Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which countries are free to study abroad in?

• 30-11-2014 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I'm asking re full undergraduate degree programmes through English. Eunicas give examples of Denmark, Sweden, Norway or Finland but is this a comprehensive list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

You might have found your answers, but if not, this report by the European Commission shows the different fees across European countries. You'll have to look at individual universities to find out which ones teach through English.

http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/education/eurydice/documents/facts_and_figures/fees_support.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Belgium and the Netherlands offer degrees through English. They're not free but the cost is much lower than Ireland.

Belgium and the Netherlands offer degrees through English. They're not free but the cost is much lower than Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Malta, they all speak english. Great weather and lovely island too.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Thanks a million for the replies, thinking about abroad more for a masters now but still considering it. Hadn't thought of Malta. Denmark is looking good too, seems to be a good education system there with low drop out rates + easily accessible to home + everyone speaks Eng also.

• Advertisement

For a masters, I'd deffo reccomend the Netherlands. It's far cheaper than Ireland and offers a huge variety of courses through English.

The Nordic countries are great and free but most masters are two years long and the cost of living is very high. Belgium is fantastic but the range isn't as good as for the Netherlands. I've a few friends who went to the Netherlands for their masters and they all loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ioc

if you are a mature student which i am..where in Europe is best to study?? im looking for a different learning environment than apposed to Ireland.. would be a great life experience to study abroad for a couple of years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

ioc wrote: »
    if you are a mature student which i am..where in Europe is best to study?? im looking for a different learning environment than apposed to Ireland.. would be a great life experience to study abroad for a couple of years :)

I've lived in the Netherlands for almost 8 years and started studying in Maastricht 1.5 years ago. I'm currently doing an Erasmus semester in Ireland. Much prefer the learning environment in NL, more group work and more hours per week meaning I'll get a degree in 3 years instead of (the imo totally unnecessary for full time study) 4 years. In my Uni, tutorials are mandatory meaning you get to know your classmates quite well and quite quickly. The tutorial groups change every 2 months aswell which means it's not cliquey.

Add to this, because I've been living and working there for more than 5 years I am entitled to a small monthly allowance (means tested, can be topped up with a very low interest loan) and free travel. If you work for 56+ hours per month you can also claim this. The fees are about €2000 per year so the small allowance I get covers this.

I started when I was 28 in a class of around 120. They were mainly Dutch and German, some English, French, International students. The Dutch tend to be 18/ 19 starting, as do the International students. The Germans generally do civil service or work as au pairs so can be anything up to mid twenties starting. A lot of the Germans tend to leave because they were waiting on courses in Germany which they get accepted to in either October or March, there are about 80 in my year now. There were around 4 other "mature" students (my age) when I started but now I'm the only one left. This is worth keeping in mind, mature students barely exist in the Netherlands. I think the only reason I've lasted is because actually, I'm not very mature :pac:. I think the others had issues with getting used to studying again but also expected respect for being 30+ from the younger students. I got on because I am aware that age really doesn't afford you any wisdom and I'm quite happy forget about mortgages etc for a while to go drink tequila.

In my Uni in Ireland, there are a lot more mature students. Honestly, I find the ones in my classes a bit irritating. Not that I begrudge them an education, but I find that they are really only there for the academics. Sometimes they seem to carry on like they know more than the lecturers which ends up taking up too much class time for my liking. Having said that, I have met some who are lovely and are really embracing all aspects of the university life.

Bottom line, while Uni in NL is something I definitely prefer, I have seen that it's difficult to just move to a country without really understanding what it's like to live there beforehand and this is more difficult when studying. You have limited funding, have to pay for all the normal things (rent, bills, health insurance etc etc more mandatory costs in Western Europe) and this is more difficult to do when you're older. Unless you have a good support network when you arrive, I would advise against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

I've lived in the Netherlands for almost 8 years and started studying in Maastricht 1.5 years ago. I'm currently doing an Erasmus semester in Ireland. Much prefer the learning environment in NL, more group work and more hours per week meaning I'll get a degree in 3 years instead of (the imo totally unnecessary for full time study) 4 years. In my Uni, tutorials are mandatory meaning you get to know your classmates quite well and quite quickly. The tutorial groups change every 2 months aswell which means it's not cliquey.

