Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling Galaxy SII - advice needed

Options
  • 29-08-2012 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I'm going to sell my Galaxy S2 shortly. There is a crack in the screen - it's a small one on the top right corner, and it doesn't affect the touchscreen, but it's there nonetheless! It runs from just right of the Samsung text at the top of the phone to approximately 1/3 of the way down on the right hand side of the phone.

What do you think is a sufficient discount to give based on the cracked screen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Depends on what it looks like. Can you post a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

I'll post a snap of it once my co-worker gets back to the office. I'll use his phone to take it. It's a hairline crack, so not noticeable until you tilt it against the light.

Here's a pic of the crack. It's hard to make out but it's just to the right of the Samsung text.

Edit: that's the glare from the sun on the top left of the phone...just in case people think that's what I'm on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Never did it myself, but if the screen is not broken (that seems to be the case) this might be something for you:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replace-Touch-screen-Outer-Glass-Lens-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S2-i9100-S-2-II-Black-/230814567807?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bd9ecd7f

Thanks for the suggestion and the link. That's something I will look into.

The crack doesn't affect the touchscreen at all, so that's why I'm wondering what type of discount I should give...I'm guessing not that big a discount so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Never did it myself, but if the screen is not broken (that seems to be the case) this might be something for you:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replace-Touch-screen-Outer-Glass-Lens-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S2-i9100-S-2-II-Black-/230814567807?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bd9ecd7f

that part is worthless ass the screen and lcd are glue,d together and there is no way of separating them this is the part you need http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Replacement-Assembly-LCD-Screen-Digitizer-Samsung-i9100-Galaxy-S2-White-/160843577394?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2573063832#ht_980wt_1271

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Thanks for the suggestion and the link. That's something I will look into.

The crack doesn't affect the touchscreen at all, so that's why I'm wondering what type of discount I should give...I'm guessing not that big a discount so?

and on discount well new screen cost 145 and fitting is say 30 so your discount should be about 175 minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

massy086 wrote: »
    that part is worthless ass the screen and lcd are glue,d together and there is no way of separating them this is the part you need http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Replacement-Assembly-LCD-Screen-Digitizer-Samsung-i9100-Galaxy-S2-White-/160843577394?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2573063832#ht_980wt_1271

Looks like it _cannot_ be done - I was wrong:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es8gezSdKv4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I didn't think the S2 was a fashion accessory. But I'll offer €20 for your phone due to this crack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

They're going for about €270 in perfect nick on Adverts.ie

I think the crack is going to require a large discount of more than the parts to fix it.

If it was me I'd put it in Adverts for €120, hoping for €80 - €100. If you don't get any takers then you've lost nothing. You don't have to take any low offers. Adverts gets a lot of people who'll bid about 30% of what you're looking for. I normally ignore those and wait a couple of days.

If it's not locked to any network that'll make it more attractive to a buyer.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice lads.

I don't think I'll be offering that large a discount (i.e. the price of a new screen - ~€150).

Simply because it works perfectly and you can barely notice the crack.

It's more from an aesthetic point of view really. The phone doesn't need to be fixed.

I was originally thinking along the lines of a token gesture of €50 discount but I'll have a think about it anyway. Thanks again for all the advice here, cheers.

When I put it up on Adverts I'll put a link here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Thanks for the advice lads.

I don't think I'll be offering that large a discount (i.e. the price of a new screen - ~€150).

Simply because it works perfectly and you can barely notice the crack.

It's more from an aesthetic point of view really. The phone doesn't need to be fixed.

I was originally thinking along the lines of a token gesture of €50 discount but I'll have a think about it anyway. Thanks again for all the advice here, cheers.

When I put it up on Adverts I'll put a link here.

If you put up a link the post is usually deleted by mods, just to let you know.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The crack is huge (and it's hard to say if it will get worse or not) and extremely noticeable. You'd be doing well to get 100 euros for it I'd say.

The crack is huge (and it's hard to say if it will get worse or not) and extremely noticeable. You'd be doing well to get 100 euros for it I'd say.

Not sure if you're taking the mick or not!

I've attached a few more snaps - I would disagree that the crack is extremely noticeable.

Appreciate the feedback though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I'd say you'll be able to get more than 100 euro for it but not by much. Phones devalue a lot and even though it may not be a broken screen, the scratch is big and visible enough to significantly detract from the value. If they're available for 270 in perfect condition like mickoneill30 says, I'd probably pay 140-150 for yours.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not sure if you're taking the mick or not!

I've attached a few more snaps - I would disagree that the crack is extremely noticeable.

Appreciate the feedback though.

They're all taken from the 'wrong' angle with the top out of focus. Assuming the potential buyer will pick it up before paying for it I'd say the very first thing he/she will see is the crack and that's pretty much all they'll see thereafter. Not everyone is as picky as I am in that respect but I recently got a 2cm scratch on my tablet screen and it's driving me nuts so something like this would be a complete no-go for me.

Are you selling it for another reason besides the crack annoying you?

They're all taken from the 'wrong' angle with the top out of focus. Assuming the potential buyer will pick it up before paying for it I'd say the very first thing he/she will see is the crack and that's pretty much all they'll see thereafter. Not everyone is as picky as I am in that respect but I recently got a 2cm scratch on my tablet screen and it's driving me nuts so something like this would be a complete no-go for me.

Are you selling it for another reason besides the crack annoying you?

Yes, I agree that the focus is slightly out on a few, only noticed when I uploaded the pics. But you get the idea.

The crack is annoying but I'm selling because I'll be due an upgrade shortly.

Thanks for your input though, I see your point. I disagree that a ~60% discount is reasonable though for that scratch..but I'm being biased obviously :D

Advertisement