Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any shop open today?

Options
  • 25-12-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Newsagents or Petrol Station?

- Merry Christmas one and all!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Applegreen in corbally and the new petrol station near it is too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

o'neills on upper william street(now called foodcourt) is usally open christmas until about 6ish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Got sorted - Thanks Folks, much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I have no respect for anyone who opens on Christmas Day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

RonMexico wrote: »

To some people in Ireland, today is saturday, just like any other saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

F1ngers wrote: »
    To some people in Ireland, today is saturday, just like any other saturday.

+1!

I need petrol today!
    By the way, if you required halal meat today, i'm sure you'd get it - not everyone is celebrating xmas lads.

There are plenty of people who open Christmas Day for no reason other than greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

+1!

I need petrol today!
    By the way, if you required halal meat today, i'm sure you'd get it - not everyone is celebrating xmas lads.

Why didnt you just get it yesterday?

It baffles me how people are surprised shops arent open on christmas day, you know its coming, if you need stuff get it the day before, simples

Mr.S wrote: »
    They are a business, they want to make money. If they are clever enough to open up when most shops are closed, when a lot of people want to buy things then fair play to them.

There is nothing clever about it in my eyes, just absolute greed.

krudler wrote: »
    Why didnt you just get it yesterday?

It baffles me how people are surprised shops arent open on christmas day, you know its coming, if you need stuff get it the day before, simples

I didn't need it yesterday, I found out this afternoon I have to go somewhere tonight - I'm in work right now by the way so thought I would be heading home to relax later :-p

Besides, I am not shocked anything is closed, I know its christmas but I was merely agreeing with the previous poster who highlighted that for a lot of people, this is just another Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

if you required halal meat today, i'm sure you'd get it

Out of curiosity whats halal meat?...never heard of it before.

Google it John.
    Its normal meat, butchered in accordance with Islamic law - Muslims don't celebrate Christmas, hence there'd be no problem finding halal butchers open today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Google it John.
    Its normal meat, butchered in accordance with Islamic law - Muslims don't celebrate Christmas, hence there'd be no problem finding halal butchers open today :D

Thanks irishproduce. Wikipedia explained all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

There is nothing clever about it in my eyes, just absolute greed.

How ?

What about people who don't celebrate christmas and who own a business
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Including chemists?

Sera wrote: »
    Including chemists?

Is this a thread about chemists. I'm talking about people who own shops and petrol stations. I also don't buy into the excuse that the places are open because they don't celebrate Christmas. Bull****, maybe one or two but the rest are just greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Is this a thread about chemists. I'm talking about people who own shops and petrol stations. I also don't buy into the excuse that the places are open because they don't celebrate Christmas. Bull****, maybe one or two but the rest are just greedy.

Greedy?

There providing a service to people who need it on a day where nearly every other place is closed.

I cant see how it is being greedy, there just taking advantage of a good oppurtunity and I would no doubt do the same if owned a business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

chemists should all close on christmas as its selfish to buy perfume and condoms on christmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I worked in a supermarket about 10 years ago merchandising for coca cola, and the blatant greed on display by pretty much all the brands in the supermarket was disgusting. Put me off Christmas. The larger brands would buy up more shelf space, and merchandisers would get thick if someone else placed a product in their space by mistake (or on purpose).
    Can't remember much mention of Christianity in there either on the run up to Christmas....
    And people going buck ape filling the trollies for the sake of a day.
    I just don't get it, so I suppose you could call me a bah humbug and the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I think its wrong to open on Christmas, employees should legally be allowed at least one day a year where they dont have to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Unreal amount of shoppers around Limerick today, never seen it so busy. Raheen shopping center was madness aswell..

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

ludwit wrote: »
    chemists should all close on christmas as its selfish to buy perfume and condoms on christmas day.

People need condoms Christmas Day the same as any other day , nothing wrong with a shag before mass (what else is there to do):o

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Ireland is a very sleepy little country. It is nearly shut down for two days of the week and if you're sick/need a dentist, etc. on a Sunday well tough luck buddy cos it's Ireland!

Are you making this an issue of religion? We should be worshipping the same god whose representatives have been covering up child abuse for the last xx years??

Someone who opens on Christmas day is a sensible down to earth person who realises that just because a fictional character was apparently born on a certain day of the year, it doesn't mean people don't need petrol/medicine,etc. for that day!

This thread was started by someone who needed help finding a shop. He has found it. Maybe the mods should move this to a religious debate forum or maybe we should let this thread die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Had to drop daughter to Crescent shopping centre, the traffic trying to get out was unreal. Must have taken 20 mins. I really don't get this shopping thing. Why would people endure such boring hardship to get more stuff.

To each their own I guess. Some people seem to crave the madness.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Christmas Day has been and gone, so I'm closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement