Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where can i get decent iPhone 5 USB cables?

• 17-07-2014 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I have an iPhone 5c and this morning the usb cable I use to charge it just decided it wasnt going to work for me.

14 hours later and I'm here with a dead iphone and a useless charger. Nobody else in my house has a fifth generation iPhone or iPod so there arent any backup charges and considering I'm an eighteen year old who just finished school and is frantically searching for a job, I dont exactly have the cash to fork out €30 for a new cable (nor the time to order one online and wait for it to arrive...I'm a teenager for christ's sake I NEED to have my phone with me at all times)

Plus the fact that I'm job hunting kind of requires me to have my phone always on too...so yaknow..

Anyway, can anyone tell me where to get one cheap enough?? Are the ones in euro2 decent enough to last me while I wait for one I order online to arrive in the post?

(Also there aren't any Apple stores where I live so that's that option out the window)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The €2 ones aren't ideal but should tide you over :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I have an iPhone 5c and this morning the usb cable I use to charge it just decided it wasnt going to work for me.

14 hours later and I'm here with a dead iphone and a useless charger. Nobody else in my house has a fifth generation iPhone or iPod so there arent any backup charges and considering I'm an eighteen year old who just finished school and is frantically searching for a job, I dont exactly have the cash to fork out €30 for a new cable (nor the time to order one online and wait for it to arrive...I'm a teenager for christ's sake I NEED to have my phone with me at all times)

Plus the fact that I'm job hunting kind of requires me to have my phone always on too...so yaknow..

Anyway, can anyone tell me where to get one cheap enough?? Are the ones in euro2 decent enough to last me while I wait for one I order online to arrive in the post?

(Also there aren't any Apple stores where I live so that's that option out the window)

The 2euro shop ones will only charge it when it's switched off. Apple in their wisdom fitted an id chip in the cable and therefore the phone won't charge if it's switched on as its looking for that chip, switched off it should charge it.

Also worth ringing Apple customer care about your cable, they've replaced 2 for me in the past year under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

The 2euro shop ones will only charge it when it's switched off. Apple in their wisdom fitted an id chip in the cable and therefore the phone won't charge if it's switched on as its looking for that chip, switched off it should charge it.

Also worth ringing Apple customer care about your cable, they've replaced 2 for me in the past year under warranty.

are you sure about that? i bought a cheap one online for 2.99 and it works perfectly, charges it like an official apple one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

If it's just the cable that is the issue, it is 19 Euro for a new cable, not 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

ukoda wrote: »
    are you sure about that? i bought a cheap one online for 2.99 and it works perfectly, charges it like an official apple one

The last ones I bought would only charge when phone was off, Switched to android soon after so haven't been able to check since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

There are iWantIt 3metre Apple supported cables for €20 in Currys and PC world that a waaay better than the OEM Apple ones. I've one since November and it's perfect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm using mine to charge, sync and play music through the radio in my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Eurospar santry have a stand with gadget accessories and you can get a USB charger for €4.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

My g/f bought a few cables from this seller http://www.adverts.ie/apple/belkin-lightning-charge-sync-cable-for-iphone-5-5s-5c-ipad-mini/5643701 a month back. Seem to be genuine Belkin. Everything works and no error messages or any of that jazz. Don't know the bloke at all, in case anyone thinks I'm trying to sell wares, but he seemed pretty helpful from the few messages we exchanged. Give him a shout and see does he have any left if you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

I bought a €2 store cable and it's really long. 3M. Works perfectly to my surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Always buy certified cables, it removes the headache and danger hazard of the fakes. Just look out for cables which are MFi certified.

I seen some on eBay which are from a company called dodocool. They sell official cables which are more heavy duty compared to the Apple ones. Only €10 but you'll need to wait for delivery. Best bet is to buy an unofficial one for now, they're hit and miss though. Some might work and others might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Amazon basics ones are great, by amazon , I mean their own brand ones.
    Chunky and sturdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Get a cable in dealz 1.49 better than any other lightening cable. I have one that has out lived 4 official apple cables

The trick is to hold them by the hard plastic part as oppose to the cable when pulling them out ( this applies to all cables, not just the cheap ones )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,911 ✭✭✭dodzy

ted1 wrote: »
    Get a cable in dealz 1.49 better than any other lightening cable. I have one that has out lived 4 official apple cables

The trick is to hold them by the hard plastic part as oppose to the cable when pulling them out ( this applies to all cables, not just the cheap ones )

Dunno what you were doing to 4 OEM cables Ted, but there is no way the Dealz offering is in the same league.

Bought this a while back. Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If you're pulling them out by the cable as opposed to the connector no wonder you've gone through four of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭electric applause

Thanks for all the help guys! I actually ended up getting two in dealz. One was a retractable cable which was crap but the normal lightening one is going good. Its a decent length and I've had no problems with it, its also quite sturdy. Went back and got a second one just incase anything goes wrong and for €1.49 ya can't fault it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dodzy wrote: »
    Dunno what you were doing to 4 OEM cables Ted, but there is no way the Dealz offering is in the same league.

Bought this a while back. Perfect.

that is exactly my point, they are way better

Advertisement