will though. Perhaps somebody else knows?

One thing about CXY. He definitely needs a tall cow, to get the best out of his offspring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I haven't used any of the new bulls at Dovea yet but a bull I used, and bred well for us is Roundhill Doc (RHI). Not hard calved, and a lot of style to the calves. I would think on good second calvers he would work well.

Bizzum wrote: »
    I haven't used any of the new bulls at Dovea yet but a bull I used, and bred well for us is Roundhill Doc (RHI). Not hard calved, and a lot of style to the calves. I would think on good second calvers he would work well.

RHI was my first choice ;) He hadn't any in the tank so decided to chance LSP. Fingers crossed I won't be disappointed :rolleyes:

There's alot of truth to what the AI man said to me... you need to be trying new upcoming bulls when pedigree breeding as alot of older bull genes already in the suckler herd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Figerty

I have a PIO weanling calf and he is a big lad, show calf from a Charlois cow,,, problem was getting him out, had to section.
    Choose him for easy calving cows, but he has a massive arse and hips.

was thinking bout using him alrite .I used CXY from dovea on 3 cows last year .Calfs were born in the last month and very happy with them.Also used PIO from dovea on 4 cows . 1 has calfed amd hes going to be a huge weanling

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

CXY is really producing the goods according to a local AI man, says they hes the best Charolais bull Dovea have shape and style, LSP is a super looking bull i seen him at Tullamore show before they bought him,breeding well aswel i heard, i have used Alibaba and Furey Action in the last 2 years both hard enough calved,i liked Alibaba the best good long shapey calves light boned though.

I used TZA and the culard LANZAC in the past,both bred good cattle on the right cow. i heard LSP had a price tag of in the region of €20,000, so their is a lot expected from him.

• Advertisement

I think a pedigree royalty of about €30 apply s at time of registration, im not 100% sure on this.

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    used Fury Action in the last 2 years both hard enough calved

What did you make of the Fury Action calves apart from them hard calved?
    I think a pedigree royalty of about €30 apply s at time of registration, im not 100% sure on this.

The Society stop the fee at registration alright. Different bulls have different royalty fees. The AI stations often have a list of the fees. In a way I'd sooner this than paying a premium up front for the straw. At least you only pay once,when the straw is a success!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭whymeagain

i`ve a bull out of cottage devon a rat of a calf out of a good pb cow, i got an invoice for 75 euro for registering him . not worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

I had a RHI heifer calf in December out of a CF52 fourth calver . Very small born and still isnt wonderful . :(

Richk2012 wrote: »
    I had a RHI heifer calf in December out of a CF52 fourth calver . Very small born and still isnt wonderful . :(

Your right. He aint the biggest bull in the world. The cow would want to have a bit of size in her ideally.
    52 probably wouldn't be bringing much size to the party!

The calves were fine, good enough but not what one would expect from such an impressive looking bull,and mine were off good wide powerful sucklers.

I also have a RHI PB bull calf off an CF52 cow lovely shapey calf but wont be big enough.

The calves were fine, good enough but not what one would expect from such an impressive looking bull,and mine were off good wide powerful sucklers.

I also have a RHI PB bull calf off an CF52 cow lovely shapey calf but wont be big enough.

I had an rhi bull there last year, was a bit disappointed in him to be honest all along but he kinda turned inside out when he was about 13 or 14 months of age there during the winter, he was easy calved but he looked like he was going to turn into a big bull before he was sold

i have used Alibaba. I liked Alibaba the best good long shapey calves light boned though.

Good to know Bigbird1 ;) I had him ear marked aswel. Good outcross pedigree too

Can I just say, I like this idea of separating talk about AI bulls into the various AI stations. Twas someone else that started the tread about PG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Can I just say, I like this idea of separating talk about AI bulls into the various AI stations. Twas someone else that started the tread about PG.

Have you any expierence on Crossmolina Euro Muckit ??

• Advertisement

No sorry I don't. He looks an impressive bull though.

Good to know Bigbird1 ;) I had him ear marked aswel. Good outcross pedigree too
    alibaba is a very muscley bull, his daughters wont have much milk i`ve a lovely hiefer out of him, her mother has a good strain of milk, i`ll chance her for a cow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

whymeagain wrote: »
    alibaba is a very muscley bull,.....
    S741, 24% calving difficulty, be afraid, be very afraid...........:D

pakalasa wrote: »
    S741, 24% calving difficulty, be afraid, be very afraid...........:D
    i had no bother calving a big cow second calver

whymeagain wrote: »
    alibaba is a very muscley bull, his daughters wont have much milk

Yes, this is the thing. I'd prefer to compromise on other traits to breed good milk in. Heifers with no milk are no good to me ;) Have to think long term

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

AI man is recomending Thronton Bonjovi as an easy Calver has anyone have any experience of Him

essgee268 wrote: »
    AI man is recomending Thronton Bonjovi as an easy Calver has anyone have any experience of Him

my ai man says the same, put a maiden in calf to him (hopefullly :rolleyes:)
    there a week or 2 back. more of this semen royalty with him though

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Have you any expierence on Crossmolina Euro Muckit ??

I don't think crossmolina euro is breeding as expected,saying that i haven't seen anything from him. i could be wrong but did someone on boards breed the bull??

OSI would be a good bull for a heifer easy calving anyway calf may lack a bit of class but i seen calves by him off good sucklers and i was impressed, also a PB bull by him would sell well from an ease of calving point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

is he as easy calving as his figures sugest? if so very easy calved for a charolais. He wouldnt need to be breeding show stoppers if they were halfway decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

my ai man says the same, put a maiden in calf to him (hopefullly :rolleyes:)
    there a week or 2 back. more of this semen royalty with him though
    he seems to be breeding ok.... lets face it there aint many new options on the easy calving front in charos

Advertisement