Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest/Stockholm or Barcelona

• 28-03-2012 4:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just wondering what city most people would recommend for a couple mid 30's. It's for a two night city break away from the kids and in August. The usual criteria apply, bit of culture, nice food, few drinks and relaxation time. We have the option of 3 nights in Barcelona or 2 nights in the other cities.
    Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

I've been to Stockholm and Budapest. Can't say anything about Barcelona.

First of all I would say Stockholm is fantastic. There is very much to see and do there. The biggest drawback of Stockholm would be that it is ridiculously expensive.

Budapest is a city with a very different feel to it. Also very nice with tonnes to see and do. It is much cheaper than Stockholm. For a couple in your thirties you can't really go wrong I'd say. Granted you might wanna do different things than I did. I went with my friends. I'm 23 and think that the nightlife in Budapest might offer jsut that bit more.

Another thing to consider is how to get to Budapest. Is there a direct flight from Ireland? I've not sure as we drove. You can fly to Stockholm with both Ryanair and Aer Lingus.

If I think about which one would I like to go to more it would be Budapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I recommend Barcelona - there are lots of things for the family to do and see - the parks, visiting the Old Town (the Gothic Quarter), there's the Maritime Museum and so on. Be careful of pickpockets on the Ramblas and in August the climate is definitely hot. We rented an appartment in a fairly central area which luckily had air-conditioning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

Rawhead wrote: »
    Hello all,

Just wondering what city most people would recommend for a couple mid 30's. It's for a two night city break away from the kids and in August. The usual criteria apply, bit of culture, nice food, few drinks and relaxation time. We have the option of 3 nights in Barcelona or 2 nights in the other cities.
    Any advice much appreciated.

stockholm is the only one i havent been to , hear its nice but very expensive , i love barcelona , one of my favourite citys , ive been to budapest , didnt like it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Never been to Barcelona, but I found Sweden very, very boring. Nice, but a bit lifeless. Budapest has loads to offer and has a bit of a buzz. It's a savage place. I went there for Sziget the music festival every August, been there twice. It's not a typical Oxygen type thing, it's for all ages with loads to see and do. It's on Margit Sziget the island in the middle of the Danube. They have some unreal museums, and you could spend the day in the baths. They are the most relaxing thing ever! Definitely give Budapest a go. Watch out for the subway guards though!!! Buddy got stung for 120 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Another thing to consider is how to get to Budapest. Is there a direct flight from Ireland? I've not sure as we drove. You can fly to Stockholm with both Ryanair and Aer Lingus.

If I think about which one would I like to go to more it would be Budapest.

You can fly direct with Ryanair and Aer Lingus from Dublin. You could also go Dublin-Bratislava, a dirt cheap flight, and get the train to Buda, taking in the Hungarian scenery, which is class (after you cross the border, Slovakia is horrendous looking!). Might be a bit much for two days though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement