Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How a "Professional" Guitar Maker builds em

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

"Also I don't bother to use a thrussrod or a fretboard-layer."

LOL :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Mmm, MDF quality.

Indeed, famous for it's tonal properties :)

Oh, and excellent for shelves too!

I'll never forget working on that aria and finding it's high quality tone wood. Plywood.

Technically, any guitar with layers of different woods (eg maple top and bottom and mahogany in the middle) is a plywooded guitar.

I have a guitar at home that's made of chipboard. Someday I will burn it :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, true about that plywood. This was about 30 layer plywood...

Chipboard? Yup, got one of those upstairs...

Actually, I think I have an MDF bodied guitar at home, though it could be cardboard. I bought it off a guy for £20 and a can of coke. I'm gonna burn that too, now that I think of it :D

£20 and a can of coke? You were ripped off. Dips on the hardware if you're burning it. Can I watch? :p

I'll take pictures. You don't want the hardware, trust me :)

Yes I do. Are they sealed tuners? I want to make a guitar with as many single coils in it as possible.

• Advertisement

No, they're a line of six connected tuners with plastic buttons. The pickups are single coils, but the size of a humbucker, but with twice the buzz of a regular single coil. They must and will be destroyed.

Ah, I've those tuners upstairs... Single coils that size of a humbucker??? Intruiging...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

MMM, i have to admit, as ****ing useless as that guitar is gonna be, fair fúcks to him, he/she will have a nice feeling of achieving 'something' when they're finished!!! i guess we all have to start somewhere:)

Although he could have a done a better job with the woodwork, especially when measuring the neck and where it meets the body.. i've never done woodwork but i would assume that you would mark out where you have to cut, maybe undercut slightly and then sand the rest down to the correct specs so the neck would fit perfectly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

God! that neck will fold up on him/her if they try to string it. bridge from "sigaret" lighter parts!

Especially without a truss rod and made of MDF...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's gonna be so disapointing when all the paint flakes off and the mdf starts to get filed away, and he starts inhaling it.

Disappointing? I'd say it'd be hilarious :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i also dont know why he painted it, then sanded it, then had to paint it all over again:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Hats off! Quality craftsmanship. See, who needs a custom guitar made by some bozos in Fender or Gibson or whoever you want to throw your money at, just get a load of old flatpack furniture and you've got a shredding demon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I hope he's just making a prototype and not a real guitar. But then why put real pickups and wiring in it? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement