Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red, sore lips

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

The key is to ALWAYS put something on your lips before going outside in weather like this.
    It'll provide a barrier against them drying out in the cold. The dry air inside from extra central heating chaps them too....

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

The key is to ALWAYS put something on your lips before going outside in weather like this.
    It'll provide a barrier against them drying out in the cold. The dry air inside from extra central heating chaps them too....
    Yeah, I'm finding thats the damn reality. The problem with Carmex was it was glossy looking and upon applying it to fairly healed lips they would turn bright red again. I'm a bloke so it wasn't my cup of tea, but on a suggestion from someone else I'm using Palmer's Cocoa Butter stick and not only is is pretty effective (maybe even better than Carmex) but it doesn't look so obvious on my lips. It also tastes and smells exactly like white chocolate, and I mean, who the hell doesn't like white chocolate! I have to apply it a little more frequently throughout the day as it absorbs pretty quick (hopefully a good thing!) but I'm finding it's pretty effective.

Overall, I'm finding some mornings I'm looking a bit pasty, sickly, in general (skin, eyes, complexion) and others I look a little better, so I'm thinking there's possibly something else wrong with me, something deeper that's effecting me overall and it's showing in terms of the lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Leelaa22 wrote: »
    Ive a friend who swears by that stuff too. where I can some?

Sorry, I only saw this now. You can get it in loads of places really, most chemists, Boots, Tesco.

And if you're talking about Palmer's Cocoa Butter, I picked up a big fat stick in Boots for about €4. I'm still finding it pretty good and once again, big plus point, it smells EXACTLY like white chocolate. Like rubbing a milkybar all over your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

The last few days my lips have been very dry and chapped, I can't stop biting them! I'm going to try swing by the chemists in the morning, there was an intensive care lip cream I used to use, and it was amazing. It softens the lips as well as help repair them. I'm going to hazard a guess with 'Blistex' it was a small white and blue tube of lip cream with a nozzle on it.. works for me like nothing else I've tried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Abigayle wrote: »
    The last few days my lips have been very dry and chapped, I can't stop biting them! I'm going to try swing by the chemists in the morning, there was an intensive care lip cream I used to use, and it was amazing. It softens the lips as well as help repair them. I'm going to hazard a guess with 'Blistex' it was a small white and blue tube of lip cream with a nozzle on it.. works for me like nothing else I've tried.

Don't bite them!! Vaseline is the best, I can vouch for that. And use a little water as well.

Yeah, someone else mentioned that earlier. Even with the Cocoa Butter my lips aren't really healing - it's protecting them in the cold, in their current unhealthy state, but there not getting to a state of healed. I might give it a blast.
    Surley wrote: »
    Don't bite them!! Vaseline is the best, I can vouch for that. And use a little water as well.
    Absolutely don't bite them, they'll bleed, dry out again, cause you the worst suffering and take quite a while to heal. I've had this lip problem so long I have great discipline in regards doing anything with my lips - licking them, biting and so on. In regards water - never put it on on it's own. I tried that one day - 5 minutes of glorious relief but 5 hours of horrific pain, it really dries them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

In regards water - never put it on on it's own. I tried that one day - 5 minutes of glorious relief but 5 hours of horrific pain, it really dries them out.

You're right, I should have said water and vaseline together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Vaseline is by far and away the best. Get the little tin that's specifically for dry lips. The one with Aloe Vera is the best, as it's very soothing and has a better consistency. And keep re-applying frequently. When it's cleared up, stop using it.

You're right, I should have said water and vaseline together.
    Don't get me wrong, you did in fact say "use vaseline and water as well". You just made me remember that painful day and I made the point separately. Water on it's own is a HUGE no no! No criticism here, and in fact I might try it myself.

A lot of people say steer clear of vaseline but an awful lot of others are saying it's great, so I might try it with the water - it wont kill me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I couldnt stop nipping at them :o I normally use the vaseline, but I've been at my lips non-stop because of the cold - I figured they could do with something with a bit more of a kick (:
    Absolutely don't bite them, they'll bleed, dry out again, cause you the worst suffering and take quite a while to heal. I've had this lip problem so long I have great discipline in regards doing anything with my lips - licking them, biting and so on. In regards water - never put it on on it's own. I tried that one day - 5 minutes of glorious relief but 5 hours of horrific pain, it really dries them out.

I managed to get to the chemist today, and picked some of my lil miracle cream up :) I was unsure of the name, but when I saw the packaging I was relieved it was the same stuff. Blistease is now blistex, and its the 'relief cream' that does the bizo. I've been dabbing a little on throughout the day, and I have to say the difference is unbelievable! :) Its medicated, and has a reassuring tingle that its doing something good, definitely less dryness and even the areas I've been nipping at feel and look a lot better.

Sorry folks if it was mentioned before, theres a fair bit of reading in the thread :o:)

I couldnt stop nipping at them :o I normally use the vaseline, but I've been at my lips non-stop because of the cold - I figured they could do with something with a bit more of a kick (:
    Don't worry, you'll get the discipline

I managed to get to the chemist today, and picked some of my lil miracle cream up :) I was unsure of the name, but when I saw the packaging I was relieved it was the same stuff. Blistease is now blistex, and its the 'relief cream' that does the bizo. I've been dabbing a little on throughout the day, and I have to say the difference is unbelievable! :) Its medicated, and has a reassuring tingle that its doing something good, definitely less dryness and even the areas I've been nipping at feel and look a lot better.

Sorry folks if it was mentioned before, theres a fair bit of reading in the thread :o:)
    This I might try as a solution to actual healing my lips. I'm doing everything right - good veg and fruit, plenty of water, lip balm when I go out so I think they should be at a healing stage, unless something horrible is actually wrong with me. Now at this point in time we are in suffering the worst weather of my generation so we're in a challenging time for lips but still...

Thanks for the reply as ever.

Advertisement