Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Technology- Speed Required?

• 29-03-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, i'm doing Music Technology as an Option in my Practical and am not sure of the speed required to input the piece and complete edits etc. My Teacher is out tomorrow so I need to figure out as soon as possible how fast I should be at the piece.

I'm currently able to set up the Sheet, and input 48 bars (4 systems at 12 bars each), complete my edits (Change tempo, key and input performing dynamics) and perform the save, open and print in 5 minutes 8 seconds. Is this fast enough? If not how fast should it be? I desperately need an A in Music and this is very easy marks if performed correctly!

Thanks for any replies in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Ok I may be drastically wrong on this but I think I remember my teacher saying we had 15 mins to input and edit our score? :eek: If this isn't right I need to get practicing quick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I've heard that you don't have to imput the whole thing, they'll tell you to stop once they've a clear idea that you know your stuff? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Yeah our music teacher says they'll generally stop you after the first four bars of whatever line you're inputting and then ask you to go onto the next instrument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Ok I may be drastically wrong on this but I think I remember my teacher saying we had 15 mins to input and edit our score? :eek: If this isn't right I need to get practicing quick :pac:

Oh well if we have 15 minutes i'm sorted then! I'm gonna do Technology before my pieces to get the nerves out of the way I think!
    leaveiton wrote: »
    Yeah our music teacher says they'll generally stop you after the first four bars of whatever line you're inputting and then ask you to go onto the next instrument.

Cool, i'll probably do it all in 2/3 minutes giving me more time for my Pieces anyway!
    M&S* wrote: »
    I've heard that you don't have to imput the whole thing, they'll tell you to stop once they've a clear idea that you know your stuff? :(

Yeah I remember my Teacher saying the maximum they can ask you is 4 systems at 12 bars each. She said they ussually ask 12 bars, 8 bars, 6 bars, and 4 bars for each system!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Waaaait, I'm confused... My music tech teacher told us that you go in with the piece DONE. You just go in; open it, do your 3/4 edits, show them save/print?
    Please tell me that's right!!

• Advertisement

Waaaait, I'm confused... My music tech teacher told us that you go in with the piece DONE. You just go in; open it, do your 3/4 edits, show them save/print?
    This is definitely wrong, you have to input the piece yourself sure? That's the whole point of it? Your Teacher needs to be shot if they told you this! :O

This is definitely wrong, you have to input the piece yourself sure? That's the whole point of it? Your Teacher needs to be shot if they told you this! :O
    Oh no.

NOOOOOOOO!!

>!<

Oh no.

NOOOOOOOO!!

>!<

I actually am in disbelief that a Teacher could tell you such a thing, is your teacher actually a stupid cnut?

I actually am in disbelief that a Teacher could tell you such a thing, is your teacher actually a stupid cnut?

You've ruined by day :P I tell ya...I'm texting my Music teacher tomorrow....FML.
    And what edits are you doing?
    She told me to do these;
    • add in dynamic markings (crescendos... Things that are on the score)
    • um...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

You're both sort of right!

You go in and have your piece saved. This is the piece you'll be making edits to. But they also ask you to input the piece, and they'll generally stop you after about 4 bars of each instrument (i.e. 4 bars of violin, 4 bars of viola, 4 bars of cello, 4 of double bass). You do the inputting first, on a blank score. Then when it's done they'll ask you to open the score you've already saved (this will be your full piece!) and then ask you do perform your edits.

• Advertisement

. But they also ask you to input the piece, and they'll generally stop you after about 4 bars of each instrument (i.e. 4 bars of violin, 4 bars of viola, 4 bars of cello, 4 of double bass).
    open the score you've already saved (this will be your full piece!) and then ask you do perform your edits.

My Music teacher says they hate doing this and try to do it as fast as possible, they may only ask few a few bars even on the first instrument! That's bloody fantasic!
    But I still dont know what edits to do. Sorry, it's just she's very unclear about the specifics...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

. But they also ask you to input the piece, and they'll generally stop you after about 4 bars of each instrument (i.e. 4 bars of violin, 4 bars of viola, 4 bars of cello, 4 of double bass).
    open the score you've already saved (this will be your full piece!) and then ask you do perform your edits.

My Music teacher says they hate doing this and try to do it as fast as possible, they may only ask few a few bars even on the first instrument! That's bloody fantasic!
    But I still dont know what edits to do. Sorry, it's just she's very unclear about the specifics...

You can do any any edits such as key change, tempo change adding articulation marks and all that jazz! Finale has a user manual and its real simple to use so you should be fine with a bit of practice :D

Ok...my music tech teacher is shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 abbevilleson

Hey

I had my music practical last week and relaised when i was doing my technology, i trasnpoed the piece down the octave when goin from Bb to C. It was then outside the range of a descant recorder but still played ok?? Do u think ill lose many marks for this. My other inputting and edits were fine compared to this!! Sooo annoyed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I was told it was 12 minutes, not including edits.
    You need to know how to input 64 bars altogether (16 of each instrument) in this time.
    But usually they wont ask you to do nearly that much, I got asked hardly anything,
    But then again one girl in my class got asked the whole lot and didnt do it in time.

Advertisement