Add to this, because I've been living and working there for more than 5 years I am entitled to a small monthly allowance (means tested, can be topped up with a very low interest loan) and free travel. If you work for 56+ hours per month you can also claim this. The fees are about €2000 per year so the small allowance I get covers this.

I started when I was 28 in a class of around 120. They were mainly Dutch and German, some English, French, International students. The Dutch tend to be 18/ 19 starting, as do the International students. The Germans generally do civil service or work as au pairs so can be anything up to mid twenties starting. A lot of the Germans tend to leave because they were waiting on courses in Germany which they get accepted to in either October or March, there are about 80 in my year now. There were around 4 other "mature" students (my age) when I started but now I'm the only one left. This is worth keeping in mind, mature students barely exist in the Netherlands. I think the only reason I've lasted is because actually, I'm not very mature :pac:. I think the others had issues with getting used to studying again but also expected respect for being 30+ from the younger students. I got on because I am aware that age really doesn't afford you any wisdom and I'm quite happy forget about mortgages etc for a while to go drink tequila.

In my Uni in Ireland, there are a lot more mature students. Honestly, I find the ones in my classes a bit irritating. Not that I begrudge them an education, but I find that they are really only there for the academics. Sometimes they seem to carry on like they know more than the lecturers which ends up taking up too much class time for my liking. Having said that, I have met some who are lovely and are really embracing all aspects of the university life.

Bottom line, while Uni in NL is something I definitely prefer, I have seen that it's difficult to just move to a country without really understanding what it's like to live there beforehand and this is more difficult when studying. You have limited funding, have to pay for all the normal things (rent, bills, health insurance etc etc more mandatory costs in Western Europe) and this is more difficult to do when you're older. Unless you have a good support network when you arrive, I would advise against it.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply, actually your perspective on mature students too was well needed for me! God forbid I turn into one of those annoying mature students. I refuse to! I'm gonna start wearing hoop earrings again in fact just to make that statement.

:D

No worries, honestly I think the Netherlands is a great environment to live, work and study in and the best for me. But I had already had 6 years to live and work there so all I really had to learn to do was be a student, which everyone else was also doing. You need to have money for emergencies and unforeseen events/ costs if you're going to start from scratch in a country that you've never lived in before. Best of luck, I don't regret for a second returning to school, just sorry I didn't do it sooner :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭colosus1908

Thank you all for helping me settle an internal argument.
    Neitherland it is!!!.

Studielink is your best bet then, you will need an account to register anyway but they will also list all the courses by subject and language. Let me know how you get on and if you need any help, I'll be back home in EHV in a week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sean Amhlaoibh

Malta seems like a nice place to study in.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭colosus1908

The only country i know with easy scholarship is the one and only USA. Don't know why you didn't include it in the list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭garrixfan

I'm looking into Leiden. Anyone know should a 2.2 be okay to get into their programmes? I would love Malta but doesn't look to be what I want to do there.
    Also preferably I'd live in France or Spain, or even Germany, I just don't think I'll be motivated to learn Dutch, and if I'm living away would like to increase my language fluency.

garrixfan wrote: »
    I'm looking into Leiden. Anyone know should a 2.2 be okay to get into their programmes?

Best people to check with are Leiden. The benefit of the Dutch universities is that a lot of their programmes are in English, whereas the French and German are not. That's their USP. But you should get extra ECTS for learning Dutch if that's any benefit to you.

They will probably also offer courses to learn other languages, and because there is such an international population here you can basically learn any language you want, for free. Language exchange events are extremely popular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭garrixfan

I know a girl who went there from France, she seemed to love it. You make it sound appealing!

garrixfan wrote: »
    I know a girl who went there from France, she seemed to love it. You make it sound appealing!

Ya it's great. I lived in Den Haag for 2 years (not for me, found it a bit white collar and boring), Eindhoven for 8 years now (really love the people here and has some great spots for nights out, big design and music scenes) and I'm in my final year of a Bachelor in Maastricht (I commute). To get a bit of perspective, I spent a semester in UCC this year and didn't enjoy it one bit, content or culture. I find the interest is lacking a bit there, there isn't enough contact time and because you have the same people week after week it stagnates. Here I could have 6 different lecturers per week, the module coordinator is always on hand and most of the time follows the lectures.

The big Uni cities are Maastricht, Leiden, Groningen, Utrecht, Wageningen and Nijmegen and the Technical Universities are in Delft and Eindhoven. Forgive me if I've left any out. Good luck!

Advertisement