Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Iolfree down

• 10-05-2014 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Anyone else with this problem today ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Doesn't look good - might be a reason for it though

go to http://iolfree.ie/

you get :

<html>
    <head>STONE</head>
    </html>

ESAT own the domain name now :

domain: iolfree.ie
    descr: Esat Telecommunications Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

My email client is sending and receiving from iolfree.ie without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 liamda

I am also unable to log on to my email since my first attempt at 9.00 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Still nothing. Any ideas how to contact provider ?

BT Ireland no longer serves the residential or small business SME, market in Rep.of Ireland.

If your query is a tech support one, or relates to

legacy webmail such as IOL, Ocean or Esatclear you should free phone 1800 924 925,

select option 3 followed by option 2.

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »

Just rang them there GC. Temporary glitch, but time to change by the looks of things.
    Thanks GC, really appreciate that. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

seligehgit wrote: »
    I've added my iol mail as a pop3 mail account to my g mail?Thanks Mr. G it appears to allow me to check for mail,hopefully I can access my iol mail via that route.

might work for you too, taken from here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90344950#post90344950

Gone again. Rang them there...should be back this evening, for anyone in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,809 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I use an email client, Incrediamail, and can send and receive iol webmail without any problems. However the missus usually logs in directly but hasn't been able to access her mail for the last 4 or 5 days.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Collect her mail via gMail acting as a POP client.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,809 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ED E wrote: »
    Collect her mail via gMail acting as a POP client.
    Was looking at that (sorry, not an expert on these things) and while I could see gmail options to move mail from another provider to my gmail account (Im on my PC here) the missus couldn't see this option on hers. She's using an android tablet if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sing into her gmail on a browser, not the app.

Then follow steps below:
    http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/et_collect_pop.htm

You need to put in the iol settings in the relevant fields. If you check incredimail itll be the same but with her account name and password.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Captain Cook

Hi All,
    Having the same problem with iolfree since Friday 5th.Home page wont connect or web page does not exist/temporarily down message appears on screen.Tried different Browsers to no avail.Never had this problem with iolfree before.Home page for iol connects ok.
    If you use mail2web.com and enter your email address and password you can at least read and delete your emails.
    In the same predicament .Who can we contact?Reading Wikipedia iol was bought by Vodafone,
    Any update on this matter would be appreciated
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Captain Cook

Hi All,
    iolfree is back working.Came back late last night.No explanation given.Might be worth creating an alternative email address like gmail etc for the future,
    Regards,
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Is it worth signing up for free emails from IOL? I the Mozilla Thunderbird email client.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Worztron wrote: »
    Is it worth signing up for free emails from IOL? I the Mozilla Thunderbird email client.

Nope. It could shut down any time, especiallysince Vodafone shut down their email service ans VF took over BT's residential customers. They took over IOL as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Definitely not worth it. In fact, you can't even register for an IOL email address anymore, the scripts on the registration page were castrated a few years ago.
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Nope. It could shut down any time, especiallysince Vodafone shut down their email service ans VF took over BT's residential customers. They took over IOL as far as I know

Could certainly go at any time! I'm surprised it has lasted as long as this.
    But it's still owned and managed by BT Ireland. Vodafone never took that over.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

IOL allows VF customers to relay through mail.iol.ie though I don't think there's any encryption. It allows for a bigger attachment size or so I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Anyone still use iolfree.ie? I am having problems this morning with recieving emails, but not sending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its down for me.

An error has occurred
    Cannot connect to POP host pop.iolfree.ie:0

Return to Inbox (if logged in)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Anyone still use iolfree.ie? I am having problems this morning with recieving emails, but not sending.

Yep, I use it. I actually moved to a gmail account,as iolfree had a tiny capacity, but incoming mail is still through iolfree. No problems yet, anyway. The usual pile of junk mail came in this morning.

Its down for me.

An error has occurred
    Cannot connect to POP host pop.iolfree.ie:0

Return to Inbox (if logged in)

Thats the same error I get on Webmail. Also get error on Outlook as follows :-

Task 'pop.iolfree.ie - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Not sure if it is connected, but when I forward my iolfree messages to gmail, one of the messages contained the following :-

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The message "skany pisma" from xxx@vp.pl contained a virus or a suspicious attachment. It was therefore not fetched from your account xxx@iolfree.ie and has been left on the server.
    Message-ID: <xxx@dwechnkbloqxov.eddvbsfob.pt>
    If you wish to write to this person, just hit reply and send a message.

Thanks,
    The Gmail Team
    [/FONT]

Hi,

is iolfree.ie down again? I get a mailbox full error when I try to connect this morning. Not sure how to dianose this, or even if this is supported any more.

thank you
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hi,

is iolfree.ie down again? I get a mailbox full error when I try to connect this morning. Not sure how to dianose this, or even if this is supported any more.

thank you
    M

I got this email on Friday, purportedly from iolfree.ie. Not at all sure if its genuine or not.

SECURITY noreply@iolfree.ie via batelco.com.bh

Dear user

In this month of AUGUST we are deleting all E-mails that are no longer in use from our database, in order to reduce congestion, Please if this your E-mail is still in use kindly click the link below to verify

Click:[noparse]http://iolfree-security-services-admin.weebly.com/[/noparse]

to update it and prevent it from being deleted. We have update our security server for this month to enhance your online security and protect our customers from online fraud, If you do not carryout within the next 48hours this action your current email password will be expired
    Appreciate your understanding and support to secure your account.

Security Webmail call center
    973 17404988 (toll free 24 hours).

Thank you very much for using IOLFREE Webmail
    Customer Support

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A weebly.com web address? A US style phone number? Dodgy english? Of course it's not genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Hi,

thank you
    M
    Had issues recently. Eventually got through to BT who maintain iol server. Space in online mailbox is limited. Go in online www.iol.ie sign in and clear out - clear out all mobile devices iPad/iPhone etc... Partially worked!
    You can try 1800924925 Mon-Fri took 30 mins of repeat dialling to get answer. At w/ends it is switched to business support and no help for consumers.
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

SECURITY noreply@iolfree.ie via batelco.com.bh

I got as far as this and did not need to read any further. Of course its fake.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've removed the automatic URL tags off that site to hinder the more trusting amongst us who may go clicking that, but still leave it visible enough for discussion purposes.

• Advertisement

As of Friday, I cannot get messages from my inbox using Outlook, but can with iolfree webmail, albeit with an error.

Is this the end?

Advertisement