Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civilization 5

Comments

Change the date on your system? I doubt that would work but it is worth a try.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So, have it pre-loaded with Steam, and it sits on my hard drive, taunting me.

Supposed to unlock just after midnight next Thursday. Having not pre-loaded a game with Steam before can anyone tell me do these thing usually unlock on time, and how long does unlocking take, so I know whether or not to bother waiting up to get an early 2-3 hours of Civ goodness?

The unlock time can be a bit unpredictable, and tends to run in Pacific time, since that's Valve's local time. The actual unlock process should take just a few minutes, usually to decrypt contents, and maybe grab down a last component. This is all assuming Valves servers don't creak under the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anyone know if you can enter the serial code from the retail version into steam and install it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Amazon have it on pre-order for £25, no delivery charge to Ireland with super saver. Not a bad deal if you can wait a few days after release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

seriously a quad core reccommended???

i just pray this civ game doesnt suffer from a slow down like civ 3 did.

never got into civ 4, really hated the whole feel of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Change the date on your system? I doubt that would work but it is worth a try.

Nah, the unlock is based on server time not system time. Otherwise we'd all be playing it already and gladly be handing over the Steam Tax. :P

Only 5 days left for North America! Civilization V will be unlocking at 10am EDT (7am PDT) September 21st and can be pre-loaded on Steam right now!
    From CIV on facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/civ

From CIV on facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/civ

6 days, 10 hours for us I'm afraid. The international release is after the US release. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭gunner_twotone

Having read the system requirements I am a little nervous to say the least.

Can anyone indicate if my system will run it well?

Dell XPS 420
    Windows Vista SP2 32bit
    Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
    4Gb Ram
    Nvidia 8800GT 512mb
    500 Gb Hard Drive

Thanks

Having read the system requirements I am a little nervous to say the least.

Can anyone indicate if my system will run it well?

Dell XPS 420
    Windows Vista SP2 32bit
    Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
    4Gb Ram
    Nvidia 8800GT 512mb
    500 Gb Hard Drive

Thanks
    Yes that will run it fine

• Advertisement

Civilisation Revolution on the iPad is just about taking the edge off waiting for Civ V to unlock. Barely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You can download the manual now: http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/feature_manual

25 meg PDF. There seems to be a few contradictions or errors in there so it's presumably not the final manual.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

A few reviews coming through

Gametrailers

Gameinformer

G4TV

Joystiq

Universally positive, I didn't expect any less.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hmm, re-installed Civ4 +Warlords/BTS, only to be told my Core i7 965, 6 GB of RAM, and twin GTX 480's is below the minumum spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Spear wrote: »
    Hmm, re-installed Civ4 +Warlords/BTS, only to be told my Core i7 965, 6 GB of RAM, and twin GTX 480's is below the minumum spec.

Tough Break! :rolleyes:

Can you run it just told me my new laptop is enough to run Civ 5! But not under recommended settings, though I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

below the minumum spec.

I got that too when I installed it on Win7. TBH I never worry about spec with Civ games. Though my DX-33 used to struggle with Civ 2.....

I'm not sure I'd read too much into the positive reviews. Most 'critics' are so far up the marketing boy's arses that they're too afraid to say anything bad or the freebies will stop coming. I'm not saying it'll be a bad game but it's bound to need patches/tweaks after release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

edit the civilizationIV.ini file in "My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword" and ensure you the following set HideMinSpecWarning = 1

I'm not sure I'd read too much into the positive reviews. Most 'critics' are so far up the marketing boy's arses that they're too afraid to say anything bad or the freebies will stop coming. I'm not saying it'll be a bad game but it's bound to need patches/tweaks after release.

One of the reviews bitched about the quality of the AI at length.

I wouldnt worry too much about the good or indeed the bad review. Civ is the sort of game that you get out what you put in. Before long there will be plenty of mods and patches to address any shortfalls in terms of gameplay and even AI.

Lets just wait till Fri then at around 3am on Sat morning lets see where we are!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So who actually prebooked this and where are ye getting it?

Picking it up on Friday in Gamestop, will be cheaper than steam I've been told.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any idea what price it will be?will probbly pick it up there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

nesf wrote: »
    One of the reviews bitched about the quality of the AI at length.

Do you have a link? I'm looking for the real reviews not the marketing department approved ones if anyone can help me.

Does anyone know how much it will be in the shops?
    I'm considering preordering it on amazon for £25... £27ish with shipping but I wouldn't trust An Post with the steam off my piss.

Picking it up on Friday in Gamestop, will be cheaper than steam I've been told.

That's not hard to do tbf, I imagine HMV or Smyths will be the cheapest
    smk89 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much it will be in the shops?
    I'm pretty sure it'll be €40 in most places

Any idea what price it will be?will probbly pick it up there too.

I'd be hoping for around 40-45

smk89 wrote: »
    Do you have a link? I'm looking for the real reviews not the marketing department approved ones if anyone can help me.

I think it was the second last review linked in the post a while back. Honestly, it was strange since the other reviews linked praised the AI. Much of the commenters were of the opinion that the reviewer didn't actually play a game at the higher difficulty settings where the AI is supposed to be good. Firaxis confirmed in that screencast they did that the AI will make mistakes in the lower difficulty levels (i.e. the AI selects from a bunch of potential options before taking actions, at lower difficulty levels this group of options includes decidedly sub-optimal decisions while at higher difficulty levels the group consists only of very efficient decisions).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Does anyone know if it will it support hot seating?

GameStop have it for €39.99...

• Advertisement

A look back on 20 years of Civ here

Advertisement