Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature Entry Medicine 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Outright rejection for me. Fun times all around :-) Although surprisingly I'm not actually that cut up about it? Ah well, live and learn.

From the way you talked about your thesis; I got the impression you weren't too optimistic about an offer... Maybe you were half expecting it? Sorry to hear it though; but you still have TCD so fingers crossed.
    jody24 wrote: »
    i am sorry to hear that crazystupid28 and good luck for trinitys offer.
    caolan good luck with ur lc and trinity offers.

shockingly i have got my self a place at RCSI!!

Congrats Jody; some good news :)
    Caolan wrote: »
    Check the post box- letters from RCSI arriving today. Mine was as expected, wait list.

Good luck to everyone else!!!

From the sounds of things waiting lists for RCSI are pretty good; you actually have a decent shot at an offer since the fees are so high and many don't follow through on the offer. Plus you have lots of other chances for this year; fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

any one know when TCD offers are out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mir71

i am sorry to hear that crazystupid28 and good luck for trinitys offer.
    caolan good luck with ur lc and trinity offers.

shockingly i have got my self a place at RCSI!!

congratulation jody24! well done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Waiting list also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dmgvdg

Outright rejection for me.

Second time applicant, MSc in Biomedical Engineering, BAI in Mechanical Engineering, years of teaching experience, significant shadowing experience, life of experience living with and assisting chronic disease patient, parents and brother both doctors, 94th percentile HPAT, really thought I had it this time.

What the f*ck do they need...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

That's tough going, it must be something at interview, the rest of your application sounds very impressive. I believe rcsi are very good at showing results from interview and offering pointers afterward.

The folks in RCSI did say the level of applicants this year is phenomenal. They seem to think word has got out about the mature access and it's getting more and more competitive each year as the applications are well researched and people are preparing for their application.

As an aside, as someone on the waiting list i would appreciate if anyone who gets multiple offers was kind enough to decline RCSI, many thanks ;)

That's tough going, it must be something at interview, the rest of your application sounds very impressive. I believe rcsi are very good at showing results from interview and offering pointers afterward.

The folks in RCSI did say the level of applicants this year is phenomenal. They seem to think word has got out about the mature access and it's getting more and more competitive each year as the applications are well researched and people are preparing for their application.

As an aside, as someone on the waiting list i would appreciate if anyone who gets multiple offers was kind enough to decline RCSI, many thanks ;)

I will decline my RCSI, if i get an offer from TCD. so waitless till TCD send theirs out.
    I hope you are first in the waiting list and good luck

I will decline my RCSI, if i get an offer from TCD. so waitless till TCD send theirs out.
    I hope you are first in the waiting list and good luck

Much appreciated!

God knows how wait list is ranked. I heard last year they nearly went all the way down with GEM/ undergrad refusals.

Quick question for those who know, what is the GEM offer date? And whats the acceptance deadline for rcsi?

I reckon I won't even be considered for a place (if one is available) until the LC results are out. I guess I understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 crazystupid28

Yeah Ronivek I wasn't overly optimistic about my chances. But I'm a realist and knew rejection was a possibility when I started so even to get the interviews was a bonus to me.

Just got an email version of the letter that was sent. The double rejection feels great :rolleyes: On the plus side I got a call about a job interview tomorrow and my boyfriend bought me pastries and biscuits so today has balanced out nicely. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pooch88

dmgvdg wrote: »

Second time applicant, MSc in Biomedical Engineering, BAI in Mechanical Engineering, years of teaching experience, significant shadowing experience, life of experience living with and assisting chronic disease patient, parents and brother both doctors, 94th percentile HPAT, really thought I had it this time.

Would you get in on your lc points with such a high hpat ? Are you eligible for the graduate route ? You have a strong application

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Pooch88

After a 'few years' of trying...I'm finally in!!! For those who weren't successful...don't give up if it's what you really want...sometimes life brings you on little detours before you reach your destination !! :)

Got a voice mail from NUIG this afternoon, only picked it up after hours, but really hoping it's positive news, they said at interview yesterday successful people will be told in next couple of days.

Congratulations Pooch; and Caolan I hope it's good news, it would be strange if they were letting people know they were unsuccessful by phone though...

ronivek wrote: »
    Congratulations Pooch; and Caolan I hope it's good news, it would be strange if they were letting people know they were unsuccessful by phone though...

That's my thinking, I'm hoping they were calling for a little more than to see how the weather is in Dublin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

That's my thinking, I'm hoping they were calling for a little more than to see how the weather is in Dublin ;)

Grand, I'll take your RCSI place, which you're getting from Jody when she accepts TCD. Everyone wins :D

Healium wrote: »
    Grand, I'll take your RCSI place, which you're getting from Jody when she accepts TCD. Everyone wins :D

And crazystupid gets TCD and I somehow get UCD, and Mawahip gets UCC and everyone really does win! :pac:

And crazystupid gets TCD and I somehow get UCD, and Mawahip gets UCC and everyone really does win! :pac:

lads i hope it work out for all of us. i was disappointed in the last 2 years when my applications were failed for no good reason.

i really like to have all of us starting med school next september :)

any way i was looking at last year thread and offers for tcd seem to have gone out the thursday after the interview thursday! which accordingly means that ours should be out today as well!! any news?

Just off the phone from NUIG and have been made an offer. Obsolutely delighted, hadn't been on campus before the MMI and hear nothing but great things.

Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Katdrama

dmgvdg wrote: »

Your hpat (&application/experiences) is amazing, maybe you'll get in on points, like the other poster said? The elation of having got thru the MMI at NUIG has kind of ebbed for me now, & I can't stop postmorteming my performance - really feel like I could have said more to sell myself! I was the one sitting beside you at the MMI- hope you get in on points! Congrats to Caolan as well (longtime lurker been following your stories)! Guess that means they probably filled the 2 spaces already. OW the pain...

Katdrama wrote: »
    Your hpat (&application/experiences) is amazing, maybe you'll get in on points, like the other poster said? The elation of having got thru the MMI at NUIG has kind of ebbed for me now, & I can't stop postmorteming my performance - really feel like I could have said more to sell myself! I was the one sitting beside you at the MMI- hope you get in on points! Congrats to Caolan as well (longtime lurker been following your stories)! Guess that means they probably filled the 2 spaces already. OW the pain...

Thanks a mill- it's a hard slog, nice to be coming to an end as this whole thing has consumed me for the last 18 months.

The MMI was so diverse and it's hard to know what the "right" answers were. The 2 places for NUIG have been offered, but won't officially be made until June/July.

I did mention before to keep hopes up for UCC. By the time they interview a lot of people will have accepted places elsewhere (some would say the stronger applicants on paper). They interview a relatively good number (about 10) and have at least 4 spots. I believe UCC are the most open minded of all the colleges, which is a very good thing I believe.

It's a shame it's so late when they interview, really leaves people waiting!

• Advertisement

Congratulations Caolan! Sorry to hear you weren't successful Katdreams; have you applied to other colleges like UCC and UCD?

Just off the phone from NUIG and have been made an offer. Obsolutely delighted, hadn't been on campus before the MMI and hear nothing but great things.

Woohoo!

well done Caolan
    glad that are also sorted.

Thanks a mill- it's a hard slog, nice to be coming to an end as this whole thing has consumed me for the last 18 months.

The MMI was so diverse and it's hard to know what the "right" answers were. The 2 places for NUIG have been offered, but won't officially be made until June/July.

I did mention before to keep hopes up for UCC. By the time they interview a lot of people will have accepted places elsewhere (some would say the stronger applicants on paper). They interview a relatively good number (about 10) and have at least 4 spots. I believe UCC are the most open minded of all the colleges, which is a very good thing I believe.

It's a shame it's so late when they interview, really leaves people waiting!

You’re seriously inspiring, obvs I’d prefer if it was me who had your place, but hats off to you! Reassuring to see you’re 30 as well, as I’m 27 & it’s kinda weird being one of the older ones.
    I thought the MMI was really fun (surprisingly!), wish I knew what the criteria were that they were scoring us on on their pages at each specific station, so I could have given more targeted answers (even tho that might defeat the whole purpose of the MMI :P). I’m sure you & the other person will definitely be taking up your offers in July for NUIG so I am keeping my fingers crossed for UCC. The waiting is killing me. I just want to say thanks for sharing about your background & opinions on points etc. Enjoy your Summer before you begin your medical journey!

Congratulations Caolan! Sorry to hear you weren't successful Katdreams; have you applied to other colleges like UCC and UCD?

Yep, have all 5 colleges down on my CAO. Rejection from RCSI & TCD though. Have 77th%ile in the hpat too, so praying the points don't go up, do you or anyone else think they will go up by much this year? :(

Katdrama wrote: »
    You’re seriously inspiring, obvs I’d prefer if it was me who had your place, but hats off to you! Reassuring to see you’re 30 as well, as I’m 27 & it’s kinda weird being one of the older ones.
    I thought the MMI was really fun (surprisingly!), wish I knew what the criteria were that they were scoring us on on their pages at each specific station, so I could have given more targeted answers (even tho that might defeat the whole purpose of the MMI :P). I’m sure you & the other person will definitely be taking up your offers in July for NUIG so I am keeping my fingers crossed for UCC. The waiting is killing me. I just want to say thanks for sharing about your background & opinions on points etc. Enjoy your Summer before you begin your medical journey!

Thanks for your kind words. It's all very exciting and hopefully you'll be on your way before summer is out. I wouldn't worry about age, I'm 31 (for now) and from what I know, 27 is the lower end of the mature applicants. Everyone feels "old" as we are so used to studying straight from school.

As for points for undergrad- the HPAT centile curves are practically identical to last year, so I'd expect very little movement as number of applicants to medicine on the CAO was pretty much the same as last year also (I think it increased by something like 19ppl)

Good luck, keep the head up!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Casper001

Hey Guys.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard from TCD yet regarding offers? Or does anyone know when they will likely be out? My nerves are nearly shot at this stage. And congrats to everyone who got into RCSI and NUI!!!!

Casper001 wrote: »
    Hey Guys.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard from TCD yet regarding offers? Or does anyone know when they will likely be out? My nerves are nearly shot at this stage. And congrats to everyone who got into RCSI and NUI!!!!

I talked to registry office on phone a short while ago. her asnwer was keep an eye on my tcd portal, they might still be interviewing ppl!!

i think she had no idea at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mawahip

The letters from UCD are out, check your post
    only people with with top 10 percentile (169 or more) will be short listed, best of luck to everyone.

They sent interview offers by post, or just rejection letters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Mawahip

They sent interview offers by post, or just rejection letters?

it was a rejection letter for me, so I assumed they sent the invitations to the successful applicants too, I could be wrong though !

Advertisement