Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to get..

• 20-11-2015 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question and I hope it is in the right place.
    Does anyone know where I would definitely get a simple ethernet switch (to set up a network for a large format printer to a pc) in Dublin city centre tomorrow (Sat 21st)?

Can't wait for it to order one online.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Here.

Theyre at the back of St James, you can arrange pickup with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

At a pinch, Maplin have Netgear and TP-Link switches too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

If I could ask a further question. I'm not a newbie to tech but I am to networks.
    I have a D-Link print server http://www.dlinkworks.com/DP-301P.asp and several ethernet cables.
    With the switch added, is that all I need to get communicating with the printer? The I/O card seems to be dead on the printer so hence using this method. Printer is working fine (test prints) otherwise.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

What printer is it - does that printer have Parallel + Ethernet, or just Parallel?

If just parallel, if the IO card is bust, you may be buggered?

If not, r if the printer has ethernet, I would tend to plug it into an internet router's built in switch if you have one there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Dardania wrote: »
    What printer is it - does that printer have Parallel + Ethernet, or just Parallel?

If just parallel, if the IO card is bust, you may be buggered?

If not, r if the printer has ethernet, I would tend to plug it into an internet router's built in switch if you have one there?

\this is the i/o card, the printer is telling me 'i/o card not found' so presuming it is kaput. 140.jpg
    There is a parrellel port underneath into which I am plugging the D-Link server and taking an ethernet cable from it.

I may be quite wrong doing this!
    It is a large format printer...so I can't get it to my internet router. I have tried using tutorials to convert an old eircom router but haven't managed to do it or find a tutorial that is specific to an Eircom router. Hence going to get a ethernet switch.

Thanks for input and hope I am making sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I see, so it's a HP...

Don't have direct experience with their large format printers, but I do have experience witht heir LaserJets from the beige plastic era. And they don't call the ethernet card an I/O port - they call it jetdirect. so you may still be okay on that front...if you can find any info on jetdirect in the menus?
    If you can find jetdirect, you need to get it to find the IP address automatically to assign itself. Sometimes you can force this activity by holding down the Go button while the printer is starting up (or else network reset thorugh the jetdirect menu system)

Also, a handy tool for working with HP printer jetdirects is the HP download tool: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=13218
    and you may need to include updated firmware for your jetdirect card in a folder on your PC too - you can get the firmware for your card from: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03754288#bpj07429_FirmwareFileDownloads

The reason IO cards were there was for external kit (or possibly giving new printer firmwares...)

The theory if you were to reuse an old eircom router as a switch would be to get onto it's web interface (basically plug you PC into it, and go to http://192.168.1.254 in the web browser) and disable DHCP somehow... password used be broadband1 depending on the router...

If that doesn't work, as you say ethernet switch might be easiest...

Advertisement