Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[DCMNR]2nd round of GBS projects announced

• 06-07-2005 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

Minister Noel Dempsey Announces First Stage Approval for Group Broadband Scheme

Dublin 6 July 2005

The Minister for Communications, Marine & Natural Resources, Mr Noel Dempsey, T.D., has announced the first 16 rural broadband projects to be approved under the County & Group Broadband Scheme (GBS). Under these projects, broadband service providers have been offered grant aid of over €480,000 to part-fund the roll-out of broadband network in these areas. Today’s sixteen approved projects represent an overall investment of over €1,000,000, and they will cover 27 communities with an overall population of over 20,000 people.

The GBS initiative is targeted at rural and low population areas that would be unlikely to get broadband services in the near term. The first 16 projects are located in the counties of Clare, Galway, Kerry, Leitrim, Limerick, Mayo, Meath, and Tipperary. The approved projects are:

Quin Village, Co. Clare
    Cois Fharraige Gaelteacht, Co. Galway (includes Bearna, Na Forbacha, An Spidéal, Indreabhán, An Tullach and Baile na hAbhann)
    Tarbet, Co. Kerry
    Manorhamilton, Co. Leitrim
    Caherconlish, Co. Limerick
    Cappamore, Co. Limerick
    Aghamore, Tooreen & Kilkelly, Co Mayo
    Ballyheane, Co. Mayo
    Balla, Co. Mayo
    Charlestown, Co. Mayo
    Croagh Patrick (South Clew Bay), Co. Mayo
    Crossmolina & Ardagh Co. Mayo
    Foxford, Ballyvary & Straide, Co. Mayo
    Athboy, Co. Meath
    Longwood, Co. Meath
    Newport, Co. Tipperary

While announcing the first group of approved projects, the Minister said that he was ‘delighted with the overwhelming response from towns and communities across Ireland. Over 130 applications have been received by my Department, which cover more than 200 towns and villages and another 150 rural areas’. The Minister added that ‘over 300,000 people live in the areas covered by these rural broadband proposals’.

The County & Group Broadband Scheme was launched by Minister Dempsey in January. The Minister highlighted ‘the tremendous support that the Group Broadband Scheme has received from the County Councils and the Regional Authorities’.

Small towns and rural areas face great difficulties getting an affordable broadband service because of their low populations and expensive set-up costs. The County & Group Broadband Scheme is designed to promote investment in broadband access infrastructure in these regions by contributing grant aid of up to 55% of the infrastructure costs. €4 million has been earmarked for the second phase of this initiative, out of a total multi-annual budget of €25 million. The County & Group Broadband Scheme is co-funded by the E-commerce and Communications Measures of the Border, Midlands and Western and Southern and Eastern Regional Operational Programmes of the National Development Plan 2000-2006.
    Well done to all those involved in these towns. Will be interesting to see the technologies that are going to be used.

So far the GBS has only used up €4 million out of the €25 million budget, thats a lot of dosh to play with after the GBS applications fizzle out. I hope its not just handed to the incumbent to complete the final 10% coverage thats missing. We are at 90% coverage lads aren't we..?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The ones I recognise are all end to end wireless but there could be a few DSL and/or VSAT jobbies in there.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ten of the sixteen (all those in Limerick, Mayo and Tipp) are definitely FWA projects. It will be interesting to see what the others are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

so is the Galway one , its a FWA 3.5Ghz project actually .

Manorhamilton has a MAN (just like Gweedore and Kiltimagh ) , I sincerely hope that they are not dropping a VSAT in there as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

My congrats to Muck and his buddies.
    thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Looks like most of the Meath ones around me are Ildana VSAT

Longwood and Summerhill in particular. In those communities, I am well known, so I expect to be able to pass on real life experiences.

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement