Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

hitman79 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what i need to get my PS3 online? Never played online before so haven't a clue. Have broadband in my house downstairs so im guessing i need something on my PS3 to pck up broadband? All help appreciated :D

How do you get a connection to your PC, i can tell you what you need after that.

If you have wifi in the house to get a wireless internet connection to your PCs then you don't need anything.

If you have wires from the router/modem to your pc you'll need more wires or some new wireless setup.

In either case you'll need to have ports forwarded to the PS3 so that all those 1 and 0 end up at the PS3 this is just done with settings on you whatever you already have.

Say mopre about you internet setip and you'll get more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Varik wrote: »
    How do you get a connection to your PC, i can tell you what you need after that.

If you have wifi in the house to get a wireless internet connection to your PCs then you don't need anything.

If you have wires from the router/modem to your pc you'll need more wires or some new wireless setup.

In either case you'll need to have ports forwarded to the PS3 so that all those 1 and 0 end up at the PS3 this is just done with settings on you whatever you already have.

Say mopre about you internet setip and you'll get more help.

Sorry for the lack of info but yep i have wireless internet. Im with Eircom and just bascally switch on my modem. (http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jamesgalvin.com/images/eircom_netopia.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php%3Ft%3D2056095036&h=189&w=250&sz=14&tbnid=ZaMXzUqir_SWOM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Deircom%2Bmodem&zoom=1&q=eircom+modem&hl=en&usg=__4FWG5ndN3s0MBU2VGYXlu07v9NI=&sa=X&ei=zE3qTJrjNYGAhQfkxd0P&ved=0CC8Q9QEwBQ)
    Its the one in that thread. So for someone who hasn't a clue is there much involved in getting my PS3 online? Cheers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

hitman79 wrote: »

It's extremely easy, on the XMB, you will find an internet connection setup section, Scan to find your wireless network and just follow prompts.
    I can't give a detailed description as I'm away from PS3 at the moment, but it will take you no more than 5 minutes.

From a post in another thread:
    F1ngers wrote: »
    I do mine wirelessly... follow these steps.
    1. Easy
    2. Wireless
    3. Scan
    4. Choose your access point
    5. Password if applicable
    6. Press x to save settings
    7. Test connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

It's extremely easy, on the XMB, you will find an internet connection setup section, Scan to find your wireless network and just follow prompts.
    I can't give a detailed description as I'm away from PS3 at the moment, but it will take you no more than 5 minutes.

From a post in another thread:

Cheers for that...will give it a try tonight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

donmeister wrote: »
    Odd one for ye folks, could anyone help?

My 40gb Phat PS3 reads blu-rays most of the time other times nothing comes up on XMB , then sometimes about 5 mins or less into a game it freezes, and then other times games work grand for hours on end! Will a replace the laser or what will I do, its driving me mental.

Okay so an update, opened up the ps3 and gave it a good clean and cleaned the blu-ray laser lightly also. Put it together again and all working grand in FIFA 11 for about then minutes, but heres the odd part, it doesnt stall, but I can here the drive struggle to spin the disc, game keeps playing but commentary and crowd sounds go, but I can hear the players grunting? WTF!

I actually have no idea whats wrong with it, the laser, the drive itself or the hard drive (I googled a code that was presented before saying the file system is corrupted. Went into recovery menu restored and nothing changed, so maybe a change of hard drive might fix, or just buy a new cunting ps3 :D

EDIT: Just went into recovery mode and its throwing up error, The hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

hi guys looking for a kes400aaa blu ray drive fat 40gb model, mine boll**ks, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hello all. I've twice tried this morning to download the above system update only for it to stop at about 60% and the screen goes black and nothing will work on the console,so I had to plug it out the first time after much waiting. Currently black screen now,can anyone help me out? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

greetings wrote: »
    Hello all. I've twice tried this morning to download the above system update only for it to stop at about 60% and the screen goes black and nothing will work on the console,so I had to plug it out the first time after much waiting. Currently black screen now,can anyone help me out? Cheers.

you could try downloading it from the playstation website to a usb stick using a pc/laptop and install it from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Thanks,can't find a USB here,will have to get one.

chris1970 wrote: »
    hi guys looking for a kes400aaa blu ray drive fat 40gb model, mine boll**ks, cheers

From ebay, http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=kes400aaa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Hello I recently tried to move my PS3 to a different room. It was originaly connected to a Samsung TV via hdmi and connected to the internet, all was well untill I tried to set it up in the next room. The new tv is a samsung aswell although it is a different model. I connected it through the hdmi and couldnt get any signal even though the PS3 was turned on.
    Anyway not to bore you but long story short i noticed when a game is inserted and open the PS3 has a connection with the TV. The minute you try sign in online, watch a movie or listen to music etc. the console suddenly losses signal.
    Ive tried google but havnt had any luck.
    Any help would be appreciated as i cant make any sense of it.

Thanks in advance.
    KOH

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    Hello I recently tried to move my PS3 to a different room. It was originaly connected to a Samsung TV via hdmi and connected to the internet, all was well untill I tried to set it up in the next room. The new tv is a samsung aswell although it is a different model. I connected it through the hdmi and couldnt get any signal even though the PS3 was turned on.
    Anyway not to bore you but long story short i noticed when a game is inserted and open the PS3 has a connection with the TV. The minute you try sign in online, watch a movie or listen to music etc. the console suddenly losses signal.
    Ive tried google but havnt had any luck.
    Any help would be appreciated as i cant make any sense of it.

Thanks in advance.
    KOH
    You have to change resolution of ps3 video output to value which your new/old samusung can accept,how go to your previous configuration in tv samsung nr 1 chage resolution to lowest and go back to tv samsung nr 2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I recently got a lcd hdtv and I've read that theres a thing called a HDMI cable that will improve the graphics or look of the game and you use it instead of the scart/yellow,red,white cables. Is this true?
    Also, would I need to change any of the Playstations settings if I were using the HDMI cable?

