Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to by a stand alone Steam Wand ONLY

• 09-02-2012 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Did a few searches but cant seem to find a steam wand that works on it's own (i.e. not attached to expensive machine)
    I already have a grinder and espresso pot and would like to make lattes?

Anyone help? In dublin area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I looked into this before, to get a stove top steam wand was working out at €100+
    It'd be cheaper to buy a cheap espresso machine and just use the wand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ok had a feeling it was going to be like that...or else hook a few bic biro tubes up to my kettle..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

How about something like this?

http://www.nespresso.com/aeroccino3/?l=en_CH

chris85 wrote: »
    How about something like this?

http://www.nespresso.com/aeroccino3/?l=en_CH

Yes I think that's exactly what i want (please be not crazy money!!)

Ok sorry to be a pain again but where do you get the Aeroccino 3 in Ireland? ive only found them as part of a bigger unit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭donnacha

Armelodie wrote: »
    Hi
    Did a few searches but cant seem to find a steam wand that works on it's own (i.e. not attached to expensive machine)

PPC wrote: »
    I looked into this before, to get a stove top steam wand was working out at €100+
    It'd be cheaper to buy a cheap espresso machine and just use the wand.

Looked into this also back in the day, no joy - there is definitely a gap in the market considering most mid-range espresso machines only have a single boiler so you run into timing issues between making the espresso and then creating the micro-foam.

OP - if you are using a Moka Pot then I'd suggest you go down the least expensive route and buy a hand milk frother from Bodum or Bialetti - you can pick them up for cheaper in TK Maxx if you keep an eye out.
    Alternatively you could try out the Hostess which possibly does the exact same thing as the Nespresso device

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Ok sorry to be a pain again but where do you get the Aeroccino 3 in Ireland? ive only found them as part of a bigger unit?

I sent you a PM there, Armelodie.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

donnacha wrote: »
    Looked into this also back in the day, no joy - there is definitely a gap in the market considering most mid-range espresso machines only have a single boiler so you run into timing issues between making the espresso and then creating the micro-foam.

Personally I froth the milk first and then make the espresso as I find it easier to cool down the water than to wait for it to heat up.

Also I think the espresso would lose a lot if you leave it sitting for even a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Hi

I bought this sometime ago so I could make lattes at work

Frother

It is not exactly this model but close enough. Does the work I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

adrian522 wrote: »
    Personally I froth the milk first and then make the espresso as I find it easier to cool down the water than to wait for it to heat up.

Also I think the espresso would lose a lot if you leave it sitting for even a few minutes.

At home I think that would be the best route, recently trained as a barista and am working as one now, have a lot to learn yet, but have a new found love for coffee.
    One of the things that was stressed during training was not to leave the espresso sitting around for any lenght of time at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I used one of these with a Moka pot before I got a machine, it's pretty decent once you get the hang of it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0001RT2C4/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1329010318&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Interesting. I usually make the espresso and then froth the milk. Between the water heating up for frothing and actually frothing the milk it is about 2-3 minutes the espresso is one its own.

Cheers folks, think i'll go with the Aeroccino3

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Did you find somewhere to purchase it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

You can get it in Brown Thomas in Cork and Dublin. I think it costs €70.00 but it's well worth it. It's fast and easy to clean also. Enjoy!!!!!

Advertisement