J. Marston wrote: »
    I recently got a lcd hdtv and I've read that theres a thing called a HDMI cable that will improve the graphics or look of the game and you use it instead of the scart/yellow,red,white cables. Is this true?

Yes.
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Also, would I need to change any of the Playstations settings if I were using the HDMI cable?

* Turn off the PS3 using the main power switch on the back
    * Unplug the PS3 power cord off the wall socket
    * Turn off and unplug the TV
    * Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the PS3 (HDMI OUT)
    * Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the TV (HDMI Input)
    * Plug in the TV and PS3. Turn on the TV and the PS3, the PS3 should automatically detect the new HDMI
    settings

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yes.

* Turn off the PS3 using the main power switch on the back
    * Unplug the PS3 power cord off the wall socket
    * Turn off and unplug the TV
    * Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the PS3 (HDMI OUT)
    * Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the TV (HDMI Input)
    * Plug in the TV and PS3. Turn on the TV and the PS3, the PS3 should automatically detect the new HDMI
    settings
    Cheers, thanks a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

whats the cheapest best router to get for online gaming with the ps3?

By 'best', I mean the one which requires the least amount of manual intervention to get Fifa 11 to work for me online against my mates.
    I think it might just be easier to buy another router as ive spent so much time reading up on the router I have now but with no luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I've been using my PS3 for about a week now and I've noticed that it eats up all my internet speeds. My computer's broadband speed is very slow when the PS£ is on, not downloading anything, just on. When the XBOX is on this doesn't happen. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

I've been using my PS3 for about a week now and I've noticed that it eats up all my internet speeds. My computer's broadband speed is very slow when the PS£ is on, not downloading anything, just on. When the XBOX is on this doesn't happen. Any ideas?

ive noticed that CoD-B.O. is very heavy on the net connection so maybe thats it, although it wont be heavy all the time !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Thing is though, I haven't played anything online yet at all, just fownloaded a few demos. Yet, it's slowed down the pc speed when it's not even on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Hey all, hope someone can help me!

I had my PS3 in the kitchen on a Sharp LCD Tv, connected with a HDMI cable. We got a new Sharp LED Tv for the living room so I wanted to move the PS3 to that room.

So I moved it all, connected it and the light on the PS3 (which is normally Blue) has changed to green and it is coming up "No Signal"

Whats the problem and how do I fix it??

Thanks in advance :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Hi guys, Having a bit of a problem that started today. Already posted it over in the playstation forums. Hopefully someone here might be able to enlighten me as to what the hell is going on with my PS3

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/80029940-error-and-freezing-while-watching-Inception-Blu-Ray/td-p/12011513

Here's what I wrote over there:

"Hope someone here can help me with this error.
    Have 40Gb PS3 (HD upgraded to 320Gb)

I was watching Inception for the first time on Blu Ray and the film froze and 1hr22mins into the film. The film kept playing, as in, the timer on the film kept ticking on. I could get it rewind/fastforward but the PS3 took forever to actually do what I wanted it to do. So I stopped the film. Started the film again and I got an error (80029940) and the disc couldn't be played. Deleted the bluray cache file from the PS3 for Inception before I took out the disc, made sure that there were no defects/fingerprints on it and popped it back in. The film loaded, no error but decided to freeze at the exact same spot.

The thing is, I dont think it's a disc problem, as it worked in my bro's PS3 yesterday. But the PS3 will allow me to play games.

Anyone got any ideas on troubleshooting this problem?
    Any suggestions? Does it sound like a dirty lense, even though it loads other films and games too, no problem? Could the Blu Ray drive be on it's way out?
    Sounds like it could be a software issue rather than a hardware issue to me based on the fact that if I keep fast forwarding the film it will eventually play for me some 10 minutes later. I haven't checked if it will skip later on in the film though."

Go to settings, and selecting "restore system settings"

Also try turning of "super white"

Update

It usually a scratched or dirty disc, but it can be dirt on the lens try using some disc cleaning solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Varik wrote: »
    Go to settings, and selecting "restore system settings"

Also try turning of "super white"

Update

It usually a scratched or dirty disc, but it can be dirt on the lens try using some disc cleaning solution.
    By doing a 'restore system setings', do I lose any data like save games/downloads?
    Should I back up them?

By doing a 'restore system setings', do I lose any data like save games/downloads?
    Should I back up them?

back up anyway if you need to return it or get it repaired it be good to have done.

"Restore Default Settings" won't delete anything but "Restore PS3™ System" will.
    try the setting one first.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lissacahaluke

Hey guys i recently got a ps3 with black ops and when i try to use multiplayer online i click find match it says found 50 matches and joining lobby and then no sessions were found. any help? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Not really a technical problem but it's too small a question for its own thread

Are the hard-drives for the original and slim PS3s the same, and if they are is it just as easy to replace in the slim as the original?

Daemos wrote: »
    Not really a technical problem but it's too small a question for its own thread

Are the hard-drives for the original and slim PS3s the same, and if they are is it just as easy to replace in the slim as the original?

The HDDs are the same for both old and new PS3s.
    The slim HDDs are easier to replace than the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

just got the yellow light of death on my original 60GB PS3 any one know of a good and cheap(i.e. not through Sony) way to get it fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

part 1 of 3 im sure you can find the other 2

worked perfectly for my mates one for a while it really is only a short term fix!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

part 1 of 3 im sure you can find the other 2

worked perfectly for my mates one for a while it really is only a short term fix!!!

I had this done eighteen months ago, and my PS3 is still going strong.

Advertisement